Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flexityflex86

Re: Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:18 pm

St.Remy wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:You talked about being the alpha. What if one was never the alpha, but just did well on the LSAT, knows they're intelligent and can hustle the smoke out of hell but has no connections - what path would you recommend for them to get six figures in the Atlanta market? I don't think I'm entitled to jack and I try to be a god fearing person, but deep down I'll punch somebody flat in the nose to get it.

In this vain, as I am not HYS material due to my genetic inability to kiss ass, unless some holds pan out, I'm prob looking at the money to ELS or schools in that 16-20 range (scholarships TBD). Are these schools indeed a solid tier above ELS. I don't care about prestige. I don't need some woman trying to ride on me, because I have a fancy name on my diploma. I'm not an elitist, and I don't care about respect. I just want to be in a position where my skill allows me to dominate.

This either a very clever jab at OP's overall jackass demeanor which gives me hope for future Emory Law classes...

Or it is a serious post, in which case Emory should probably be burned to the ground with current and future students locked inside.

That's kind of violent, St. Remy. Why don't you just take your Prozac and relax? Burning students to the ground - kind of an unwarranted jump.

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Last edited by apl6783 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaspar

Postby kaspar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Please don't consider this person your average, representative Emory Law student. Maybe s/he's a nice guy/gal in person, but I have never met someone so condescending, self-righteous and flippant in my time at Emory Law. He's the exception rather than the rule, but unfortunately s/he's probably going to be TLS' perception of the average Emory student far into the future. Sigh.

Signed,
Emory 2L

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

This thread has potential.

Also, I don't see why everyone is piling on the OP. He may be ham-handed in his descriptions, but he's giving advice about Emory that prospective students would do well to heed. Basically, he's saying that there are more than a few students with feelings of entitlement who expect Emory to find them jobs. As someone who grew up very close to Emory and knows the smugness of the students there (undergrads, at least), this doesn't strike me as terribly surprising. He is further explaining that palatable legal jobs are available out of Emory, but that securing them may require proactive effort and looking past OCI for opportunities.

ELS2010

Postby ELS2010 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 pm

I didn't encounter much entitlement among my fellow students. And I found that getting back your first set of 1L grades would beat that out of pretty much everyone.

And yeah, there are plenty of jobs to be had if you get off your tail and look for them. Maybe they used to throw job offers around like confetti before the recession (though I doubt it), but there are still jobs to be had.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

ELS2010 wrote:I didn't encounter much entitlement among my fellow students. And I found that getting back your first set of 1L grades would beat that out of pretty much everyone.

And yeah, there are plenty of jobs to be had if you get off your tail and look for them. Maybe they used to throw job offers around like confetti before the recession (though I doubt it), but there are still jobs to be had.

Have you gotten one? I do not mean to rip on you, but saying there are jobs to be had is not very reassuring about Emory. There are jobs to be had coming out of St. John's and Georgia State as well, but I would not feel comfortable entering that sort of situation.

ELS2010

Postby ELS2010 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Yes. It was pretty brutal at graduation (I'm not sure I could have picked a shittier year to graduate, except perhaps 2009), but as far as I know pretty much everyone has found something by now.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:56 pm

ELS2010 wrote:Yes. It was pretty brutal at graduation (I'm not sure I could have picked a shittier year to graduate, except perhaps 2009), but as far as I know pretty much everyone has found something by now.

Looking back on it, would you have taken a school like WUSTL if COA was the same.....career wise?

EmoryThreeL

Postby EmoryThreeL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 pm

jxnjxn wrote:Good lord you are an ass.

Anyone want to take odds on this being an Emory Law student? Discuss your employment prospects and what you did to get to where you are instead of name calling.

enron123 wrote:Do have to say what people care about is what your job search in 2L and 3L have been like particularly given the drop in the rankings.

Huh? I already said I'm employed and used my own resources to get the job. That's the end of it. I'm not going to give out advice on how I got the job. That isn't really Emory specific. There are lots of threads on TLS about it.

enron123 wrote:Emory is in Atlanta which everyone can agree is a cool city and its a T30 which means nothing there sucks...leaving job search as the relevant point in the Choosing a Law School Area...

