NYC T2 or no-go

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
champ33

NYC T2 or no-go

Postby champ33 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:53 pm

I've taken a year off, and despite my shitty options, I still want to/may go to law school. My most viable options right now are St. John's full scholarship and Rutgers-N with a good scholarship. I live near St. John's, and my debt after 3 years would be as follows:

STJ: 0-15K
RU-N: 20-30K

I intend to work very hard, and if my grades were there I might consider biglaw, but I see myself more likely trying for public interest or government work. If I don't attend this year, my options would include doing a humanities MA that I think I would really enjoy, although it might be useless career wise, or I could continue looking for a paralegal or other 'real' job and just live. I've taken the LSAT 3 times, and if I took another year off I could take it a 4th - though the thought is sickening.

In my mind Rutgers has a stronger reputation and hold on its market, and is worth the extra debt. However I'm from New York, and am a little uneasy about probably ending up in NJ, having to put down roots there when I already have them here in NY. To me when you talk about going to a T2, where biglaw is not happening, it is more about being attached to the community where you are attending. I'd just like some input on these T2 schools from a low debt perspective, as well as some from anyone who might have done an MA for pure enjoyment during this period in life (I'm 23) where it feels like you really need to get moving with 'solid' plans. Thanks TLS, I love you.

BeachandRun23

Re: NYC T2 or no-go

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:35 pm

champ33 wrote:I've taken a year off, and despite my shitty options, I still want to/may go to law school. My most viable options right now are St. John's full scholarship and Rutgers-N with a good scholarship. I live near St. John's, and my debt after 3 years would be as follows:

I intend to work very hard, and if my grades were there I might consider biglaw, but I see myself more likely trying for public interest or government work. If I don't attend this year, my options would include doing a humanities MA that I think I would really enjoy, although it might be useless career wise, or I could continue looking for a paralegal or other 'real' job and just live. I've taken the LSAT 3 times, and if I took another year off I could take it a 4th - though the thought is sickening.

In my mind Rutgers has a stronger reputation and hold on its market, and is worth the extra debt. However I'm from New York, and am a little uneasy about probably ending up in NJ, having to put down roots there when I already have them here in NY. To me when you talk about going to a T2, where biglaw is not happening, it is more about being attached to the community where you are attending. I'd just like some input on these T2 schools from a low debt perspective, as well as some from anyone who might have done an MA for pure enjoyment during this period in life (I'm 23) where it feels like you really need to get moving with 'solid' plans. Thanks TLS, I love you.

No ones going to say you have great options here, but since you will have very little debt I dont think is that bad a decision. As to which one, I couldnt tell you.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Since neither of those schools are worth a dime and you are intent on going to one of them, common sense dictates you go to St. Johns, for free. Bear in mind, though, that you still need to stomach the COL.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:42 pm

champ33 wrote:I've taken a year off, and despite my shitty options, I still want to/may go to law school. My most viable options right now are St. John's full scholarship and Rutgers-N with a good scholarship. I live near St. John's, and my debt after 3 years would be as follows:

If you're uneasy about ending up in NJ, go to St. John's.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Any stipulation? If so, don't go at all.

If not, STJ it is.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 pm

STJ is top 40% and RU-N is 3.0, I believe. I'll try to negotiate the stips away but have never heard of anyone doing so successfully. Like many have said if you fall out of the top 40% at these schools you are pretty screwed anyway. Right now I'm leaning toward doing the humanities MA (no debt from this) to see where it takes me, but attending open houses at both these schools this weekend to see how they leave me feeling - right now I probably favor STJ. Like I said, after 3 LSATs, I wish that I had much better options, and the only thing I have going for me is the lack of substantial debt. Thank you guys for the input so far, I really appreciate it.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 pm

If you're hell-bent on going to law school, give it a go at St. Johns. If you lose your scholarship, bail. Immediately.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”