Mississippi College vs. Ole Miss Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
southernliving

New

Mississippi College vs. Ole Miss

Post by southernliving » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

I am faced with a tough decision. Assuming you would stay and live within the south, in particular, Mississippi, which of the following institutions provides the best education, cost-benefit analysis, and job prospects?

jim

New

Re: Mississippi College vs. Ole Miss

Post by jim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Ole Miss is the best law school in the state. Go to Ole Miss.

jdl239

New

Post by jdl239 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:41 am

Yeah, I think Ole Miss is going to be the best bet. I am in at both. I have some $$ at MC but would still be paying the same to both because of the in-state tuition at Ole Miss. I am visting Ole Miss thursday on a personal visit then MC friday for an admitted student day. So I will have a better idea this weekend and can let you know. But I can pretty much tell you that Ole Miss is going to be the winner.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 am

Hotty Toddy

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 am

southernliving wrote:I am faced with a tough decision. Assuming you would stay and live within the south, in particular, Mississippi, which of the following institutions provides the best education, cost-benefit analysis, and job prospects?
If by south you mean Jackson, I would consider MC more closely (assuming that the scholarship has stipulations).

While Ole Miss is considered to be superior, the job prospects out of both are very similar. As a result, the ranking differences are somewhat negligible.

Be aware that there are advantages to being in school in Jackson that you just wouldn't have if you went to school in Oxford. The exact value of these advantages is hard to quantify.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legal_pr

New

Post by legal_pr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 am

I would consider MC Law more closely. In terms of networking, the opportunities at this school are amazing. It is located in downtown Jackson, within walking distance of the MS Supreme Court, the state Capitol, Hinds County Courthouse and a number of prestigious law firms. The Moot Court program is currently ranked #3 in the nation. In addition, the accessibility to faculty is amazing. I encourage you to visit the campus and sit in on a class. Dean Rosenblatt is also very approachable and friendly. His number one priority is to see the law students succeed.

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:04 am

legal_pr wrote:I would consider MC Law more closely. In terms of networking, the opportunities at this school are amazing. It is located in downtown Jackson, within walking distance of the MS Supreme Court, the state Capitol, Hinds County Courthouse and a number of prestigious law firms. The Moot Court program is currently ranked #3 in the nation. In addition, the accessibility to faculty is amazing. I encourage you to visit the campus and sit in on a class. Dean Rosenblatt is also very approachable and friendly. His number one priority is to see the law students succeed.

While I applied to both... I do know that MC is in a less than reputable area of downtown. The parking is gated and just outside the lot squatters like to sit outside and harass the students who come in. As a woman, I'm not sure this is what I want to see every day going to school. As far as the quality of the school... I just don't know. For price... Ole Miss wins..it costs a third of what MC does and it is well known in the state and neighboring states. At last glance, MC had a higher bar passage rate... so there's all the info I have lol. I will go where accepted, but over the two, I'd prefer ole miss.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:04 am

Ole Miss has space law.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 am

NZA wrote:Ole Miss has space law.
this should pretty much end all debate here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawboy81

New

Post by lawboy81 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:33 pm

MC is in a better location in terms of more opportunities to intern over the school year and network (Ole Miss is in a better location in the sense that Oxford is alot nicer than JXN). But Ole Miss still dominates. I don't know that job prospects are particularly great out of either (as I know people who went to both and are currently working in non-legal jobs), but I'd guess Ole Miss has the edge. And, as you've mentioned, it's cheaper. I'd go Ole Miss.

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:53 pm

got an acceptance today from MC... only school I have heard from ;o(

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:43 pm

legal_pr wrote:I would consider MC Law more closely. In terms of networking, the opportunities at this school are amazing. It is located in downtown Jackson, within walking distance of the MS Supreme Court, the state Capitol, Hinds County Courthouse and a number of prestigious law firms. The Moot Court program is currently ranked #3 in the nation. In addition, the accessibility to faculty is amazing. I encourage you to visit the campus and sit in on a class. Dean Rosenblatt is also very approachable and friendly. His number one priority is to see the law students succeed.
Anybody else notice that this poster only has 1 total post?

Commonwealthman

New

Post by Commonwealthman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Dean Rosenblatt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awsiler

New

Post by awsiler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:12 am

Commonwealthman wrote:
Hi Dean Rosenblatt.[/quote]

This. I spit out my orange juice at my desk. :lol:

badnews757

New

Post by badnews757 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 am

http://www.mslitigationreview.com/

"The numbers suggest the job market for law grads is worse than previously thought. Nationwide, only 55% of the class of 2011 had full-time, long-term jobs that required a law degree nine months after graduation. The ABA defines "long-term" jobs as those that don't have a term of less than one year.

The digital version of the article also has a chart with statistics for ABA accredited schools. Here are the stats for Mississippi law schools:

Univ. of Miss. School of Law: 151 graduates; 55% in jobs requiring law degrees

M.C. Law School: 166 graduates; 75% in jobs requiring law degrees
"

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... _rankings/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”