U of M v. BC v. Vermont (Environmental Law)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school given the below info.?

Michigan
78%
BC
14%
Vermont
8%

Total votes: 59

mayday

U of M v. BC v. Vermont (Environmental Law)

Postby mayday » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I know the question of aid v. rankings raises its head again and again, but I'm going to throw another one out there.

What are your thoughts on a $45K scholarship to Michigan when weighed against $60K to BC and $105K to Vermont? I aim to go into environmental law, and have heard that I should go to Michigan because it's the highest ranking and could open the most doors, that I should go to BC because I think I want to practice in New England, and that I should go to Vermont because of the aid, because it's the top-ranked environmental program, and because there's a better chance of being the big fish in the small pond, so to speak (however, I have also been told that Vermont might be more limiting). These suggestions have all come from various lawyers. Of course, a large factor in this is the potential debt.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.
Last edited by mayday on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelaststraw05

Re: U of M v. BC v. Vermont (Environmental Law)

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:29 pm

mayday wrote:I know the question of aid v. rankings raises its head again and again, but I'm going to throw another one out there.

What are your thoughts on a $45K scholarship to Michigan when weighed against $60K to BC and $105K to Vermont? I aim to go into environmental law, and have heard that I should go to Michigan because it's the highest ranking and could open the most doors, that I should go to BC because I think I want to practice in New England, and that I should go to Vermont because of the aid, because it's the top-ranked environmental program, and because there's a better chance of being the big fish in the small pond, so to speak (however, I have also been told that Vermont might be more limiting). These suggestions have all come from various lawyers. Of course, a large factor in this is the potential debt.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.

Add a poll.

Michigan.

mayday

Postby mayday » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks. Poll added.

aliarrow

Postby aliarrow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:35 pm

mayday wrote:I know the question of aid v. rankings raises its head again and again, but I'm going to throw another one out there.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.

Michigan. You actually have a scholarship there, it places well anywhere (New England included), and it will be eminently more likely to get you a job in Environmental law than Vermont.
Also - rule out the big fish in a small pond. You just don't know yet how well you'll do in law school and LSAT is not a perfect estimator. If you happen to not be as great as you thought and end up at median, you'd be much better off at median at Michigan than median at Vermont.

mayday

Postby mayday » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:37 pm

aliarrow wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.

Michigan. You actually have a scholarship there, it places well anywhere (New England included), and it will be eminently more likely to get you a job in Environmental law than Vermont.
Also - rule out the big fish in a small pond. You just don't know yet how well you'll do in law school and LSAT is not a perfect estimator. If you happen to not be as great as you thought and end up at median, you'd be much better off at median at Michigan than median at Vermont.

Very good points. Thanks.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:40 pm

mayday wrote:I want to practice in New England

Don't consider Vermont, it's just too far down into the desperate world of TTT schools.

Michigan places surprisingly well in New England. BC probably just as good there but no better. As soon as you get even a little bit out of New England, like even down to NYC or DC, Michigan climbs well ahead of BC.

I voted Michigan, and I think that's the most logical thing really. The $ difference is so small between them for you. But you have to think about where you'll spend the next three years of your life, too. If you really like New England for your career plans, and you'd love to be in Boston for three years of law school... you really can't go wrong with BC either. Especially with the extra $ on the side that they are offering you.

Basically it's a win-win for your situation and preferences, unless you do something really dumb and go to Vermont.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Michigan. Period. This should not even be a question.

The sub-category/specialty rankings are useless IMHO. Sure Vermont has a good Environmental Law program, but you can rest assured that the vast majority of non-profits would choose a Michigan student over a Vermont student. Top students at BC may place better in Boston than students from Michigan, but guaranteeing that you'll be in the top at BC is virtually impossible. You end up much below 1/3 or median at BC and you won't have a ton, if any, opportunities in/around Boston.

You will have some amazing professors at Michigan and certainly some of them will be experts in Environmental law. Just make sure you seek out all things environment at Michigan and you should be in a good spot to get a good job, regardless of your actual grades. You cannot say this about Vermont or BC.

Michigan is a top school and I would take it at sticker over either of these two options. (and I went to BC law)

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah this isn't even worth a thread. Its Michigan and its by a lot.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 pm

Spend a weekend in South Royalton Vermont.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Michigan is the safest choice with respect to employment & degree mobility. Vermont is a small school in a tiny town. Boston College is a reasonable option since you want to practice in that region, but the difference in scholarship funding is not enough to pass up Michigan, in my opinion.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 pm

"Wow" at even considering Vermont over Michigan... That's crazy talk.

Michigan x1000

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Specialty rankings are utter garbage. The only way this is even a question is if you leverage a full ride to BC - even then I would still take the money at Mich.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 pm

2things2 wrote:Yeah this isn't even worth a thread. Its Michigan and its by a lot.

mayday

Postby mayday » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers.

The question is not which program has the best environment program, nor is it which program will teach you the most about environmental law nor is it which program is going to make you the best environment lawyer. The question is which program is most likely to land you a job in environmental law.

Michigan. By far..far...far....far.....far.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”