Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EmoryThreeL

New

Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions

Post by EmoryThreeL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:29 pm

I'll only answer the questions I think won't out me, are specific enough to not be regurgitation, etc. Ask about life in Atlanta, too.

I will do this until I get bored. Go.

cholza00

New

Re: Emory 3L c/o 2011 taking questions

Post by cholza00 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 pm

What are some neighborhoods close to Emory that you've heard good things about? where you can get a one bedroom in the 600-800 range?

Also how are job prospects looking? Are a lot of 3L's still jobless? or are things looking up?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Do you have a job lined up?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Do you have a job lined up?
if he says yes, it'll out him.

hiyooo

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Did people get their job offer rescinded after the Great Emory Fall of 2011?

Edited to ask: How many (not "if any") people got their job offer rescinded b/c of the Great Emory Fall of 2011?
How does it feel to be 1 rank away from being a t40 school?
Does the fact that you are basically at a t40 school make you feel like you wasted your money?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EmoryThreeL

New

Post by EmoryThreeL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 pm

cholza00 wrote:What are some neighborhoods close to Emory that you've heard good things about? where you can get a one bedroom in the 600-800 range?
Virginia Highlands is alright. I live in Buckhead. I didn't do the $600-$800 range but the Highlands would be good for that. That's a sweet spot and you'll surely find some good places in that range.
cholza00 wrote:Also how are job prospects looking? Are a lot of 3L's still jobless? or are things looking up?
I'm not one to go around asking about other people's employment prospects. It's a sore subject and I don't ask others about it. That said, if they ask me, I may or may not ask in return. What I can say, however, is that there are lots of people ticked off at Emory right now. I think the rankings drop coupled with weak employment prospects makes for a good time. From all the anger I've been reading (OMG EMORY LAW WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE), I'd say 50% are jobless. But I don't know for sure.
Cade McNown wrote:Do you have a job lined up?
Without getting too specific, six figure legal job. Of course, I hustled and didn't expect Emory to get me one. Only YS and to a not-as-full extent H students can do that. IDGAF if you're T14 or anything. YS-H students are the only ones who should really feel comfortable, IMO.

Lots of strivers come into Emory thinking they're hot stuff and end up eating it. Unless you're HYS material, don't expect to not hustle, IMO. I came into Emory knowing what I had to do, did it, and am sitting pretty right now, especially in comparison to most others. If you come to Emory, or other similar schools, expecting to be handed a job or for Career Services to do anything for you, you'll be eating it, too :)

Fisher33

New

Post by Fisher33 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:05 pm

-
Last edited by Fisher33 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Would you mind sharing roughly your class rank?

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:46 pm

How is the mobility? Do you know of people going to NYC that aren't just at the top of their class and OCI-ing in...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EmoryThreeL

New

Post by EmoryThreeL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 pm

From a PM:
tooscaredtopost wrote:Hi!

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to offer up your thoughts on Emory. Would you mind answering a couple questions I have about your experience? If you're busy I totally understand and no need to reply. Just so you know, I'm a current senior in UG trying to figure everything out.

1. You mentioned that you're doing well upon graduation because you 'knew what you had to do'. Forgive me for sounding dumb, but what DO you have to do to get those jobs? network, network, network? That's all I can really think of.
2. I'm thinking of going to X at $ versus Y at a full ride (and A or B I'm not sure about scholarship information yet). Do you have any advice? I feel like Emory would be more intimate and might have higher caliber students but a full ride is hard to beat and from what I understand Emory doesn't negotiate on scholarships.
3. Want to elaborate on anything in a private forum? Hahah.

Really, that's it. I might not get the opportunity to visit Emory and so I really value your opinion.

Thank you
1. I think a great deal of Emory's student body is made up of people straight through undergrad. That's fine but most don't know that it takes work to get a job. Networking works and I'm a really outgoing person. I'll talk to you and IDGAF if you're a SCOTUS judge, biglaw partner, or janitor. I talk to everyone the same. My personality definitely helped (I feel like this could be potentially outing). Just get to know people and work those connections. Of course, there are people who are ridiculously tactless and that kind of personality has worked to their disadvantage. All I can say is don't expect to be handed a job. Do your research, meet people, make a good impression.

I also hate the word networking. I don't go out to meet people to find a job. I just do it because I find it fun. If you have an agenda, people will see it. Think about if you were in their shoes meeting you.

2. Do what you need to do. Aside from T14 (roughly), there are no truly national schools (Howard, others). Recognize that and handle your business. I can't give this kind of advice.

