For NY ADA, STJ (full), Cardozo (half), W&L (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NY Jobs Cardozo (16k), St. John's (full), Washington and Lee (sticker)

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:50 am

Cardozo (16k/yr)
38%
St. John's (full with top 40% stip)
62%
W&L Sticker
No votes

Total votes: 29

binghamtonalum

For NY ADA, STJ (full), Cardozo (half), W&L (sticker)

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 am

Already re-took the LSAT and not willing to wait another cycle, shooting for an ADA Prosecuter position within the 5 boroughs. Don't have UG loans, scared of debt, and hesitant to move out of NY.

I'm already leaning a certain direction, but your comments and opinions will certainly help.

Justathought

Re: NY Job Placement Poll

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:54 am

St. John's should work here. I voted for Cardozo by mistake; its early and I didn't properly take note of the ADA desire. Cardozo has much better job prospects all around, but if you're shooting for an ADA position I think St. John's alumni base and history will serve you well.

No reason to pick W&L here.

binghamtonalum

Re: For NY ADA, STJ (full), Cardozo (half), W&L (sticker)

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks for the response. What I am concerned about is that despite St. John's history and long list of people serving as ADA's, does Cardozo's upward reputation combined with its LRAP program, make it easier to get a Job in the DA's office than St. John's would, say 4 years from now?

I have gathered that the difference would be negligible to minute, unless anyone else has research or firsthand knowledge to back up a different idea?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 am

Use Dozo scholly to leverage getting rid of stips on St.Johns then go there.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

I've never heard of anyone being successful at negotiating stipulations at St. John's, you know of a successful negotiation specifically or just offering general advice? I hope it's the former

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:20 pm

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:21 am

Make sure SJU drops the stips before you go. They section stack like a motherfucker. My boys older sister lost her scholly there b/c of that bullshit.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:31 am

What a strange array of options to be left with.. good luck deciding.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 pm

I would love to bargain the stips away, but I have no bargaining chips at the moment.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 am

Just received a response back after attempting to leverage Dozo scholarship, St. John's was firm in their response stating that they do not negotiate stips. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 am

To me, the stips aren't the end of the world really. The same way you can't assume you'll be at the top of your class, you can't assume you'll be at the bottom, either. Let's say you're a median student at SJU. If you're in the top 55%, you keep 75% of your scholarship. That means the school would cost you about 11-12K a year for the next two years. So, for all 3 years, your law school tuition is about 24K, coming out to an annual average of about 8K. Not too bad. Let's say you can at least stay in the top 65% -- then you keep 50% of your scholarship. Your 3-year tuition expense would be about 44K, coming in at a little under 15K-a-year. Alright, that's a little hard to swallow -- but putting it into perspective, 15K-a-year is about what CUNY and other "cheap" public schools cost.

Obviously your run the risk of placing below the top 65% and losing all your aid -- but, hate to say it, at that point there's always the option of cutting your losses and withdrawing.

I'd be more concerned about the section-stacking than the actual stips. I have no idea if section-stacking is actually done, but if it is, you really have to look at the situation differently.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Like you said, more so than making the top 40%, what I am concerned about is indeed section-stacking at St. John's. From other TLS'ers it seems that St. John's does stack and "will do anything to make sure a ton of people won't keep their scholarships". Section-stacking still wouldn't matter too much since you're being compared with ALL 1L's but for section curves, you'd be at a disadvantage to say the least

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Eff stipulations. Go to Cordozo.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:Like you said, more so than making the top 40%, what I am concerned about is indeed section-stacking at St. John's. From other TLS'ers it seems that St. John's does stack and "will do anything to make sure a ton of people won't keep their scholarships". Section-stacking still wouldn't matter too much since you're being compared with ALL 1L's but for section curves, you'd be at a disadvantage to say the least

If you really want to make 'em sweat at the ASD, ask them about section-stacking. It'd be interesting to see if/how they'd tapdance around the question.

Chicago2L

Postby Chicago2L » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

If SJU's behavior now (refusing to negotiate, alleged section stacking) is any indication of what they would be like once you're a student, consider whether you want to put yourself in that environment. I had a friend turn down a full ride there last year for the exact same reason. Of course, it might not be that bad, but where there's smoke, there's usually fire. Dozo it is bro.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:47 pm

OP: Your profile shows that you were accepted to Cornell law school. Is that correct ? If so, is Cornell still being considered ?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:56 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Your profile shows that you were accepted to Cornell law school. Is that correct ? If so, is Cornell still being considered ?

Wow, missed that one. Please go to Cornell, if this is in fact true. Please, do it for me! :oops:

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:06 pm

LOL, careless error. was dinged way back in the cycle.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm

AP-375 wrote:Eff stipulations. Go to Cordozo.

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm

after the ASD yesterday, I've made up my mind and will be attending St. John's in the Fall. Thanks for everyone's input!

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:after the ASD yesterday, I've made up my mind and will be attending St. John's in the Fall. Thanks for everyone's input!

Would you mind telling us your reasons for picking STJ?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:42 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Use Dozo scholly to leverage getting rid of stips on St.Johns then go there.

completely and total TCR. The only reason I'd advise against st johns is thats a rough stip.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:43 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:after the ASD yesterday, I've made up my mind and will be attending St. John's in the Fall. Thanks for everyone's input!

Plz do not commit them unless you get rid of the stip. Plz plz plz you don't need it hanging over your head and stressing you out.

pam920

Postby pam920 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 pm

fakemoney wrote:
binghamtonalum wrote:Like you said, more so than making the top 40%, what I am concerned about is indeed section-stacking at St. John's. From other TLS'ers it seems that St. John's does stack and "will do anything to make sure a ton of people won't keep their scholarships". Section-stacking still wouldn't matter too much since you're being compared with ALL 1L's but for section curves, you'd be at a disadvantage to say the least

If you really want to make 'em sweat at the ASD, ask them about section-stacking. It'd be interesting to see if/how they'd tapdance around the question.

When I visited and someone else on the tour asked a question about sections, Leslie Flanagan, the assistant director there, acted sort of strangely about it. She was like, "You're assigned to your section and you take all your classes with them and there is no switching!

I thought it was weird, but didn't really think anymore about it until I came on here and read about the section stacking. No, thanks. But good luck, binghamtonalum!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”