Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Re: Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
treeey86 wrote:If you are afraid of finishing at median or below and how that will affect your job prospects then dont go to Emory or law school in general.

Emory never claimed it could land you big law at median. Even in boom times, it was placing maybe 35-40% tops in big firms. Median still was not assured anything. I can tell you most students going to a T20-30 school expects jobs handed to them. The students expect to be given the opportunity to compete for a job ( by getting a solid education, good name recognition, networking opportunities), but by no means does anyone in that range expect jobs to just be waiting there for them to grab.

Nicholasnickynic, in this economy, even with good grades ( above top 30%) if you dont hustle you will not have your ideal job most likely. So to an extent Emory threeL is correct. If you dont hustle, you likely wont get a job.
I guarantee there is an Emory brochure out there advertising a median salary of at least 100k.
And I guarantee anyone who takes that as face value deserves whats coming to them.
Really? I'm guessing you also think that people who take predatory loans and then get convicted- those people don't deserve their homes?

ELS2010

New

Post by ELS2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
ELS2010 wrote:Yes. It was pretty brutal at graduation (I'm not sure I could have picked a shittier year to graduate, except perhaps 2009), but as far as I know pretty much everyone has found something by now.
Looking back on it, would you have taken a school like WUSTL if COA was the same.....career wise?
No way. No matter what USNews thinks, ELS is one of the top 3 schools in the southeast (by a long shot) and everybody knows it. I had no interest in going up north, but my classmates who wanted to go up there are all there and they all have jobs. Yeah, there were a lot of people who didn't have jobs at graduation. And yeah, there were a number of people who panicked and decided that they'd go get an LLM to ride things out for a while (so apparently they are "unemployed").

There seems to be this perception if you don't have a 160K job lined up by March of your 3L year, you'll wind up homeless or something. That could not be further from the truth.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
treeey86 wrote:If you are afraid of finishing at median or below and how that will affect your job prospects then dont go to Emory or law school in general.

Emory never claimed it could land you big law at median. Even in boom times, it was placing maybe 35-40% tops in big firms. Median still was not assured anything. I can tell you most students going to a T20-30 school expects jobs handed to them. The students expect to be given the opportunity to compete for a job ( by getting a solid education, good name recognition, networking opportunities), but by no means does anyone in that range expect jobs to just be waiting there for them to grab.

Nicholasnickynic, in this economy, even with good grades ( above top 30%) if you dont hustle you will not have your ideal job most likely. So to an extent Emory threeL is correct. If you dont hustle, you likely wont get a job.
I guarantee there is an Emory brochure out there advertising a median salary of at least 100k.
And I guarantee anyone who takes that as face value deserves whats coming to them.
Really? I'm guessing you also think that people who take predatory loans and then get convicted- those people don't deserve their homes?
If there is the vast amount of information out there like there is for lawl schools that can be discovered with a few clicks of the mouse, then yet, absolutely.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 am

So wait, is emory's low employment data due to people not networking well enough? i dont get it. Because what about emory makes one a poor networker, as opposed to say, UC Davis? maybe that cool california attitude?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:35 am

EmoryThreeL wrote:I want to use this post to clarify. I come off a little dbag. I'm not worried about that. I did it on purpose because I knew my demeanor would cause a stir in the law school. I bet there are 3Ls at Emory checking this thread out right now when they would otherwise not give TLS a look. Check out the page views on this thread. Mission accomplished. They should chime in with candor.

The biggest thing to me as a 0L was transparency. I didn't care to be wined and dined. I knew law schools just used bs to recruit and talk about how great they are. Bottom line, they don't really care about anything other than increasing their prestige and collecting your tuition dollars. Sure, faculty, as individuals, care. But lets be real. This is a business transaction. If I dropped six figures and ended up jobless, I'd be pissed. And why's that? Because I may have been fooled into thinking Emory itself would carry me home.

Nonsense. I'm here to say that in this tier of law schools (WUSTL, GW, BC, BU), you need to work at it. Think very, very hard before spending serious money. And know that your work doesn't end in class. The interview for a job never stops.

When Above The Law got the Partlett email, some students were furious. "Who would do this to our law school?!" "This just makes us look even worse." Who cares? When people are spending 100k+, give them all the information possible. People were pissed at it being released because it made Emory look bad and they think it'll hurt their future job search. No, your bellyaching will hurt it more. When I heard about Emory's employment numbers, I said "THANK YOU!" So many people are suckered into Emory being a golden ticket. Complete nonsense.

I'm not saying Emory is John Marshall. There's a difference. The Emory degree gives you a brand of saying, yes, she's competent. But no one is going to be automatically impressed and be begging to give you an offer. Emory will give you the tools, I assure you.

