Mizzou or Ole Miss? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
samaside

New

Mizzou or Ole Miss?

Post by samaside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 pm

All right so I got into the whole applying for law school game late. Really late. I honestly didn't think I would really get in anywhere and I didn't really aim high because I wasn't expecting such a drastic jump between my first LSAT score and my second one from February of this year. But I did apply and so far have gotten into two currently tier three schools. They both rank at #107 according to the latest rankings so there isn't really much of a difference in that regard. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with either program and which one they would recommend and why. Just throw me the basics. I've never visited either and probably won't get a chance before I choose one so honest opinions are appreciated.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Mizzou or Ole Miss?

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

Sit out a year, reapply. Depending on your score, you may not even need to retake. Please, please don't go to Mizzou or Ole Miss ITE.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Eh, I already took a year off from school and I'm not really interested in taking another. I did the whole wayward traveler thing and I need to do something with myself or I'm going to go freakin' crazy. My GPA and LSAT are fairly decent and I don't know if Phi Betta Kappa helps but I got that going for me too. I applied to a few more competitive schools in the top hundred but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm already competitive, I just got into things late. This is sort of a worst case scenario sort of deal.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Sitting out a cycle has nothing to do with finding yourself, and everything to do with increasing your job prospects. Worst-case scenario is you graduating from Mississippi with huge debt and no job prospects, when literally all you had to do was defer a year and go to a better school, or reapply to Mississippi and get a full ride.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 pm

I'll keep what you've said in mind. And I'm still waiting to hear back from some of other much higher ranking schools that I would obviously choose over either of these schools. But if it comes down to these two I'd like to hear from people who have experience with the areas/schools/programs/etc. to see what they think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm

I think you're missing the point.

Statistically speaking, most every school that admitted you this cycle will likely give you money next cycle. They won't do so this year because you applied so late.

Statistically speaking, many schools you applied for, and were denied admission to, will likely admit you next year. The won't do so this year because you applied so late.

Sure, you might be able to squeeze in a higher ranked school this year at the wire. But why not wait one more year, build up some savings, and increase your options (as opposed to taking what you can get this year)?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 am

@Patrick:
Oh, I get your point. And believe me, I've put a lot of thought into everything you're saying already. I've talked it through with a lot of people and I could wait another cycle but it really just comes down to a personal choice. I don't want to put off any more. Is it potentially a stupid decision? Hell yeah. I'm not an idiot. I just make idiotic choices sometimes. I know that this could be one of them. But, hey. Trust me, I've done way stupider things and wasted money in way worse ways. And, as I've said, I really just don't want to put it off any more.

@Rock Chalk:
See, that is sort of a hard question for me to answer. I don't have a hometown or a home state because I grew up military. So I could honestly be happy just about anywhere. I mean, I lived for four years in Stockton, CA and that place is consistently ranked as the most miserable place in America. I did graduate from high school in Missouri while my dad was stationed there and while I don't really want to go back to Missouri I could. And I can see what you're saying about competing in the cities. I might be able to work connections in Kansas City and I almost did apply to UMKC. I honestly probably should have. I think Mississippi only has the two law schools so prospects may be better there. And I could probably see myself more as a down home Southerner than a Midwesterner for the rest of my life, lol. But more seriously, I'm a good student. If there is one thing I've ever been good at it's being a student. So I might be able to pull it off at Mizzou? Ugh, I don't know. I wish I knew people who went there that I could ask about things.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 am

Hmm, good point. I do know that the majority of stats say that Ole Miss graduates are employed in small firms. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. I'd like to say that academically I'll be competitive but honestly I have no idea. So I can't really bank on that helping me find work at a firm. I do hear, though, that students at Ole Miss do find work in Tennessee, too. Not as much as they might since they are competing with UTK and Vanderbuilt. Though, I'm honestly more interested in government or military service. Still that's also a very competitive market so Missouri might have more alternatives in the long run. Which is almost not what I want to hear because the more I think about it the more I don't really think I want to go back to Missouri, lol. :P

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 am

Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm

samaside wrote:Hmm, good point. I do know that the majority of stats say that Ole Miss graduates are employed in small firms. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. I'd like to say that academically I'll be competitive but honestly I have no idea. So I can't really bank on that helping me find work at a firm. I do hear, though, that students at Ole Miss do find work in Tennessee, too. Not as much as they might since they are competing with UTK and Vanderbuilt. Though, I'm honestly more interested in government or military service. Still that's also a very competitive market so Missouri might have more alternatives in the long run. Which is almost not what I want to hear because the more I think about it the more I don't really think I want to go back to Missouri, lol. :P
In regards to the bolded, I imagine most Ole Miss grads who work in TN are in the Memphis area, considering that outside of U of Memphis, Ole Miss is the closest law school. I can't imagine Ole Miss places well in Nashville, Knoxville or Chattanooga. IMHO, I wouldn't want to attend a law school where my best post-grad options are Memphis and Jackson.

Just something to consider.

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm

Obviously, neither school gives you much hope of biglaw, but since you're okay with working at a small firm, I think you'll be alright with either. I'm from southern Missouri, and we have successful lawyers from both Ole Miss and Mizzou around here...most of them had to start their own firm, but that's because we're in a rural area, and none of the firms have more than two or three lawyers.
Which, if either, school is in-state? If both are out of state, go to Ole Miss. It's cheaper. Even in-state, without scholarship, Ole Miss will come out to roughly the same price if you establish Mississippi residendency by next year (which is easy to do).
Also, think about quality of life. You'll have similar options career-wise from either school (albeit in different states), but do want to live in the south, or do you want to live in the mid-west? With either one, you're looking at a lifetime in that region, so if you don't like sweet tea and seersucker, you might want to think twice about Ole Miss. Conversely, if you hate the snow, Mizzou would probably be a poor choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”