3. Sure: Not to be rude, but I'd prefer not to PM because it takes away the benefit of my thoughts to other posters. I redacted potentially outing information from your PM :)
Fisher33 wrote:I understand that one should not depend on career services or the school name to get you a job. And agree that you really don't deserve it unless you are willing to work harder and outperform some other people.
That being said, as an Emory student, what was your personal experience with the helpfulness of the career services office, did they perform at least minimum expected services?
How about the administration?
Also, has this rankings, drop in employment seemed to hurt the atmosphere at Emory, is it a negative place to be, or is it the result of a few spoiled belly-achers making a bunch of noise?
They reviewed my resume once during November of my 1L year. That's about it. I didn't do mock interviews or any of that nonsense. They have it and I think they try their best. They're not particularly good with attracting employers, though. I think 3L Fall OCI had two employers. Two. I get that they don't hand people jobs but their job is to help. Two isn't helping.

Administration? I don't know.

To me, it's a hilarious atmosphere. There are definitely pissed off people. The law school held discussion panels to hear students out. I didn't go to any of them (I really don't hang around the law school, if you haven't noticed) but I heard people got heated during them. That's so funny to me. I should have gone just to laugh and stir the pot a little bit. If half the class is unemployed, I can understand bellyaching. There are definitely several spoiled people thinking they deserve something, though. Like I said, Emory attracts strivers. Good enough to be at an okay law school but not top notch.

I remember during my 0L years, Emory invited the NYC area students and talked about how, oh, we'll get you back home if you want to be. L O fucking L. Such a different tone from the admin these days. Well, probably not to the 0Ls but definitely to the 0Ls three years ago.
theavrock wrote:Would you mind sharing roughly your class rank?
No. I will say I didn't get my job through OCI. In fact, I don't think I ever bothered with OCI. Waste of time.
bigkahuna2020 wrote:How is the mobility? Do you know of people going to NYC that aren't just at the top of their class and OCI-ing in...
I don't know about not OCI-ing in. Mobility is fine in the Southeast and Northeast. You'll be fine on the east coast, I suspect. "Fine." It'll get you to where you want to go on the east coast, I think, but the rest is up to you.

I didn't proof or edit my post. It's a stream of consciousness since I have several things to get to. If anything's poorly written and thus confusing, or just plain confusing, let me know and I'll clarify in a future post.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 pm

do you consider yourself a douche?

EmoryThreeL

New

Post by EmoryThreeL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 pm

If I posted here nearly 17 times a day, yes.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 pm

EmoryThreeL wrote:If I posted here nearly 17 times a day, yes.
thanks, but there are mitigating circumstances

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 pm

What are the professors like? Most memorable professor/class?

And you went about the job search proactively--but did you get your job with networking help, or by applying to a firm you searched for and interviewed for (without career services help)?

apl6783

Bronze

Post by apl6783 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 am

What do you mean by a "striver?" The ones who didn't get scholarships? The ones that have overachieved in the past by studying a shitload but aren't really cut out for LS and now feel entitled to a job because of their 4.0 in undergrad?

EmoryThreeL

New

Post by EmoryThreeL » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:24 am

Metaread wrote:What are the professors like? Most memorable professor/class?
Just like any other school. Lots of professors DGAF and others do. My favorite prof is probably Abrams. He's a snotty little prick but I think it's an act. If you talk to him outside of class, he will show you he cares. He's made some ridiculous comments before, like "Don't strive to be a GS-13, strive to be a biglaw partner." Best part about that comment is that students in that class laughed when he said it. From what we've been learning, they're jobless :) Anyway, he'll give it to you straight but never in a malicious way. That kind of honesty is much appreciated by me.
Metaread wrote:And you went about the job search proactively--but did you get your job with networking help, or by applying to a firm you searched for and interviewed for (without career services help)?
Probably my fault for posting in such a fashion earlier but I don't want to talk about how to get a job. There are other resources for that. My intent is to talk about Emory, the situation at Emory, and Atlanta. Emory is a hot topic right now and while it definitely deserves to be smacked down a bit, it's not the worst school in the world. It gives you a decent name to do what you need to do.
apl6783 wrote:What do you mean by a "striver?" The ones who didn't get scholarships? The ones that have overachieved in the past by studying a shitload but aren't really cut out for LS and now feel entitled to a job because of their 4.0 in undergrad?
People who aren't HYS material but can't come to grips with that fact. There's nothing wrong with Emory. It's just not "I am Emory, worship me" if you catch my drift. Lots of students in this school tier (BC, GW, ND, BU, Fordham, etc.) are used to being alpha but aren't in the legal world. That's just reality and they refuse to acknowledge it. Emory is not a premiere school but it's not the worst. I'm glad I went here.
Last edited by EmoryThreeL on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jxnjxn

New

Post by jxnjxn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 am

Good lord you are an ass.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

enron123

Bronze

Post by enron123 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Do have to say what people care about is what your job search in 2L and 3L have been like particularly given the drop in the rankings.

