Hastings vs. Brooklyn ($) (formerly Brooklyn vs. Cardozo)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lowereastside

Hastings vs. Brooklyn ($) (formerly Brooklyn vs. Cardozo)

Postby lowereastside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 pm

[Edit] Just found out I got into Hastings! (Which can I say, was TERRIFYING because they give you a single envelope so it looks like a rejection!)

Now the question is, would I be making the wrong decision turning down 29,000 (40% stips) from Brooklyn to go to Hastings? I would get to pay in-state tuition for Hastings, but its still a difference of ~20k a year. I would be really happy to work in either the Bay Area market or the NYC market. Since I'm from the area, my interests in local government are a lot more applicable to being in SF, while I'm guessing my interests in international business law probably work out better in NY.

I've heard that the grade curve at hastings is pretty harsh, and its employment numbers aren't pretty. Though Brooklyn doesn't exactly have a rosy reputation either.

Has anyone here had any experience picking between the two?

(as for the original post, Cardozo is probably out of the equation with Hastings accepting me. They offered a little bit of need based help, and I still really love the idea of doing your 1L in 3 semesters instead of 2, but the money/convenience issue is a little too much to overcome)

[Original post] I'm not making the wrong decision by picking Brooklyn over Cardozo, am I? Brooklyn is offering me ~29,000 (with 40% stips), while Cardozo is offering nothing.

I'm not really interested in the things that that Cardozo is known for (like dispute resolution, IP). Does the better ranking/OCI make up for the money difference?
Last edited by lowereastside on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Re: Brooklyn vs. Cardozo

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 pm

no one on these boards is going to recommend either of these options. brooklyn is the better choice because of money, but that rank stip is awful.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm

How do you plan on paying back 200k in debt?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:How do you plan on paying back 200k in debt?

My guess would be any combination of IBR, LRAP, inheritance, and salary increases over the course of a long career. Getting out from under student loans is more realistic than ending up homeless with a law degree. Yes legal education is outrageously expensive, but student loans, even at a tier 2 school, do not unequivocally lead toward a doomsday scenario.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 pm

FuManChusco wrote:no one on these boards is going to recommend either of these options. brooklyn is the better choice because of money, but that rank stip is awful.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:no one on these boards is going to recommend either of these options. brooklyn is the better choice because of money, but that rank stip is awful.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Justathought wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:How do you plan on paying back 200k in debt?

My guess would be any combination of IBR, LRAP, inheritance, and salary increases over the course of a long career. Getting out from under student loans is more realistic than ending up homeless with a law degree. Yes legal education is outrageously expensive, but student loans, even at a tier 2 school, do not unequivocally lead toward a doomsday scenario.

no doubt, and there are scenarios where the amount of debt you take on doesn't matter. but you gotta have a plan. and I want to hear OP's plan.

lowereastside

Postby lowereastside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Payback plan: IBR, LRAP, parents, and salary increases, as that one person said. Obviously the dream is to get a BigLaw job, but I know that it'll be difficult at either of those two schools, so I realize I cannot count on that.

Of course, I wish I had better options. Neither school is my first choice but all the best schools I applied to still have not responded with any decision whatsoever, so I'm feeling less and less hopeful. And since the deposit date for Cardozo part-time is coming up (and is not refundable grrr), I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything in choosing Brooklyn over Cardozo. I still figure a stipulation scholarship is better than having to pay sticker.

I would pay more if the difference was really significant, so I'd love to hear more about one vs. the other. Things I am interested in include international law and local government.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I would have to say with BLS's alumni base, local govt from there would be on their side.

You said part time? Do you have a good job at the moment? How about BLS--part time too?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:I would have to say with BLS's alumni base, local govt from there would be on their side.

You said part time? Do you have a good job at the moment? How about BLS--part time too?

Cardozo part-time is different. Its just an extra semester of courses during 1L, and of course you take fewer classes per semester. At the conclusion of 1L you are caught up to the traditional full-time program. The catch is no merit aid, from what I understand.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Go to BLS. You can also live further out in Brooklyn and commute, cutting costs.

lowereastside

Postby lowereastside » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:42 pm

I would go to Brooklyn full time. I sort of wish I had applied to Cardozo full time, as it never occurred to me that Brooklyn might give me any money. And I figured there would be an advantage to doing part time, being able to spread out my 1L year in three semesters. I still really like the idea of Cardozo's part time program, but the money from Brooklyn is very hard to turn down.

And I am currently unemployed :cry:

Last bumped by lowereastside on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:42 pm.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”