I mean, there are 3Ls right now independently collecting employment data of our class. That's awesome information but why not do this sooner? Reminds me of when someone gets a bad grade on an exam. They look and see if anyone else did bad so they can collectively blame the class, prof, test, whatever other than him/herself for not studying as well as he/she should have. Maybe if they spent their time more constructively, they'd be employed. These people are calling for Career Services' heads. But for what? CSOs at nearly every single law school are the same.

I suspect there are faculty at Emory reading this, cringing at my demeanor, but applauding my shots at my classmates. If you disagree with the way I carry myself, the information I speak is still hopefully helpful. Law school is a serious financial decision. Go into it with full knowledge of what you're getting yourself into and expect to work in and out of class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 am

TyrodTaylor wrote:So wait, is emory's low employment data due to people not networking well enough? i dont get it. Because what about emory makes one a poor networker, as opposed to say, UC Davis? maybe that cool california attitude?
Good point is good.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 am

LoL @ people thinking an education, grades and an overpriced school means you "deserve" a job. Noone deserves a job except people who have proved themselves on the job, even if you top your class at HLS...

Lots of people in this thread obviously have no real world life experience. If you can't hustle, then you don't deserve a job, ever. Just because some people get jobs handed to them undeservedly doesn't mean it is correct.

There is a reason that law firms and other companies could decimate their ranks and still be highly profitable---there is a ton of dead weight out there.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:So wait, is emory's low employment data due to people not networking well enough? i dont get it. Because what about emory makes one a poor networker, as opposed to say, UC Davis? maybe that cool california attitude?
Good point is good.
Davis has 100% reporting?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Good point is good.
Davis has 100% reporting?
Like you have time to fill out a salary survey when you're out there HUSTLIN'

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:20 am

fatduck wrote: Like you have time to fill out a salary survey when you're out there HUSTLIN'
:roll:

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:LoL @ people thinking an education, grades and an overpriced school means you "deserve" a job. Noone deserves a job except people who have proved themselves on the job, even if you top your class at HLS...

Lots of people in this thread obviously have no real world life experience. If you can't hustle, then you don't deserve a job, ever. Just because some people get jobs handed to them undeservedly doesn't mean it is correct.

There is a reason that law firms and other companies could decimate their ranks and still be highly profitable---there is a ton of dead weight out there.

back in your day did you walk up hill to school and uphill back home, and it was in the snow and it was 5 miles total?

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

Everyday im WUSTLin'

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:36 am

1. Hustle 977 up, 175 down
a) make money doing something slightly shady
b) dance from the 70's

2. Hustle 786 up, 89 down
Anythin you need to do to make money... be it sellin cars, drugs, ya body. If you makin money, you hustlin.

3. Hustle 392 up, 91 down
A faster way to make money also known as the Come up, Usually done illegaly.

??

Are we talking about #2 here?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:LoL @ people thinking an education, grades and an overpriced school means you "deserve" a job. Noone deserves a job except people who have proved themselves on the job, even if you top your class at HLS...

back in your day did you walk up hill to school and uphill back home, and it was in the snow and it was 5 miles total?
And we wonder why this/my generation is full of pussies with useless degrees and weak minds.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:25 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

And we wonder why this/my generation is full of pussies with useless degrees and weak minds.
says the guy who thinks Seton Hall is worth sticker

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:26 pm

fatduck wrote: says the guy who thinks Seton Hall is worth sticker
Never said that.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:27 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Never said that.
sorry, says the guy who thinks Seton Hall is worth 2/3 sticker

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Never said that.
Never said that either.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

says the guy who thinks Seton Hall is worth sticker
Wait, there is someone who thinks Seton Hall is worth sticker? We need more like this, I am looking to open up my own law school. You know, a mom and pop place, maybe if I charge 15k/year and teach the classes myself at least some kids may think its a good deal.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:30 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Never said that.
Never said that either.
o rly

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm

fatduck wrote: o rly
Where did I say it was worth 2/3 sticker? I just said don't take advice from someone who knows nothing about the NJ legal market or Seton Hall.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm

fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Never said that.
Ad hominem?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Never said that.
Ad hominem?
and?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Where did I say it was worth 2/3 sticker? I just said don't take advice from someone who knows nothing about the NJ legal market or Seton Hall.
see, this kind of backpedaling is what's wrong with kids these days. own up to your opinions, bro.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:36 pm

fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
see, this kind of backpedaling is what's wrong with kids these days. own up to your opinions, bro.
Learn how to read.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”