Emory is in Atlanta which everyone can agree is a cool city and its a T30 which means nothing there sucks...leaving job search as the relevant point in the Choosing a Law School Area...
Lots of strivers come into Emory thinking they're hot stuff and end up eating it. Unless you're HYS material, don't expect to not hustle, IMO. I came into Emory knowing what I had to do, did it, and am sitting pretty right now, especially in comparison to most others. If you come to Emory, or other similar schools, expecting to be handed a job or for Career Services to do anything for you, you'll be eating it, too
Also this is a shitty couple sentences to write

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Do people often tell you that you are a pretentious douchebag?

spets

Bronze

Post by spets » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:07 pm

How bad's the traffic around Emory during rush hour? I know it gets worse as you approach downtown ATL, but I'm curious if I should be avoiding the interstate at all costs in the late afternoon.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm

jxnjxn wrote:Good lord you are an ass.
THat is his first and only post.
Some one made an account because they wanted to tell you how much of a douche you sounded like?

"Didn't hustle for it?" Are you a pimp?

P.s. idiot, if emory had 100 students, and they were the 100 smartest, hard working people in the world, 50 of them would still be below median. Also saying stuff about people don't deserve it etc...

Sure, Perhaps 10% of your class didn't try, but I can gaurantee that the rest did. There is a lot of luck involved.

P.S., if they are paying 100k, then they do deserve a fucking job. Especially when Emory acts like it will get them one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
jxnjxn wrote:Good lord you are an ass.
THat is his first and only post.
Some one made an account because they wanted to tell you how much of a douche you sounded like?

"Didn't hustle for it?" Are you a pimp?

P.s. idiot, if emory had 100 students, and they were the 100 smartest, hard working people in the world, 50 of them would still be below median. Also saying stuff about people don't deserve it etc...

Sure, Perhaps 10% of your class didn't try, but I can gaurantee that the rest did. There is a lot of luck involved.

P.S., if they are paying 100k, then they do deserve a fucking job. Especially when Emory acts like it will get them one.
sounds like you need more hustle, striver. you're not HYS material.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 pm

god...this school is becoming more and more unattractive every day.

flexityflex86

Silver

Post by flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 pm

You talked about being the alpha. What if one was never the alpha, but just did well on the LSAT, knows they're intelligent and can hustle the smoke out of hell but has no connections - what path would you recommend for them to get six figures in the Atlanta market? I don't think I'm entitled to jack and I try to be a god fearing person, but deep down I'll punch somebody flat in the nose to get it.

In this vain, as I am not HYS material due to my genetic inability to kiss ass, unless some holds pan out, I'm prob looking at the money to ELS or schools in that 16-20 range (scholarships TBD). Are these schools indeed a solid tier above ELS. I don't care about prestige. I don't need some woman trying to ride on me, because I have a fancy name on my diploma. I'm not an elitist, and I don't care about respect. I just want to be in a position where my skill allows me to dominate.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:07 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:You talked about being the alpha. What if one was never the alpha, but just did well on the LSAT, knows they're intelligent and can hustle the smoke out of hell but has no connections - what path would you recommend for them to get six figures in the Atlanta market? I don't think I'm entitled to jack and I try to be a god fearing person, but deep down I'll punch somebody flat in the nose to get it.

In this vain, as I am not HYS material due to my genetic inability to kiss ass, unless some holds pan out, I'm prob looking at the money to ELS or schools in that 16-20 range (scholarships TBD). Are these schools indeed a solid tier above ELS. I don't care about prestige. I don't need some woman trying to ride on me, because I have a fancy name on my diploma. I'm not an elitist, and I don't care about respect. I just want to be in a position where my skill allows me to dominate.
This either a very clever jab at OP's overall jackass demeanor which gives me hope for future Emory Law classes...

Or it is a serious post, in which case Emory should probably be burned to the ground with current and future students locked inside.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”