Washington University (STL) or Boston College?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Washington University in St. Louis
25%
Boston College
75%

Total votes: 63

lincolnadams74

Postby lincolnadams74 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 am

EDIT: I just received a scholly offer from BC. See my post on third page for explanation of cost differences.

I'm comparing Washington University in St. Louis and Boston College. No scholly offer from either, sadly, but loan offer from BC and hopefully loan offer from WashU to come. (Just got accepted to WashU recently.) There are many arguments to be made either way, it seems, and I could really use some help in deciding.

JOB PLACEMENT: Based on the following data, BC has the edge in NLJ 250 placement, which is important in terms of my career goals: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

RANKING: In contrast, WashU has the higher USN ranking (18) over BC (27) ... But in the data referenced above, BC is 16 and WashU is 25 for NLJ 250 placement. How to reconcile this? I give the edge to biglaw placement. What do you think?

COST: There are obvious cost of living differences between the cities. I am willing to accept a higher cost of living in Boston. But WashU at sticker is more expensive than BC, which is a drawback for me but not a dealbreaker if it would truly be the better choice.

LOCATION: I have ties to St. Louis, but I would prefer to establish myself on the East Coast for the next 3-8 years and enjoy life over there. I visited Boston and liked it a lot. I'm not too excited about settling down in the Midwest, or at least having my job prospects tied down there if I'm unable to overcome the regional barrier.

OVERALL: My theory is that BC would give me better job prospects in the short term (and ideally the long term) with its location on the East Coast and apparent edge in biglaw placement. However, WashU is obviously a highly regarded law school, and by some measures a better school overall than BC. By the same token, the job market and overall economic activity in Boston/NYC/DC is arguably superior to the market in St. Louis and the Midwest.

I need to decide in the next 10-20 days. Please offer your thoughts and vote in the poll. I thank you in advance for your comments, and good luck to everyone else in the same boat with their own decisions.
Last edited by lincolnadams74 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Re: Washington University (STL) or Boston College?

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:59 am

lincolnadams74 wrote:I'm comparing Washington University in St. Louis and Boston College. No scholly offer from either, sadly, but loan offer from BC and hopefully loan offer from WashU to come. (Just got accepted to WashU recently.) There are many arguments to be made either way, it seems, and I could really use some help in deciding.

JOB PLACEMENT: Based on the following data, BC has the edge in NLJ 250 placement, which is important in terms of my career goals: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/goto%20l ... s_main.pdf

RANKING: In contrast, WashU has the higher USN ranking (18) over BC (27) ... But in the data referenced above, BC is 16 and WashU is 25 for NLJ 250 placement. How to reconcile this? I give the edge to biglaw placement. What do you think?

COST: There are obvious cost of living differences between the cities. I am willing to accept a higher cost of living in Boston. But WashU at sticker is more expensive than BC, which is a drawback for me but not a dealbreaker if it would truly be the better choice.

LOCATION: I have ties to St. Louis, but I would prefer to establish myself on the East Coast for the next 3-8 years and enjoy life over there. I visited Boston and liked it a lot. I'm not too excited about settling down in the Midwest, or at least having my job prospects tied down there if I'm unable to overcome the regional barrier.

OVERALL: My theory is that BC would give me better job prospects in the short term (and ideally the long term) with its location on the East Coast and apparent edge in biglaw placement. However, WashU is obviously a highly regarded law school, and by some measures a better school overall than BC. By the same token, the job market and overall economic activity in Boston/NYC/DC is arguably superior to the market in St. Louis and the Midwest.

I need to decide in the next 10-20 days. Please offer your thoughts and vote in the poll. I thank you in advance for your comments, and good luck to everyone else in the same boat with their own decisions.
You'll probably get a scholarship offer from WashU if you were just accepted, they take time. Given your circumstances and preferences, I can't really think of a reason for you not to go to BC soooo... why is this a question?

lincolnadams74

Postby lincolnadams74 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:07 am

stratocophic wrote:You'll probably get a scholarship offer from WashU if you were just accepted, they take time. Given your circumstances and preferences, I can't really think of a reason for you not to go to BC soooo... why is this a question?

It's a question because WashU is an awesome school, and so is BC ... both have pros and cons as discussed above, and I need help sorting through it all. That seems like a pretty good reason to ask for advice.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:09 am

bc by far imo

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 am

lincolnadams74 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:You'll probably get a scholarship offer from WashU if you were just accepted, they take time. Given your circumstances and preferences, I can't really think of a reason for you not to go to BC soooo... why is this a question?