That's your opinion. I bet there are others who don't feel the same. I know I sure didn't as a 0L.

spets wrote:How bad's the traffic around Emory during rush hour? I know it gets worse as you approach downtown ATL, but I'm curious if I should be avoiding the interstate at all costs in the late afternoon.

Around Emory? It will honestly take you probably 15 minutes to travel 3 miles to the law school. There are like three different ways of approaching and each way will suck. As a 1L, I just stayed in school from morning until night and avoided traffic.

Nicholasnickynic wrote:P.s. idiot, if emory had 100 students, and they were the 100 smartest, hard working people in the world, 50 of them would still be below median. Also saying stuff about people don't deserve it etc...

Sure, Perhaps 10% of your class didn't try, but I can gaurantee that the rest did. There is a lot of luck involved.

P.S., if they are paying 100k, then they do deserve a fucking job. Especially when Emory acts like it will get them one.

LOLOLOL

Not sure if serious so I will ignore. Pretty damn good troll, IMO. The post script, in particular, is hilarious. Respect.

kaspar wrote:Please don't consider this person your average, representative Emory Law student. Maybe s/he's a nice guy/gal in person, but I have never met someone so condescending, self-righteous and flippant in my time at Emory Law. He's the exception rather than the rule, but unfortunately s/he's probably going to be TLS' perception of the average Emory student far into the future. Sigh.

Signed,
Emory 2L

Why don't you tell us how your job search is going? What do you have lined up for the summer?

And you're right, I'm not representative of the average Emory Law student. I am employed. If I were TLS's perception of the average Emory student, everyone would be lining up to take the huge scholarships for a guaranteed legal job at graduation 8)

ELS2010 wrote:I didn't encounter much entitlement among my fellow students. And I found that getting back your first set of 1L grades would beat that out of pretty much everyone.

Absolutely. You will find ELS2011 complaining more about Career Services instead of using their time to find a job. There are jobs to be had and being an Emory student puts you at the pole position for southeast jobs.

EmoryThreeL

Postby EmoryThreeL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:21 pm

apl6783 wrote:Why don't you people let this guy talk. If you think he's pretentious, don't read his responses. Get off this website and do something else.

He doesn't sound pretentious to me. Attacking everything he says as if he's trying to convince people to go to Emory is dumb. He's fairly objective and speaks reasonably.

If you've posted thousands of times on this forum, I don't want to hear your bullshit. You have nothing to contribute. Allow this thread to be informative for people who are considering Emory. Don't turn it into another one of your dipshit TLS pro arguments. Your bullshit makes it hard for people who want to use this website as a resource to get information.

tyft

I want to use this post to clarify. I come off a little dbag. I'm not worried about that. I did it on purpose because I knew my demeanor would cause a stir in the law school. I bet there are 3Ls at Emory checking this thread out right now when they would otherwise not give TLS a look. Check out the page views on this thread. Mission accomplished. They should chime in with candor.

The biggest thing to me as a 0L was transparency. I didn't care to be wined and dined. I knew law schools just used bs to recruit and talk about how great they are. Bottom line, they don't really care about anything other than increasing their prestige and collecting your tuition dollars. Sure, faculty, as individuals, care. But lets be real. This is a business transaction. If I dropped six figures and ended up jobless, I'd be pissed. And why's that? Because I may have been fooled into thinking Emory itself would carry me home.

Nonsense. I'm here to say that in this tier of law schools (WUSTL, GW, BC, BU), you need to work at it. Think very, very hard before spending serious money. And know that your work doesn't end in class. The interview for a job never stops.

When Above The Law got the Partlett email, some students were furious. "Who would do this to our law school?!" "This just makes us look even worse." Who cares? When people are spending 100k+, give them all the information possible. People were pissed at it being released because it made Emory look bad and they think it'll hurt their future job search. No, your bellyaching will hurt it more. When I heard about Emory's employment numbers, I said "THANK YOU!" So many people are suckered into Emory being a golden ticket. Complete nonsense.

I'm not saying Emory is John Marshall. There's a difference. The Emory degree gives you a brand of saying, yes, she's competent. But no one is going to be automatically impressed and be begging to give you an offer. Emory will give you the tools, I assure you.

