JD / MBA vs JD

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PAR12

JD / MBA vs JD

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 pm

I am sure this has been asked before but I am interested in getting a joint degree. I have already applied just for law school but would apply for the joint degree program my first year.

I definitely want to practice law and would like to know the benefits of getting the MBA and if its worth another year?

Also, what is the t-14 for business schools? As in how many schools are in the elite class?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Pronkbaggins

Re: JD / MBA vs JD

Postby Pronkbaggins » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, I'm in the same boat! Something came up for me while I was studying for the GMAT this year, so I'm applying my first year of law too.

I've heard from a lawyer or two personally that a JD/MBA could give you an advantage if you're doing business law and might help your employment rates. I have no really reliable advice, though, about this. What kind of law are you interested in?

I've been advised not to get my MBA straight out of business school (which is where I'm at right now) because it's generally repetitive and the schools like at least five years of real work experience. However, it makes more sense if you're getting it as a dual degree with a JD and intend to practice law.

I think it depends on the ranking system, but I'm not super familiar with what number cut-offs make up the elite for business grad schools. Not sure if any of this info helped since it's mostly personal reasons and ambiguity!

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Take a look at this post where Ken gives a very candid analysis of JD / MBAs:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... ?f=2&t=296

In short: the dual degree is not useful for most students, so you should evaluate carefully whether it fits your needs.

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 pm

I am not set on which type of law I would like to practice yet but am interested in Corporate law.

I have reviewed that thread but I figured that since it is 5 years old things may have changed. Have they not? Would a joint degree give me an edge over someone who as a similar background otherwise?

PAR12

Postby PAR12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Has anyone been in a situation where the MBA helped them or hurt them?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 pm

PAR12 wrote:Has anyone been in a situation where the MBA helped them or hurt them?

Current JD/MBA admit here. It seems to help out if the business school is well recognized. I have been told it is viewed as a drawback by some firms as they are likely to view you as a flight risk.

What is your background and reason for wanting the dual degree?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”