UVA v NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WHERE?! (please read first!)

UVA with $90K
13%
NYU with full ride
87%

Total votes: 77

ahduth

Re: UVA v NYU

Postby ahduth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:45 am

I love how angry this BruceWayne guy gets at NYU. :lol:

dc1s

Postby dc1s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:55 am

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 am

dc1s wrote:Image

:lol: I've been waiting for something like this

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:11 am

Very few things can make you think twice about accepting a full scholarship to NYU Law. 90k at UVA shouldn't be one of them. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:05 pm

2things2 wrote:Very few things can make you think twice about accepting a full scholarship to NYU Law. 90k at UVA shouldn't be one of them. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

I slipped and was about to vote that too, but if you read the OP's post they say that they might get the scholarship at NYU and that even if they do, they have to pay it back if they don't go into PI. That's quite different than a full ride to NYU with no strings (which is what I think most people assumed).

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:06 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
2things2 wrote:Very few things can make you think twice about accepting a full scholarship to NYU Law. 90k at UVA shouldn't be one of them. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

I slipped and was about to vote that too, but if you read the OP's post they say that they might get the scholarship at NYU and that even if they do, they have to pay it back if they don't go into PI. That's quite different than a full ride to NYU with no strings (which is what I think most people assumed).

For the record, one of the two scholarships I'm a finalist for has strings (3 year commitment to PI) the other has none. And the purpose of the poll was to assume that I get one- again, not because I think I will, but because if I don't I already know I'll go to UVA. I'm asking now because if I do get one, I have three days to decide. I want to be ready.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

arism87 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

For the record, one of the two scholarships I'm a finalist for has strings (3 year commitment to PI) the other has none. And the purpose of the poll was to assume that I get one- again, not because I think I will, but because if I don't I already know I'll go to UVA. I'm asking now because if I do get one, I have three days to decide. I want to be ready.

Quit frontin', you know you want UVA!

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Quit frontin', you know you want UVA!

Lol, personally, yes. But if it's a significantly worse career decision I'll suck it up. I'm sure I'd get used to it! lol

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Its a matter of debt aversion. If you hate debt, UVA with 90k is a no brainer vs. NYU sticker (your title is decieving poll voter if I am not mistaken). NYU has some edge for PI and NYC biglaw.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm

arism87 wrote:

Lol, personally, yes. But if it's a significantly worse career decision I'll suck it up. I'm sure I'd get used to it! lol

Highly doubt it. I think we get so caught up in the rankings sometimes that we forget how comparable #6 and #9 are in the whole scheme of things. They are both AMAZING schools, and I don't think there is a wrong answer here. If you like Charlottesville much better than NYC, than go to UVA. Going to the school that you can see yourself thriving in academically will ultimately be more to your advantage than going to NYU over UVA just because 0ls on an internet forum tell you to (myself included).

arism87

Postby arism87 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Its a matter of debt aversion. If you hate debt, UVA with 90k is a no brainer vs. NYU sticker (your title is decieving poll voter if I am not mistaken). NYU has some edge for PI and NYC biglaw.

arism87 wrote: And the purpose of the poll was to assume that I get one [scholarship]- again, not because I think I will, but because if I don't I already know I'll go to UVA. I'm asking now because if I do get one, I have three days to decide. I want to be ready.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

arism87 wrote:

Don't let the 0L's/US News obsessed fool you. NYU is better for NYC biglaw--that's it. You don't seem to be interested in NYC biglaw so you won't be missing out on anything by going to UVA. And frankly when you look at the recent objective employment data (nlj, Forbes recent rankings, law firm preference rankings by US News) you quickly realize that it's basically HYS and then the rest of the top 14 based on region. The other thing is that PI is a different beast than private law firms. They really really won't care if you go to NYU or UVA or Duke etc. etc. They will care about your commitment to public service and your grades.

dukey

Postby dukey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm

BruceWayne wrote:NYU is better for NYC biglaw--that's it. PI is a different beast than private law firms. They really really won't care if you go to NYU or UVA or Duke etc. etc. They will care about your commitment to public service and your grades.

This is true to a certain extent - batman here :wink: is right to say the PI probably won't distinguish too much among T14 when they take their picks; grades & commitment are their focal points.

But OP, you need to consider things like summer funding/exposure to PI. NYU's OCI really does give a noticeable advantage to its students, simply because orgs so actively recruit there (+'s are in-person networking, first pick, etc.). I'm not sure whether NYU's summer funding is > UVA's, but you can easily check this. btw UVA's is $3500 for 1st year summer and $6k for 2nd year summers.

Also, it should be noted that having an alumni base you can count on is crucial, so if NYU places more people into PI, you can usually try to leverage your ties. In my case, I originally spammed resumes to tons of places, but I realized quickly that I could just have a chat with alumni @ firms and have them submit my materials with a good word. Obviously much greater success with the latter.

If the opportunity crops up, I'd go with the NYU RTK over your UVA 90k.

BruceWayne wrote:And frankly when you look at the recent objective employment data (nlj, Forbes recent rankings, law firm preference rankings by US News) you quickly realize that it's basically HYS and then the rest of the top 14 based on region.