I mean, there are 3Ls right now independently collecting employment data of our class. That's awesome information but why not do this sooner? Reminds me of when someone gets a bad grade on an exam. They look and see if anyone else did bad so they can collectively blame the class, prof, test, whatever other than him/herself for not studying as well as he/she should have. Maybe if they spent their time more constructively, they'd be employed. These people are calling for Career Services' heads. But for what? CSOs at nearly every single law school are the same.

I suspect there are faculty at Emory reading this, cringing at my demeanor, but applauding my shots at my classmates. If you disagree with the way I carry myself, the information I speak is still hopefully helpful. Law school is a serious financial decision. Go into it with full knowledge of what you're getting yourself into and expect to work in and out of class.
Last edited by EmoryThreeL on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 pm

EmoryThreeL wrote:
apl6783 wrote:Why don't you people let this guy talk. If you think he's pretentious, don't read his responses. Get off this website and do something else.

He doesn't sound pretentious to me. Attacking everything he says as if he's trying to convince people to go to Emory is dumb. He's fairly objective and speaks reasonably.

If you've posted thousands of times on this forum, I don't want to hear your bullshit. You have nothing to contribute. Allow this thread to be informative for people who are considering Emory. Don't turn it into another one of your dipshit TLS pro arguments. Your bullshit makes it hard for people who want to use this website as a resource to get information.

tyft

I want to use this post to clarify. I come off a little dbag. I'm not worried about that. I did it on purpose because I knew my demeanor would cause a stir in the law school. I bet there are 3Ls at Emory checking this thread out right now when they would otherwise not give TLS a look. Check out the page views on this thread. Mission accomplished. They should chime in with candor.

The biggest thing to me as a 0L was transparency. I didn't care to be wined and dined. I knew law schools just used bs to recruit and talk about how great they are. Bottom line, they don't really care about anything other than increasing their prestige and collecting your tuition dollars. Sure, faculty, as individuals, care. But lets be real. This is a business transaction. If I dropped six figures and ended up jobless, I'd be pissed. And why's that? Because I may have been fooled into thinking Emory itself would carry me home.

Nonsense. I'm here to say that in this tier of law schools (WUSTL, GW, BC, BU), you need to work at it. Think very, very hard before spending serious money. And know that your work doesn't end in class. The interview for a job never stops.

When Above The Law got the Partlett email, some students were furious. "Who would do this to our law school?!" "This just makes us look even worse." Who cares? When people are spending 100k+, give them all the information possible. People were pissed at it being released because it made Emory look bad and they think it'll hurt their future job search. No, your bellyaching will hurt it more. When I heard about Emory's employment numbers, I said "THANK YOU!" So many people are suckered into Emory being a golden ticket. Complete nonsense.

I'm not saying Emory is John Marshall. There's a difference. The Emory degree gives you a brand of saying, yes, she's competent. But no one is going to be automatically impressed and begging to give you an offer. Emory will give you the tools, I assure you.

I mean, there are 3Ls right now independently collecting employment data of our class. That's awesome information but why not do this sooner? Reminds me of when someone gets a bad grade on an exam. They look and see if anyone else did bad so they can collectively blame the class, prof, test, whatever other than him/herself for not studying as well as he/she should have. Maybe if they spent their time more constructively, they'd be employed. These people are calling for Career Services' heads. But for what? CSOs at nearly every single law school are the same.

I suspect there are faculty at Emory reading this, cringing at my demeanor, but applauding my shots at my classmates. If you disagree with the way I carry myself, the information I speak is still hopefully helpful. Law school is a serious financial decision. Go into it with full knowledge of what you're getting yourself into and expect to work in and out of class.

Preach it, brother.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 am

I dont think this poster deserves hate - I think he/she came up with a brutally honest picture of what Emory is like ITE for those who expect jobs to fall on their lap and arent out HUSTLING everyday. Going to class, studying, and taking exams is not hustling.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 am

Sandro wrote:I dont think this poster deserves hate - I think he/she came up with a brutally honest picture of what Emory is like ITE for those who expect jobs to fall on their lap and arent out HUSTLING everyday. Going to class, studying, and taking exams is not hustling.

So, let me get this straight.
Emory claims it can give six figure jobs.
People who:
1. believe them,
2. put down 150,000
3. go to class
4. study
and
5. take exams,

Those people don't deserve jobs? Unless your being sarcasic, your an idiot.

