Boston U, Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
issy

Boston U, Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham?

Postby issy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Trying to decide which school to go to:

Boston U ($15,000 merit scholarship a year)
Brooklyn ($29,000 merit a year)
Cardozo (full scholarship, guaranteed)
Fordham ($5,000 merit a year)

I've worked in the nonprofit sector in New York City for four years... and I am decided on doing public interest law in the city after law school. Right now, I am most interested in immigration law. I am leaning toward the three schools in nyc, although Boston U is attractive. I visited Fordham on the ASD and really liked the atmosphere/students. I am planning on visiting Cardozo this month... and should I consider Brooklyn?

any advice on where I should go? considering my strong interest in public interest (clinical programs, professors/connections, public interest placement/preparation, etc.)... I am also planning on doing LRAP if I don't go to Cardozo.

THANKS!

Saul Goodman

Re: Boston U, Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham?

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:59 pm

TLS on BU's LRAP: "With its limited funding and relative lack of available information, Boston University’s LRAP should not be a strong factor for those considering the law school. Income Based Repayment seems to be a more likely path for graduates looking to make ends meet in a low-paying job, and potential students should not count on having as much flexibility as graduates of higher-ranked schools with more robust loan repayment programs. Still, it is nice to know that the school is making an effort to help some of its public interest graduates."

So, that leaves Dozo and Fordham, Brooklyn shouldn't even be under consideration. Since you don't intend on shooting for Biglaw, and need to minimize debt, free law school ITCR /thread.

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 am

I'd go Cardozo. It also seems to have a decent set of immigration law clinics and centers, though I suppose the 5 million dollar LRAP donation won't affect you

While LRAP is ok, not terrible, at Fordham, as a NYCer I've always seen it as a very private sector directed school

Also, while employment stats should obviously be taken with a grain of salt (and Fordham's stinginess might be affecting this) it seems a greater % of Cardozo grads take PI positions, and they seem to be making SIGNIFICANTLY more in it

http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/MemberContent ... ntid=10310

http://law.fordham.edu/career-planning/17281.htm

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 am

Also, I'll be at Cardozo for the ASD

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:09 am

I would absolutely go with Cardozo. There's nothing like graduating with no debt.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 am

Cardozo

funhouse3

Postby funhouse3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 am

i'm in a nearly identical situation here, most likely going with cardozo

Return to “Choosing a Law School”