UF and FSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

UF and FSU

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:24 pm

okay, I know there are probably thousands of UF vs. FSU threads out there, but now that the two schools are so close in ranking again, I'd like to add in some personal things that are making this decision difficult for me. I have until next Friday to send in the seat deposit for FSU.

1. I am a UF undergrad and obviously going to FSU is a conflict of interest. Not a deal breaker of course, but I'm thinking about all the garnet and gold I'm going to have to buy to replace the orange and blue. Won't be cheap haha.
2. I received a 24k scholly from FSU with no stipulations, while UF will be sticker price.
3. Too many people I know say that I should go to UF, despite both schools being very similar. I'm just worried that a future employer will look down on an FSU degree in that same knee-jerk way because UF has always been the "top dog"
4. FSU is 2.5 hours from my b/f of four years, and 6.5 from my family. Not a huge deal, but if I go to UF then I'm equidistant from both, although I anticipate seeing the b/f more frequently.
5. I have no idea what kind of law I really want to do, although I would like to work for the government.

Wactawshus

Re: UF and FSU

Postby Wactawshus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:okay, I know there are probably thousands of UF vs. FSU threads out there, but now that the two schools are so close in ranking again, I'd like to add in some personal things that are making this decision difficult for me. I have until next Friday to send in the seat deposit for FSU.

1. I am a UF undergrad and obviously going to FSU is a conflict of interest. Not a deal breaker of course, but I'm thinking about all the garnet and gold I'm going to have to buy to replace the orange and blue. Won't be cheap haha.
2. I received a 24k scholly from FSU with no stipulations, while UF will be sticker price.
3. Too many people I know say that I should go to UF, despite both schools being very similar. I'm just worried that a future employer will look down on an FSU degree in that same knee-jerk way because UF has always been the "top dog"
4. FSU is 2.5 hours from my b/f of four years, and 6.5 from my family. Not a huge deal, but if I go to UF then I'm equidistant from both, although I anticipate seeing the b/f more frequently.
5. I have no idea what kind of law I really want to do, although I would like to work for the government.

If you truly want #5, FSU is the answer to your question.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Wait and see how the NCAA tournament plays out.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 pm

SBL wrote:Wait and see how the NCAA tournament plays out.

+1000000

Edit: Also, I can take a pretty good guess why a lot of people you know would say UF lol

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:okay, I know there are probably thousands of UF vs. FSU threads out there, but now that the two schools are so close in ranking again, I'd like to add in some personal things that are making this decision difficult for me. I have until next Friday to send in the seat deposit for FSU.

FWIW I would go to UF because I hate Tally with the passion of exactly 1,000,000 burning suns. Also, idk if this has been brought up before, but did you try to negotiate with UF (I'm guessing yes)?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:44 pm

I spoke with Carol Huber and submitted my scholarship info from other schools (it doesn't help that UM took a fucking nosedive in the rankings though). She said they would let me know by the end of March if they decided to revise my aid package. I'm assuming I won't get anything though because UF is so stingy.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

FSU! UF people will like UF people when hiring, FSU people will like FSU people, if they arent from either to say that UF>FSU is a stretch. Plus you are in the capitol. Meeting people/networking is going to be huge, hard to do from Gville compared to FSU

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:52 pm

University of Miami. I hate all these TLSers with their stupid rankings obsessiveness. Money means nothing compared to intangibles like national recognition.

glennhowerton

Postby glennhowerton » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:53 pm

I was in roughly the same position as you a year ago. UF undergrad, got into both UF and FSU law. Also had a similar scholly from FSU while UF was sticker. I was kind of sick of Gainesville, however, and while Tally is not exactly the Paris of the South or anything, I'm not sure I could do another 3 years in the ville. The deciding factors for me were A) The scholarship. If I'm gonna go to a low T1/high T2, it's extremely important to me that I graduate with minimal debt. Actually ITE, I don't want to graduate with much debt no matter where I am. And B) I want to do some sort of public interest/possibly enviro law for which FSU is superior. I can honestly say that I am more than satisfied with FSU so far. Good luck with your decision, either way you're going to be at a solid school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”