Its not a matter of not "hustling enough." No matter how much everyone hustles, or pimps, or w/e the fuck you kids call it these days, half of the class is going to be below 50%. ANd in the big law world, and a lot of the time that is a death blow, no matter how much hustling and pimping and what not is being done.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Sandro wrote:I dont think this poster deserves hate - I think he/she came up with a brutally honest picture of what Emory is like ITE for those who expect jobs to fall on their lap and arent out HUSTLING everyday. Going to class, studying, and taking exams is not hustling.

Every law school claims it can give six figure jobs.
People who:
1. believe them,
2. put down 150,000
3. go to class
4. study
and
5. take exams,

Those people don't deserve jobs? Unless your being ironic, your an idiot.

Its not a matter of not "hustling enough" no matter how much everyone hustles, or pimps, or w/e the fuck you kids call it these days, half of the class is going to be below 50%, and a lot of the time that is a death blow to big law apps, no matter how much hustling and pimping and what not is being done.

FTFY

And I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say, can you articulate it better?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Every law school claims it can give six figure jobs.
People who:
1. believe them,
2. put down 150,000
3. go to class
4. study
and
5. take exams,

Its not a matter of not "hustling enough" no matter how much everyone hustles, or pimps, or w/e the fuck you kids call it these days, half of the class is going to be below 50%, and a lot of the time that is a death blow to big law apps, no matter how much hustling and pimping and what not is being done.

FTFY

And I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say, can you articulate it better?

I'm saying:

op is saying that people don't deserve jobs if they don't hustle enough. And this is wrong.

The reality is a lot of people are going to get screwed, and its not their fault. If a school promises you a job, and you show up and work hard, why is it your fault that you didn't get a job?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

People who:
1. believe them,
2. put down 150,000
3. go to class
4. study
and
5. take exams,

Where did I say they didnt DESERVE jobs? Everyone in America deserves a job to some extent. Finishing below 50% and not maximizing your job search opportunities (going to class/studying/exams and thats it, hoping OCI will save you) seems to be rather ignorant of ITE. I'd say thats more the economy's fault, with the student coming in second, than ELS.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 am

Sandro wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

People who:
1. believe them,
2. put down 150,000
3. go to class
4. study
and
5. take exams,

Where did I say they didnt DESERVE jobs? Everyone in America deserves a job to some extent. Finishing below 50% and not maximizing your job search opportunities (going to class/studying/exams and thats it, hoping OCI will save you) seems to be rather ignorant of ITE. I'd say thats more the economy's fault, with the student coming in second, than ELS.

finishing below 50% is ignorant ite?

Half the class is going to finish below 50%, no matter what the fuck they do, no matter how hard they study. Its a zero sum game, and half the class is going to get fucked.

edited to add- I read the rest of your post-
I think
Economy >student > emory is pretty legit assessment.

My point is, the idea that certain people don't deserve jobs because they didn't finish high enough is absurd. I mean by definition that means half the people at each law school don't deserve jobs.

I'm going all over the place with my "points" if you can call them that. I guess I just think that the OP was acting like a douche. What I got from him was that he worked hard and hustled, and that if his class mates had been hardworkers and hustled like him they would have gotten jobs too. And thats not true. Its just not. Law school rankings are a zero sum game and some people are GOING to get fucked. Sure, you can always improve your grades, but by definition, someone else's grades are dropping. Someone else out there is getting fucked.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
I'm saying:

op is saying that people don't deserve jobs if they don't hustle enough. And this is wrong.

The reality is a lot of people are going to get screwed, and its not their fault. If a school promises you a job, and you show up and work hard, why is it your fault that you didn't get a job?

Gotcha. I, however, would disagree in saying that it isn't their fault. Occasionally life just screws you, but I put the onus on the prospective student to be fully informed and aware of what is going on in the job market. I believe the statistic is 45,000 graduates every year for 30,000 legal jobs. Believing a school when they say that can get you a job is naive at best and purely ignorant at worst.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:The reality is a lot of people are going to get screwed, and its not their fault. If a school promises you a job, and you show up and work hard, why is it your fault that you didn't get a job?

Class of 2009/2010/2011 started law school when the economy wasnt a festering pile of shit. Jobs outlook was a lot better back then - when those jobs disappear its not emory's fault.

