Thoughts on NYU$ vs Cornell$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PedroHierro

Thoughts on NYU$ vs Cornell$$$

Postby PedroHierro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi everyone! Need some new perspectives on a tough choice. I'm down to NYU and Cornell, and my career goal is biglaw anywhere in the U.S. (though NYC would be my first choice). If I go to NYU, I'll graduate with about $150,000 in loan debt, vs. Cornell where I would graduate with about $75,000 in loan debt.

Here's my logic (and feel free to correct/amend/expand): If I go to Cornell, I won't be under too much financial pressure. Then, if I end up working in NYC, I still won't be under much financial pressure. Whereas, if I go to NYU, I'll be under significant financial pressure all during law school and for 10 years afterward.

I visited Cornell and liked the city/campus, so that's not a consideration. Still haven't been to NYU, but will go next week to the ASW.

Do you think the benefits of attending NYU over Cornell are legit? Or is the $$$ too much to turn down at Cornell? Thanks for your help!

bk1

Re: Thoughts on NYU$ vs Cornell$$$

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm

I'd take Cornell. Less chance at biglaw but far less risk.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Your answer:
PedroHierro wrote:If I go to Cornell, I won't be under too much financial pressure. Then, if I end up working in NYC, I still won't be under much financial pressure. Whereas, if I go to NYU, I'll be under significant financial pressure all during law school and for 10 years afterward.
Although not perfect, check this out: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:03 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Your answer:
PedroHierro wrote:If I go to Cornell, I won't be under too much financial pressure. Then, if I end up working in NYC, I still won't be under much financial pressure. Whereas, if I go to NYU, I'll be under significant financial pressure all during law school and for 10 years afterward.

It is disingenuous to point out that percentage without referring to the fact that Cornell dropped back to normal levels for the class of 2011 (40% NLJ250).

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:05 pm

bk1 wrote:

It is disingenuous to point out that percentage without referring to the fact that Cornell dropped back to normal levels for the class of 2011 (40% NLJ250).

Very well. But my answer of Cornell over NYU with those money considerations still stands.

PedroHierro

Postby PedroHierro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 pm

That's interesting, thanks. I wonder if that was a one year "fluke" or if Cornell will continue to place 50%+ into NLJ250? Nevertheless, 40% of NYU's graduating class is bigger than Cornell's entire graduating class...

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 pm

NYU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cornell

Take NYU!

You guys are talking about 75k risk!!!???? You're going to NYU Law! Shut that shit up!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm

PedroHierro wrote:That's interesting, thanks. I wonder if that was a one year "fluke" or if Cornell will continue to place 50%+ into NLJ250? Nevertheless, 40% of NYU's graduating class is bigger than Cornell's entire graduating class...

Doubtful.

That being said, I think this is still easily Cornell. Yes, you will have a smaller chance at getting biglaw, but if you don't get it (which is still very possible at NYU) you will be much better off with the manageable amount of debt.

If you would not be okay with doing anything other than biglaw then sure, take NYU, but realize you still have a hefty chance (read: 30-40%) of not landing it. I would say you need to be okay if you don't hit biglaw and Cornell is just the best overall option at that price (especially considering your preference for NYC).

EDIT: Also, class size is really irrelevant to job prospects. Just because Georgetown places a higher quantity of people into something than Cornell doesn't make it a better school.

PedroHierro

Postby PedroHierro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for the posts and the links; they've been very helpful.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”