UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$) poll closed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$) poll closed

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:34 pm

I am having a little bit of trouble deciding between UChi and Penn (still havent heard back from one of HYS and both of CN). Right now my goal is Biglaw (preferably in NYC, but I would be OK with Chicago), but I am definitely intrigued by clerkships, academia, and public interest. Also, which city do you think is better and why?

My options are:

UChi (30k scholarship)
UPenn (45k scholarship)

Thanks for your feedback, TLS!

Edit:

I visited UChi, and I really liked the atmosphere and the engagement of the student body, especially relative to the only other school which i visited (WUSTL). I was supposed to visit Penn this week, but am ill. I am going to try and reschedule something for next month.

Also, for most of the cycle, I thought UPenn was my number one choice. But after a surprise acceptance from UChi and a generous scholarship offer, I am reconsidering....

Edit #2:

[deleted] Thank you for all your help, TLS!
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:36 pm

take Chi.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Fun, goes, to, die.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:38 pm

FuManChusco wrote:take Chi.


If you like hooking up with awkward autistic girls it's even more Uchi.

uchicagohookups.com

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:take Chi.


If you like hooking up with awkward autistic girls it's even more Uchi.

uchicagohookups.com


Hahaha

Do you Northwestern students try and creep up on there?

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Also, does anybody have any input on the clerkship/academia opportunities?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:take Chi.


If you like hooking up with awkward autistic girls it's even more Uchi.

uchicagohookups.com


Hahaha

Do you Northwestern students try and creep up on there?


It just launched, but I'm going to make sure the answer to that question is yes.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:take Chi.


If you like hooking up with awkward autistic girls it's even more Uchi.

uchicagohookups.com


thank you for this...

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Chi

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Also, does anybody have any input on the clerkship/academia opportunities?


UChi is better for both, and significantly better for academia.

However, both require amazing grades, and therefore, they shouldn't be a huge part of your decision. But Uchi gives you a better shot at big law by about 10% and a better chance at good firms if you get good grades.

Hyde Park sucks but so does Philly.

I'd go to UChicago.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:take Chi.


If you like hooking up with awkward autistic girls it's even more Uchi.

uchicagohookups.com


Hahaha

Do you Northwestern students try and creep up on there?


It just launched, but I'm going to make sure the answer to that question is yes.


Haha shatter that glass ceiling, DF.

Anyways, back on topic...

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:54 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:take Chi.


If you like hooking up with awkward autistic girls it's even more Uchi.

uchicagohookups.com


thank you for this...

--LinkRemoved--


Sweet Jesus I'm signed up. I wonder if they care that I not only don't go to U of C, I don't go to school at all?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

If the thought of visiting Penn makes you ill, then Chicago is the obvious choice.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Also, does anybody have any input on the clerkship/academia opportunities?


UChi is better for both, and significantly better for academia.

However, both require amazing grades, and therefore, they shouldn't be a huge part of your decision. But Uchi gives you a better shot at big law by about 10% and a better chance at good firms if you get good grades.

Hyde Park sucks but so does Philly.

I'd go to UChicago.


After your first year you can move wherever you want in the city. Commuting to Hyde Park would be kind of a bitch, but it's probably better than living there. Get a place in Wicker Park or Logan Square, date socially well adjusted hipsters to your heart's content, and go to the better school.

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby absolutazn87 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:08 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:I am having a little bit of trouble deciding between UChi and Penn (still havent heard back from one of HYS and both of CN). Right now my goal is Biglaw (preferably in NYC, but I would be OK with Chicago), but I am definitely intrigued by clerkships, academia, and public interest. Also, which city do you think is better and why?

My options are:

UChi (30k scholarship)
UPenn (45k scholarship)

Thanks for your feedback, TLS!

Edit:

I visited UChi, and I really liked the atmosphere and the engagement of the student body, especially relative to the only other school which i visited (WUSTL). I was supposed to visit Penn this week, but am ill. I am going to try and reschedule something for next month.

