Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flexityflex86

Silver

Re: Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions

Post by flexityflex86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
fatduck wrote: o rly
Where did I say it was worth 2/3 sticker? I just said don't take advice from someone who knows nothing about the NJ legal market or Seton Hall.
see, this kind of backpedaling is what's wrong with kids these days. own up to your opinions, bro.
Learn how to read.
Lawyers don't need to know how to read.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm

This thread turned into fail.

I applaud OP for giving us a blunt assessment. He wasn't being a douche he was being to the point.

Trojanman2007

New

Post by Trojanman2007 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Since you go to Emory, I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked in another thread (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... w#p4230038 ; hard to get an assessment b/c of people flaming):

"Hey, I got in, but they were never on my shortlist (don't want to be in the south, only applied bc fee waiver). What's up with that place? From people that go there, it looks like it is a train wreck about to fly off a cliff. I even saw this website called emorylawstudent.com . Is this stuff true? Is career service really that bad at Emory?"

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Folks, EMORY is not the only option in life. Don't go six figures into debt and continue to enrich faculty for the privilege of struggling to be middle class later on.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:51 pm

If Emory was a person, it would be Lindsay Lohan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ELS2010

New

Post by ELS2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am

Trojanman2007 wrote: "Hey, I got in, but they were never on my shortlist (don't want to be in the south, only applied bc fee waiver). What's up with that place? From people that go there, it looks like it is a train wreck about to fly off a cliff. I even saw this website called emorylawstudent.com . Is this stuff true? Is career service really that bad at Emory?"
No, it isn't. Emory's big fail was that they dropped the ball on manipulating their employed-at-graduation stats for the class of 2009 unlike their peer schools. Otherwise it's a good school with generally happy students (to the extent that there's such a thing as a happy law student). Is their OCS outstanding? Probably not. Is it any worse than the OCS at any other school? Again, probably not.

EmoryThreeL

New

Post by EmoryThreeL » Fri May 27, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm not the only one who thought ELS 2011 students have a sense of entitlement and should get over it:
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... obs_to_get_/
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/possibly ... eech-ever/
Emory University law professor Sara Stadler thinks law grads need to stop coveting high-paying jobs that just aren’t available. And she said so in a commencement speech earlier this month.

"Get over it,” Stadler told law grads. “The one thing standing in the way of happiness for many people is a sense of entitlement." The Fulton County Daily Report covered the speech.

Stadler said many law grads don’t have jobs or didn’t get the job they wanted, and she wished she could change that, according to the story. But that doesn’t mean opportunities for happiness are lacking. "You might have to move to Nebraska,” Stadler said. “You might have to join a small firm where they don't make the big bucks.”

"You might also have to learn to be a giver, and not a taker. ... Givers tend to be happy people, on the whole. Takers are never satisfied. I want you to be satisfied with your professional lives. That's why I do this for a living. To look back later and say … look at the people I helped."
I wonder if she used my thread for inspiration. I hope she did!

I'm sure you'll hear this from the boomer generation every chance you get. I've already gotten used to it. I wish it were a more recent grad giving this speech. It's a lot easier for her to say the things she said. Regardless, the message is there.

And if anything, we should have heard this speech as 0Ls. Oh well, you 0Ls can have the benefit of it now. Your job market might be better but don't act like you deserve anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”