Midwest Schools.....Help me choose

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which onw would you choose?

Michigan State 50% scholly (3.0 stipulation)
7%
Wayne State 75% scholly (3.25 stiplation)
5%
Ohio State 11k a year scholly (2.5 stipulation)
87%

Total votes: 55

313D313

Midwest Schools.....Help me choose

Postby 313D313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Looking for advise from my fellow TLSers.

These three schools are the ones i am most considering. I have acceptances to American (no scholly) and depaul (20k/year) and i am still waiting to hear from BU, BC, notre Dame, Georgetown and Michigan. I doubt i will be accepted at any of them and the seat deposits for Wayne and MSU are due April 1st and that is making it harder because i am not sure what i want to do.

I currently work at a very successful personal injury law firm with six attorneys and more to be hired. I am not sure what kind of law i want to practice but i know that i defintely that i am good at and enjoy the interaction with the clients. The majority of the clientele speak arabic only and the attorneys speak english only so i am always interperting for the attorneys and managing the relationship between the firm and the clients. Because of my language skills and my overrall skill set i think ultimately my plan is to practice privately marketing my services toward the arab american community. I would work for a while and build some experience then try and open up shop. However, i am not 100% sure of this. I am excited about law school because i am looking forward to exploring the different types of career paths. I would also like to minimize debt.

What do you guys think?

ARTfulDodger

Re: Midwest Schools.....Help me choose

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 pm

What area do you want to practice in?

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 pm

I honestly have no idea. I thought of immigration but after speaking to the attorneys at work and some of my attorney friends they said its hard to make a decision before law school. They said you have to actually do the work to see if you like it or not, so i am not sure.

ARTfulDodger

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Hmm...okay. I voted for Michigan State just because they are offering you the second highest amount of money. However, I really think you should consider where you want to work because these schools are generally regional.
Last edited by ARTfulDodger on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 pm

This, to me, is relatively simple. Wayne if you want Detroit, Michigan State if you prefer Michigan but want to maintain some minimal mobility and Ohio State if you want regional mobility within the Midwest. Ohio State's definitely going to give you the best overall options, but Wayne will be the best in Detroit and Michigan State will be somewhere in between.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Have you considered returning to your firm as an attorney? Is there a law school close enough to your firm that you can mantain your ties and work at the firm during 2L and 3L?

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

buckilaw wrote:Have you considered returning to your firm as an attorney? Is there a law school close enough to your firm that you can mantain your ties and work at the firm during 2L and 3L?

If i attend Wayne i can do that. The firm is about 20 mins fro the law school. I thought about this but i am not sure i like personal injury and i feel like if i do this i lose the opportunity to explore what else is out there.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Those that are voting can you give some brief thoughts as to the way you voted. THANKS

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:00 am

Have you looked into the 1L GPA curves for these schools? a 3.2 could be anywhere from submedian to top 15%.

But that aside, I would pick MSU or Wayne State. It sounds like your niche is going to be working with Arabic-speaking clients, and Michigan has some pretty significant Arab population clusters.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:08 am

The Gentleman wrote:Have you looked into the 1L GPA curves for these schools? a 3.2 could be anywhere from submedian to top 15%.

But that aside, I would pick MSU or Wayne State. It sounds like your niche is going to be working with Arabic-speaking clients, and Michigan has some pretty significant Arab population clusters.

If that's really the game plan, I strongly, strongly endorse Wayne over MSU. Wayne has oodles more cache in Detroit, and in particular with the Arab community. The population of Wayne is much more Arabic than MSU or U Mich. (I'm guessing you know this OP) Plus the proximity will get you some benefit.

Edit: If you know you're interested in Immigration law already, then I don't think its hard to make a decision before going to law school. Most people have some idea what kind of work they'd like to. The biggest impediment for most law students is that they don't know the nitty gritty of practicing the type of law they want... I'm guessing you're not going to be in that boat. What I'd suggest to you OP, is to maybe leverage your existing contacts at your law firm and with the community it services into building yourself your own immigration law practice. Just because the firm at present is a personal injury firm doesn't mean you can't build up an immigration practice there as well. Solo practice is always SHOCKINGLY difficult, but you've got one of the strongest start up positions of anyone I've seen.

In some ways its limiting to go this route, but in some ways its not. Being debt free can be very liberating as well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am

Normally I would say OSU, but MSU/Wayne might actually make sense in your situation. I think you should really strongly consider going back to work for your current firm. Definitely keep that contact throughout law school, because there is a good chance you'll need it if you go to Wayne or MSU (because Michigan isn't exactly a booming legal market).