Also, for most of the cycle, I thought UPenn was my number one choice. But after a surprise acceptance from UChi and a generous scholarship offer, I am reconsidering....


Penn would definitely be better than Chicago for NYC but Chicago has more national reach and places quite well in NYC and Chicago which seems to be what you're looking for. Since you don't seem deadset on Biglaw and are also interested in clerkships, academia, and PI, I'd go with Chicago. Their new LRAP blows Penn's out of the water and even covers clerkships!

As far as Chicago vs Philly, Chicago definitely wins. But if you were to ask areas surrounding the school (Hyde Park vs University City), I'd go with Penn's campus.

Penn was my first choice too, and if they give me some $$, I'm totally there but with only a 15k difference, I'd go with Chicago in your case.

User avatar
JFo
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby JFo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:09 pm

I'd visit both, and see which one you like the best, honestly.

The difference is the money is going to be so small when you actually pay it off month/month, that I'd listen to your heart.

Barring that, Chi is obviously where it's at, cause I'm probably going there.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 pm

ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Also, does anybody have any input on the clerkship/academia opportunities?


UChi is better for both, and significantly better for academia.

However, both require amazing grades, and therefore, they shouldn't be a huge part of your decision. But Uchi gives you a better shot at big law by about 10% and a better chance at good firms if you get good grades.

Hyde Park sucks but so does Philly.

I'd go to UChicago.


After your first year you can move wherever you want in the city. Commuting to Hyde Park would be kind of a bitch, but it's probably better than living there. Get a place in Wicker Park or Logan Square, date socially well adjusted hipsters to your heart's content, and go to the better school.


Yuck Hipsters.

Commuting from the northside to HP must be a bitch. Are there any good neighborhoods on the green line or metra electric. I know next to nothing about the south side.

The racist NW suburbian view of the south side is that everything south of Roosevelt is Gary, IN.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I am having a little bit of trouble deciding between UChi and Penn (still havent heard back from one of HYS and both of CN). Right now my goal is Biglaw (preferably in NYC, but I would be OK with Chicago), but I am definitely intrigued by clerkships, academia, and public interest. Also, which city do you think is better and why?

My options are:

UChi (30k scholarship)
UPenn (45k scholarship)

Thanks for your feedback, TLS!

Edit:

I visited UChi, and I really liked the atmosphere and the engagement of the student body, especially relative to the only other school which i visited (WUSTL). I was supposed to visit Penn this week, but am ill. I am going to try and reschedule something for next month.

Also, for most of the cycle, I thought UPenn was my number one choice. But after a surprise acceptance from UChi and a generous scholarship offer, I am reconsidering....


Penn would definitely be better than Chicago for NYC but Chicago has more national reach and places quite well in NYC and Chicago which seems to be what you're looking for. Since you don't seem deadset on Biglaw and are also interested in clerkships, academia, and PI, I'd go with Chicago. Their new LRAP blows Penn's out of the water and even covers clerkships!

As far as Chicago vs Philly, Chicago definitely wins. But if you were to ask areas surrounding the school (Hyde Park vs University City), I'd go with Penn's campus.

Penn was my first choice too, and if they give me some $$, I'm totally there but with only a 15k difference, I'd go with Chicago in your case.


Penn is not "definitely better" for NYC.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Chicago DUH

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:I am having a little bit of trouble deciding between UChi and Penn (still havent heard back from one of HYS and both of CN). Right now my goal is Biglaw (preferably in NYC, but I would be OK with Chicago), but I am definitely intrigued by clerkships, academia, and public interest. Also, which city do you think is better and why?

My options are:

UChi (30k scholarship)
UPenn (45k scholarship)

Thanks for your feedback, TLS!

Edit:

I visited UChi, and I really liked the atmosphere and the engagement of the student body, especially relative to the only other school which i visited (WUSTL). I was supposed to visit Penn this week, but am ill. I am going to try and reschedule something for next month.

