Multiple Tuition Negotiations?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
onmytoes812

Multiple Tuition Negotiations?

Postby onmytoes812 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am

At this moment (until I hear from Vanderbilt & Texas), I am deciding between Alabama and Georgia. My original offer for Alabama was $14K/year (I'm in-state), which is almost tuition. My initial offer at UGA was "Tuition Equalizing Scholarship," which basically puts me at in-state tuition, but it's only for 1 year until I become a resident. So essentially, it's not a scholarship after 1L.

I requested a review at UGA from the scholarship committee, and they just got back to me that they're increasing the offer to TE plus $5k/year. So I'll pay in-state minus $5,000. That's good, but still 9,000 less than Alabama (both schools have about the same tuition rate).

THEN I got an e-mail that Alabama upped my scholarship to $18,000/year, which is MORE than tuition currently. Free law school. That's pretty legit, I'm not gonna lie.

So my question is, can I take that offer back to UGA and ask for a second review without looking like a spoiled child? It's just there's a big difference between $18K and $5K for very similar schools and I don't want to miss an opportunity to possibly get more from UGA when the schools have very similar LSAT/GPA medians, and I'm actually BETTER positioned at UGA.

Other things to consider: I'm going to the ASD at Georgia this weekend, so maybe I could broach it in person with the admissions people?

Thanks in advance!

Moxie

Re: Multiple Tuition Negotiations?

Postby Moxie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

onmytoes812 wrote:At this moment (until I hear from Vanderbilt & Texas), I am deciding between Alabama and Georgia. My original offer for Alabama was $14K/year (I'm in-state), which is almost tuition. My initial offer at UGA was "Tuition Equalizing Scholarship," which basically puts me at in-state tuition, but it's only for 1 year until I become a resident. So essentially, it's not a scholarship after 1L.

I requested a review at UGA from the scholarship committee, and they just got back to me that they're increasing the offer to TE plus $5k/year. So I'll pay in-state minus $5,000. That's good, but still 9,000 less than Alabama (both schools have about the same tuition rate).

THEN I got an e-mail that Alabama upped my scholarship to $18,000/year, which is MORE than tuition currently. Free law school. That's pretty legit, I'm not gonna lie.

So my question is, can I take that offer back to UGA and ask for a second review without looking like a spoiled child? It's just there's a big difference between $18K and $5K for very similar schools and I don't want to miss an opportunity to possibly get more from UGA when the schools have very similar LSAT/GPA medians, and I'm actually BETTER positioned at UGA.

Other things to consider: I'm going to the ASD at Georgia this weekend, so maybe I could broach it in person with the admissions people?

Thanks in advance!

You won't get anything unless you ask. Of course you should negotiate it. However, I think it is best done via email, not in person. Maybe someone else will disagree?

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am

onmytoes812 wrote:At this moment (until I hear from Vanderbilt & Texas), I am deciding between Alabama and Georgia. My original offer for Alabama was $14K/year (I'm in-state), which is almost tuition. My initial offer at UGA was "Tuition Equalizing Scholarship," which basically puts me at in-state tuition, but it's only for 1 year until I become a resident. So essentially, it's not a scholarship after 1L.

Thanks in advance!

Take the new offer to UGA, that's just how negotiations work. I'd be polite about it and just say something along the lines of "I greatly appreciate your second review of my scholarship package. However, I feel it is important for you to be aware of all offers I am currently considering as I near a decision of where to attend; Alabama has recently increased my total scholarship offer to $18,000 per year. I feel UGA has a lot to offer, however during this time of uncertainty financial considerations do play a major role in my ultimate decision, and with your peer status to Alabama it would be difficult to justify attending one school over the other at a substantially higher cost. I'm hoping you will take this new information into account and consider one final review of my total scholarship package. Thank you for your time"

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:02 am

Great wording for the e-mail. Thanks!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”