How hard will it be to maintain those scholarships? I'd be very, very wary of taking a scholarship with a stipulation.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Great advice everyone thanks.

One of the main issues that is bothering me is that i THINK private practice is what i want to do. If i want to do that in Michigan and market my services towards the arab american community, Wayne would be great. However, since i am not exactly sure am i better off going to OSU to keep my options open?

If i do attend OSU will it be really difficult to transition back to Michigan?

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm

anybody else?

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Sitting on the Michigan waitlist...

Michigan would be the perfect scenario.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 am

313D313 wrote:Sitting on the Michigan waitlist...

don't even think about it. As of now, it's not an option.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu May 05, 2011 10:28 am

Need to know info about the curve. What percentage of the class gets a 3.2? 3.0? If the curves are set at 2.5, then are three are scary propositions and you should choose knowing that you may loose the scholly. If the curves are set at 3.3, then take 3 year scholarship total under more serious consideration. You may end up paying more for wayne state in the end than you would have for osu.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

woah, are you a URM? if so I would retake. Michigan is a HUGE difference compared to wayne. The same difference between Detroit and NYC.
I summered at a biglaw firm in woetown last year and a couple of the associates told me that they treat michshitgan grads totally different. It s basically their job to lose at the end of the summer.

Most non urm people that sit on Michshitgan's WL gets into schools like WWUSTL/emory/ND on full scholarship

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm

OSU is highly respected and opens more doors than your other choices, but I would vote for Wayne. If you were to lose your scholarship, you'd still be paying in-state tuition. But more importantly, you can continue working PT at your firm and likely have a job at graduation. Even if it's not the type of law you want to practice long-term, it is an attorney job, and those are hard to come by these days. You can always work for your firm a few years and gain experience, and then start your own practice. As far as MSU, I believe (but may be wrong) that their law school is still private, so you could end up paying more if you were to lose your scholarship. However, if you really don't like Wayne State, then I would say OSU over MSU. Again, OSU does open a lot more doors, and even if you were stuck in Ohio, there is a large Arab-American population in Northeast Ohio and your language skills could prove useful to Ohio firms.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu May 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Just realized this thread is from March. I guess OP has made his decision by now. OP, if you're still checking this thread, where did you decide to attend?

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Case2L wrote:Just realized this thread is from March. I guess OP has made his decision by now. OP, if you're still checking this thread, where did you decide to attend?

Still have not decided. Appreciate the advice everyone. Keep it coming.

Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Thu May 05, 2011 5:22 pm

If you could retake and get into Michigan, that sounds like it'd be pretty sweet. The stips on that Wayne State scholarship look rough...what's the curve there? MSU might be a decent choice... I think that's top 50%. At least OSU's scholarship is basically guaranteed, and you'd get instate after the first year, bringing the costs way down.

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Duke Silver wrote:If you could retake and get into Michigan, that sounds like it'd be pretty sweet. The stips on that Wayne State scholarship look rough...what's the curve there? MSU might be a decent choice... I think that's top 50%. At least OSU's scholarship is basically guaranteed, and you'd get instate after the first year, bringing the costs way down.

3.25 is Top third... see http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... =cse&scp=2

"The Wayne State University Law School in Detroit tells merit scholarship winners in congratulations letters that they will need a 3.25 G.P.A. to keep their grants, worth nearly $25,000 a year. That means students need to wind up in the top third of their class. But that information isn’t in the letter."

Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm

silenttimer wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:If you could retake and get into Michigan, that sounds like it'd be pretty sweet. The stips on that Wayne State scholarship look rough...what's the curve there? MSU might be a decent choice... I think that's top 50%. At least OSU's scholarship is basically guaranteed, and you'd get instate after the first year, bringing the costs way down.

3.25 is Top third... see http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... =cse&scp=2

"The Wayne State University Law School in Detroit tells merit scholarship winners in congratulations letters that they will need a 3.25 G.P.A. to keep their grants, worth nearly $25,000 a year. That means students need to wind up in the top third of their class. But that information isn’t in the letter."

Wow....that sounds like a really bad idea. Yikes. OP, if I were you I'd be pretty concerned with that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 5:47 pm

The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:27 pm

danquayle wrote:
313D313 wrote:Sitting on the Michigan waitlist...

don't even think about it. As of now, it's not an option.

Hard not to. It is my number 1 choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”