MVP versus transfer from UT?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
niederbomb

MVP versus transfer from UT?

Postby niederbomb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03 am

Basically, I get a tuition waiver to UT Austin + a $30K scholarship (not sure if I can use it for living expenses or not) under the Hazlewood Act.

I'm facing a paltry scholarship at one of MVP vs. TX with <$30,000 in debt, and possibly much less.

I was wondering how high I would have to place in the class at UT to transfer to HYSC or if this is even a possible option.

Top 20%? 15%? 10%? 5%?

Does being above 75th percentile for both GPA and LSAT give one a reasonable chance at being top 20%?

Thanks!

Saul Goodman

Re: MVP versus transfer from UT?

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937

Also, LSAT + GPA can not really tell you where you will place in your class... If only...

/thread

charliebrownwn

Postby charliebrownwn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:11 am

Arrow wrote:Should I go to a law school with the intent on transferring to another one?

You do not need me to tell you no. The vox populi is unanimous in this department. You should not do this. Statistically, it is hard to bank on being in the top 10% especially with all the uncertainty of law school.

Now, even though you should not do this, I feel like a lot of people do. A good number of T3/T4 students know that their school is not the greatest and want to transfer even going in. In addition, students at T2/T3/T4s often have a secret yearning to go to the better local school. For example, at my school (Loyola Law School, Los Angeles), everyone here wants to go to USC/UCLA or wishes they could. I bet most of them have this secret yearning and would go there in a heartbeat if they can. From what I have heard, this is true everywhere and especially so when there is a much better law school locally (even some Berkeley students think about transferring to Stanford or something).

Basically the rule is, do not go to law school wanting to transfer. However, if you do it, make sure you are comfortable graduating from your current school.

I think there is nothing wrong with going one place while trying to transfer. You can use it to motivate you and even prepare ahead of time (by making good relationships with professors, not taking on extra long commitments/leases, by doing financial aid early, etc).

No. Do not enroll with the intention of transferring.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 am

There is no real need to transfer it you think you would be interested in staying in the Southwest or going to NYC or DC because grades from Texas will take you there. Either way, Texas is the correct answer as long as you want a primary market or somewhere near Texas.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am

charliebrownwn wrote:
Arrow wrote:Should I go to a law school with the intent on transferring to another one?

You do not need me to tell you no. The vox populi is unanimous in this department. You should not do this. Statistically, it is hard to bank on being in the top 10% especially with all the uncertainty of law school.

Now, even though you should not do this, I feel like a lot of people do. A good number of T3/T4 students know that their school is not the greatest and want to transfer even going in. In addition, students at T2/T3/T4s often have a secret yearning to go to the better local school. For example, at my school (Loyola Law School, Los Angeles), everyone here wants to go to USC/UCLA or wishes they could. I bet most of them have this secret yearning and would go there in a heartbeat if they can. From what I have heard, this is true everywhere and especially so when there is a much better law school locally (even some Berkeley students think about transferring to Stanford or something).

Basically the rule is, do not go to law school wanting to transfer. However, if you do it, make sure you are comfortable graduating from your current school.

I think there is nothing wrong with going one place while trying to transfer. You can use it to motivate you and even prepare ahead of time (by making good relationships with professors, not taking on extra long commitments/leases, by doing financial aid early, etc).

No. Do not enroll with the intention of transferring.

I guess I'm flipping a coin for Big Law and taking Penn then; my award is pretty good for my numbers. I would really like to have options besides working in Texas for the rest of my life, and to my knowledge, leaving Texas isn't much of an option for resident graduates of UT because employers always assume (LOL) that they aren't serious about leaving Texas. Any truth to this?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”