When I started school if I had known I would graduate into one of the worst economies since the Great Depression I would have A. Networked a lot more B. Done more internships C. Done other stuff. I take responsibility for my lack of jobs, with the knowledge that its mostly the economy's fault and rarely do I ever blame my undergrad.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

People who:
1. believe them,
2. put down 150,000
3. go to class
4. study
and
5. take exams,

finishing below 50% is ignorant ite?

Half the class is going to finish below 50%, no matter what the fuck they do, no matter how hard they study. Its a zero sum game, and half the class is going to get fucked.

edited to add- ELS?

Stop twisting my words. I didnt say finishing 50% below was ignorant - I said finishing below 50% (which you have a good idea, its not like one day you wake up below median after being top10%) and NOT maximizing your job search opportunities is ignorant ITE. You say everyone is hustling but we all know thats not true because , and its not entirely blameworthy, they are operating under that false assumption that the school will get them a job. 5 years ago that might have worked, not today.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:14 am

posted again in case you don't read edit:

I'm going all over the place with my "points" if you can call them that. I guess I just think that the OP was acting like a douche. What I got from him was that he worked hard and hustled, and that if his class mates had been hardworkers and hustled like him they would have gotten jobs too. And thats not true. Its just not. Law school rankings are a zero sum game and some people are GOING to get fucked. Sure, you can always improve your grades, but by definition, someone else's grades are dropping. Someone else out there is getting fucked.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:14 am

Sandro wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:The reality is a lot of people are going to get screwed, and its not their fault. If a school promises you a job, and you show up and work hard, why is it your fault that you didn't get a job?

Class of 2009/2010/2011 started law school when the economy wasnt a festering pile of shit. Jobs outlook was a lot better back then - when those jobs disappear its not emory's fault.

When I started school if I had known I would graduate into one of the worst economies since the Great Depression I would have A. Networked a lot more B. Done more internships C. Done other stuff. I take responsibility for my lack of jobs, with the knowledge that its mostly the economy's fault and rarely do I ever blame my undergrad.

+1000000000000

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 am

If you are afraid of finishing at median or below and how that will affect your job prospects then dont go to Emory or law school in general.

Emory never claimed it could land you big law at median. Even in boom times, it was placing maybe 35-40% tops in big firms. Median still was not assured anything. I can tell you most students going to a T20-30 school DO NOT expect jobs handed to them. The students expect to be given the opportunity to compete for a job ( by getting a solid education, good name recognition, networking opportunities), but by no means does anyone in that range expect jobs to just be waiting there for them to grab.

Nicholasnickynic, in this economy, even with good grades ( above top 30%) if you dont hustle you will not have your ideal job most likely. So to an extent Emory threeL is correct. If you dont hustle, you likely wont get a job.

*edited to say : DO NOT expect jobs handed to them.
Last edited by treeey86 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 am

treeey86 wrote:If you are afraid of finishing at median or below and how that will affect your job prospects then dont go to Emory or law school in general.

Emory never claimed it could land you big law at median. Even in boom times, it was placing maybe 35-40% tops in big firms. Median still was not assured anything. I can tell you most students going to a T20-30 school expects jobs handed to them. The students expect to be given the opportunity to compete for a job ( by getting a solid education, good name recognition, networking opportunities), but by no means does anyone in that range expect jobs to just be waiting there for them to grab.

Nicholasnickynic, in this economy, even with good grades ( above top 30%) if you dont hustle you will not have your ideal job most likely. So to an extent Emory threeL is correct. If you dont hustle, you likely wont get a job.

I guarantee there is an Emory brochure out there advertising a median salary of at least 100k.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
treeey86 wrote:If you are afraid of finishing at median or below and how that will affect your job prospects then dont go to Emory or law school in general.

Emory never claimed it could land you big law at median. Even in boom times, it was placing maybe 35-40% tops in big firms. Median still was not assured anything. I can tell you most students going to a T20-30 school expects jobs handed to them. The students expect to be given the opportunity to compete for a job ( by getting a solid education, good name recognition, networking opportunities), but by no means does anyone in that range expect jobs to just be waiting there for them to grab.

I guarantee there is an Emory brochure out there advertising a median salary of at least 100k.

And I guarantee anyone who takes that as face value deserves whats coming to them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”