It's a question because WashU is an awesome school, and so is BC ... both have pros and cons as discussed above, and I need help sorting through it all. That seems like a pretty good reason to ask for advice.
Not criticizing, I'm just saying that your factors all overwhelmingly point to BC. USNews is a non-issue; don't consider it. The NLJ chart is a better proxy, if you keep in mind that you should attend a school in the region you want to settle in. Since BC fits that description, it's an easy decision if you don't hate the campus or Boston in general or whatever.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:36 am

lincolnadams74 wrote:I'm comparing Washington University in St. Louis and Boston College. No scholly offer from either, sadly, but loan offer from BC and hopefully loan offer from WashU to come. (Just got accepted to WashU recently.) There are many arguments to be made either way, it seems, and I could really use some help in deciding.

lincolnadams74

Postby lincolnadams74 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:52 am

stratocophic wrote:Not criticizing, I'm just saying that your factors all overwhelmingly point to BC. USNews is a non-issue; don't consider it. The NLJ chart is a better proxy, if you keep in mind that you should attend a school in the region you want to settle in. Since BC fits that description, it's an easy decision if you don't hate the campus or Boston in general or whatever.

Cool. Thanks for the input. What you say is true ... most of my factors do seem to point toward BC, I suppose. I'm just trying to be thorough.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 am

BC.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:57 am

lincolnadams74 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Not criticizing, I'm just saying that your factors all overwhelmingly point to BC. USNews is a non-issue; don't consider it. The NLJ chart is a better proxy, if you keep in mind that you should attend a school in the region you want to settle in. Since BC fits that description, it's an easy decision if you don't hate the campus or Boston in general or whatever.

Cool. Thanks for the input. What you say is true ... most of my factors do seem to point toward BC, I suppose. I'm just trying to be thorough.
Makes sense, I just really can't see any reason for you to go to WUSTL unless they give you a huge scholarship... and I say this as someone with a slight bias

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 am

BC if you want biglaw.

If you don't care about biglaw:
BC if you want the northeast.
WUSTL if you want the midwest.

Personal choice.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:41 am

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:BC if you want biglaw.

Personal choice.
Fixed. Biglaw exists in the midwest, and you shouldn't go to BC if you want it.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 am

stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

Neither one gives great chances, the difference is pretty marginal and probably less so now than when the last NLJ numbers were determined. So, it really comes down to regional preference and cost.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:50 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

Neither one gives great chances, the difference is pretty marginal and probably less so now than when the last NLJ numbers were determined. So, it really comes down to regional preference and cost.

Didn't BC do something like 33% while WashU did like 16%? That's a pretty big difference IMO.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:53 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

Didn't BC do something like 33% while WashU did like 16%? That's a pretty big difference IMO.
Doesn't matter if you want to work in the midwest. If you don't care where you want to work, it does.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:58 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

Looks like it's 33 and 19 which is a large difference. What a lot of people don't realize that in the midwest there is a good amount of non NLJ firms that still pay pretty well and not that far from market in the area (for st. louis that is about 100-110k). Also, this was the first year that the gap was that big which probably says something about the fact that NYC whethered ITE better than the midwest did (since this hiring happened right in the middle of the worst times). I'm not saying BC doesn't offer a better chance at an NLJ firm, because it does, but the difference is pretty marginal once you take into account all the evidence.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Where's Romo?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Where's Romo?

At this time he's surely in class. In the spirit of Romo, though, I'll tell you neither school is worth sticker price.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:37 pm

stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

I don't disagree. Biglaw certainly exists in the midwest. Unfortunately, only around 15% of WUSTL grads actually get positions in it.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:41 pm

OP -

BC = Boston
WashU = St. Louis/Chicago

Neither is worth a lot of debt and you should not attend either for big law prospects.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP -

BC = Northeast
WashU = Midwest

Neither is worth a lot of debt and you should not attend either for big law prospects.

Fixed.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

I don't disagree. Biglaw certainly exists in the midwest. Unfortunately, only around 15% of WUSTL grads actually get positions in it.

Who are you, and where are you getting that % from?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm

stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

Even at the worst of ite the number wasn't that low. If you include clerk ships it's regularly around 30%

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Personal choice.

Even at the worst of ite the number wasn't that low. If you include clerk ships it's regularly around 30%

if you include clerkships for BC its around 40-50 :D

BC FTW
Last edited by tram988 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm

tram988 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Fixed. Biglaw exists in the midwest, and you shouldn't go to BC if you want it.

if you include clerkships for BC its around 45-50 :D

BC FTW

It's around 40% you are right. And it still stands that the 10% difference is less important than regional preferences

Return to “Choosing a Law School”