Also, for most of the cycle, I thought UPenn was my number one choice. But after a surprise acceptance from UChi and a generous scholarship offer, I am reconsidering....


Penn would definitely be better than Chicago for NYC but Chicago has more national reach and places quite well in NYC and Chicago which seems to be what you're looking for. Since you don't seem deadset on Biglaw and are also interested in clerkships, academia, and PI, I'd go with Chicago. Their new LRAP blows Penn's out of the water and even covers clerkships!

As far as Chicago vs Philly, Chicago definitely wins. But if you were to ask areas surrounding the school (Hyde Park vs University City), I'd go with Penn's campus.

Penn was my first choice too, and if they give me some $$, I'm totally there but with only a 15k difference, I'd go with Chicago in your case.


Penn is not "definitely better" for NYC.


It would be the rare individual indeed who would get NYC biglaw out of one but not the other. Chicago obviously has an edge for clerkships, academia, and Chicago biglaw. Whether that is worth 3 years of misery, that's an individual decision.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Veyron wrote:
It would be the rare individual indeed who would get NYC biglaw out of one but not the other. Chicago obviously has an edge for clerkships, academia, and Chicago biglaw. Whether that is worth 3 years of misery, that's an individual decision.

I lol'd.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Also, does anybody have any input on the clerkship/academia opportunities?


UChi is better for both, and significantly better for academia.

However, both require amazing grades, and therefore, they shouldn't be a huge part of your decision. But Uchi gives you a better shot at big law by about 10% and a better chance at good firms if you get good grades.

Hyde Park sucks but so does Philly.

I'd go to UChicago.


After your first year you can move wherever you want in the city. Commuting to Hyde Park would be kind of a bitch, but it's probably better than living there. Get a place in Wicker Park or Logan Square, date socially well adjusted hipsters to your heart's content, and go to the better school.


Yuck Hipsters.

Commuting from the northside to HP must be a bitch. Are there any good neighborhoods on the green line or metra electric. I know next to nothing about the south side.

The racist NW suburbian view of the south side is that everything south of Roosevelt is Gary, IN.


I dunno, can you pick up the Metra in SoLo? I'd think your best bet would be to live wherever and just pick up the Jeffrey or the 2 downtown. Or drive.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Veyron wrote:It would be the rare individual indeed who would get NYC biglaw out of one but not the other. Chicago obviously has an edge for clerkships, academia, and Chicago biglaw. Whether that is worth 3 years of misery, that's an individual decision.


About 10-15% of the class isn't exactly a rare breed. And selective firms go a lot lower at UChicago than at Penn.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 pm

ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:UChi is better for both, and significantly better for academia.

However, both require amazing grades, and therefore, they shouldn't be a huge part of your decision. But Uchi gives you a better shot at big law by about 10% and a better chance at good firms if you get good grades.

Hyde Park sucks but so does Philly.

I'd go to UChicago.


After your first year you can move wherever you want in the city. Commuting to Hyde Park would be kind of a bitch, but it's probably better than living there. Get a place in Wicker Park or Logan Square, date socially well adjusted hipsters to your heart's content, and go to the better school.


Yuck Hipsters.

Commuting from the northside to HP must be a bitch. Are there any good neighborhoods on the green line or metra electric. I know next to nothing about the south side.

The racist NW suburbian view of the south side is that everything south of Roosevelt is Gary, IN.


I dunno, can you pick up the Metra in SoLo? I'd think your best bet would be to live wherever and just pick up the Jeffrey or the 2 downtown. Or drive.


Driving during rush hour would be a bitch. The Dan Ryan, Kennedy and LSD are all fucked.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: UChi ($$) vs UPenn ($$)

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Driving during rush hour would be a bitch. The Dan Ryan, Kennedy and LSD are all fucked.


MLK baby! Expressways during rush hour are for suburbanites.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hintergedanke, studyingeveryday and 5 guests