I agree with this, but don't let employment data be the primary criteria for distinguishing among T14.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 pm

dukey wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:NYU is better for NYC biglaw--that's it. PI is a different beast than private law firms. They really really won't care if you go to NYU or UVA or Duke etc. etc. They will care about your commitment to public service and your grades.

This is true to a certain extent - batman here :wink: is right to say the PI probably won't distinguish too much among T14 when they take their picks; grades & commitment are their focal points.

But OP, you need to consider things like summer funding/exposure to PI. NYU's OCI really does give a noticeable advantage to its students, simply because orgs so actively recruit there (+'s are in-person networking, first pick, etc.). I'm not sure whether NYU's summer funding is > UVA's, but you can easily check this. btw UVA's is $3500 for 1st year summer and $6k for 2nd year summers.

Also, it should be noted that having an alumni base you can count on is crucial, so if NYU places more people into PI, you can usually try to leverage your ties. In my case, I originally spammed resumes to tons of places, but I realized quickly that I could just have a chat with alumni @ firms and have them submit my materials with a good word. Obviously much greater success with the latter.

If the opportunity crops up, I'd go with the NYU RTK over your UVA 90k.

BruceWayne wrote:And frankly when you look at the recent objective employment data (nlj, Forbes recent rankings, law firm preference rankings by US News) you quickly realize that it's basically HYS and then the rest of the top 14 based on region.

I agree with this, but don't let employment data be the primary criteria for distinguishing among T14.

NYU's (and most every other top 14) summer funding is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than UVA's. UVA has this BS where summer funding is only given to those who are selected via an application to the student run Public Interest Law Association. And you have to do a certain number of pro bono community service hours before you qualify. Basically it's a selective process that isn't guaranteed. Frankly I think it's total garbage and the school should be ashamed considering most of the other top 14 have guaranteed funding. Many students are not selected for the stipend.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Highly doubt it. I think we get so caught up in the rankings sometimes that we forget how comparable #6 and #9 are in the whole scheme of things. They are both AMAZING schools, and I don't think there is a wrong answer here. If you like Charlottesville much better than NYC, than go to UVA. Going to the school that you can see yourself thriving in academically will ultimately be more to your advantage than going to NYU over UVA just because 0ls on an internet forum tell you to (myself included).

To me this is absolutely the most relevant and best advice ITT. If you want to go to UVA because you are confident you will be happier, go to UVA and don't look back. Your happiness for 3 years is absolutely worth the 30K or 40K or whatever difference in COA between the schools (less than the difference in tuition because NYC COL will be so much higher).

To me, it sounds like you would be way happier at UVA. So just look at the NYU scholarship (assuming you get it) as a potential bargaining chip with UVA. If you get it and you can squeeze a few more $$ out of UVA, awesome; if not, you still have UVA with 90K, and that's a tremendous deal.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 am

LOL IS THIS ACTUALLY A QUESTION

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 am

whymeohgodno wrote:LOL IS THIS ACTUALLY A QUESTION

I really think this is a pretty legitimate question/dilemma

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:33 am

birdlaw117 wrote:

T6 with full ride vs UVA with 90k. Yeah ok.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

COL makes a pretty significant difference between the two. Also, if OP does PI, LRAP reduces the differences as well. Throw in the fact that OP doesn't like the big city and the gap shrinks even more (or reverses).

There isn't a huge difference between NYU and UVA. Going to UVA is unlikely to shut any doors OP would have at NYU. A law school decision is should not be broken down to simply Rankings vs. COA. Other factors are at play.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

COL makes a pretty significant difference between the two. Also, if OP does PI, LRAP reduces the differences as well. Throw in the fact that OP doesn't like the big city and the gap shrinks even more (or reverses).

There isn't a huge difference between NYU and UVA. Going to UVA is unlikely to shut any doors OP would have at NYU. A law school decision is should not be broken down to simply Rankings vs. COA. Other factors are at play.

Oh my bad. Didn't know about PI.

Also imo NYU is much better than UVA if you want NYC. It's not even close especially with regards to the Top Top NYC firms...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Oh my bad. Didn't know about PI.

Also imo NYU is much better than UVA if you want NYC. It's not even close especially with regards to the Top Top NYC firms...

Totally agree. FWIW, I will probably be attending NYU next year (would not choose UVA, even though it isn't an option for me anyway). I feel like when comparing CCNMVPB a lot of it can come down to personal preferences. I love NYC so C and N were always going to be at the top of my list. It sounds like UVA is at the top of OP's list (based on this thread and posts in previous threads over the past few months) and there are a lot of good reasons for that.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

+1000

I really have to go with UVA here, Arism. From everything I've seen you post, it really doesn't seem like you'll like living in NYC. I love the city, but I still find it overwhelming sometimes. Even more so when I was in school. I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't like big cities. There are lots of places where you can dislike the environment but tolerate it, but NYC isn't one of them. For whatever reason, it makes infinitely more miserable than they should be. All of my NYU classmates who prefer small towns ended up transferring within a year.

NYU and UVA are both great schools and I just don't think it's worth it to make yourself miserable for a miniscule increase in prestige. Leverage the AnBryce for more money at UVA. Then go there and be happy and warm and tan, because you will be none of those things at NYU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”