Deathmatch: Wake v. UConn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UConn or Wake

UConn (estimated COA $115k)
48%
Wake (estimated COA $105k)
52%

Total votes: 73

taxnstuff

Re: Deathmatch: Wake v. UConn

Postby taxnstuff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Go to wake so Uconn has a spot for me!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm

snapdragon wrote:Andro, today's your day! Let me know what you pick.

As for me, I'm leaning about 65% towards UConn lately. My boyfriend's mom is apparently DYING for me to go there, and has offered to put in a good word for me with all kinds of gvt people who hire legal interns / young attorneys. Really hoping they give me something in scholarship money, though. Looking at loan repayment calculators scares me, and my EFC is pretty high, so I'd be stuck with a lot of non-federal loans.

Please please please go to uconn.

Please. Connections are everything. Browse the boards- employment is a shit show right now. Seriously go to UCONN. I am going to be sad for you if you don't go. Also a few GRAD+ loans aren't going to kill you. If I'm not mistaken, its all gov't run.

Furthermore, if you can get a good word put in with Gov't people=
1. Get a gov't job
2. Only work 40-50 hours a week
3. still make in the neighborhood of 50-70k, depending
4. only have to pay back a small part of your loans (IBR)
5. WIN.

edited to add 6. Do something positive, instead of soul-crushing corporate work?

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
snapdragon wrote:Andro, today's your day! Let me know what you pick.

As for me, I'm leaning about 65% towards UConn lately. My boyfriend's mom is apparently DYING for me to go there, and has offered to put in a good word for me with all kinds of gvt people who hire legal interns / young attorneys. Really hoping they give me something in scholarship money, though. Looking at loan repayment calculators scares me, and my EFC is pretty high, so I'd be stuck with a lot of non-federal loans.

Please please please go to uconn.

Please. Connections are everything. Browse the boards- employment is a shit show right now. Seriously go to UCONN. I am going to be sad for you if you don't go. Also a few GRAD+ loans aren't going to kill you. If I'm not mistaken, its all gov't run.

Furthermore, if you can get a good word put in with Gov't people=
1. Get a gov't job
2. Only work 40-50 hours a week
3. still make in the neighborhood of 50-70k, depending
4. only have to pay back a small part of your loans (IBR)
5. WIN.

edited to add 6. Do something positive, instead of soul-crushing corporate work?

+1. And to add to my previous post, even if your CT connections can't directly help you, don't underestimate the power of just knowing someone. Even if your connections can just recommend places to send applications, because they have any sort of relationship with anyone there, you're very much ahead of the game. A cover letter that says "John Doe recommended that I contact your office..." has a default advantage over one that doesn't. Ok I'll stop trying to sell you on my school now. :P

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:39 pm

SNAPS- I really think you will be happier and less stressful at Uconn! plus working your connections is always a good idea!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks for the input guys!!

Got a scholarship email from UConn today. I'm still going to sleep on and think about my decision, but right now, pretty much UConn. The scholarship is enough that I can keep my debt under $100k even without living at home for a year, and probably make it more like $80k if I'm able to (able to meaning my parents agree to it. They like their freedom!)

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 pm

snapdragon wrote:Thanks for the input guys!!

Got a scholarship email from UConn today. I'm still going to sleep on and think about my decision, but right now, pretty much UConn. The scholarship is enough that I can keep my debt under $100k even without living at home for a year, and probably make it more like $80k if I'm able to (able to meaning my parents agree to it. They like their freedom!)

Nice! Congratulations! Good luck to you, wherever you end up.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 pm

this is great! for your personal situation I think UConn could be the better choice.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

DeeCee wrote:

this is great! for your personal situation I think UConn could be the better choice.

+1 Glad they gave you money :-)

I've decided on FSU if that makes you feel better :-)

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

PM'd you, but it sort of does make me feel better. So many more fun Wake posters on this site. Heartford's pretty much holding down the fort for UConn.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:35 pm

snapdragon wrote:PM'd you, but it sort of does make me feel better. So many more fun Wake posters on this site. Heartford's pretty much holding down the fort for UConn.

Yeah I don't think there are many UConn students who use TLS, unless they're all lurking in the shadows. I mostly just lurked too until sort of recently when I saw all of you guys start to talk about applying and wanted to help. Anyway, congrats again and best of luck to you. (if you're still interested in your poll you should probably adjust the UConn price now that it's dropped!)

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 pm

snapdragon wrote:PM'd you, but it sort of does make me feel better. So many more fun Wake posters on this site. Heartford's pretty much holding down the fort for UConn.

<3

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:52 am

Just updating because I like closure - depositing at UConn today. They ended up offering me a good scholarship for the first year, which will bring my debt below $100k regardless of whether I live at home or not. That combined with the way I felt about the campus and my desire to practice in New England sealed the deal for me. So unless something crazy happens in the next 2-3 days, it's UConn for me!

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:40 am

Congrats Snaps!!!!!!!!!! you will be happy!!!!!!!!!woot woot

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 am

snapdragon wrote:Just updating because I like closure - depositing at UConn today. They ended up offering me a good scholarship for the first year, which will bring my debt below $100k regardless of whether I live at home or not. That combined with the way I felt about the campus and my desire to practice in New England sealed the deal for me. So unless something crazy happens in the next 2-3 days, it's UConn for me!

great to hear!

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 pm

They say it is very easy to get residency and instate tuition for second and third year at UCONN . You may want to factor that in. Sorry late comments/ Hope you like UCONN

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Emma1 wrote:They say it is very easy to get residency and instate tuition for second and third year at UCONN . You may want to factor that in. Sorry late comments/ Hope you like UCONN

She is already a Conn. resident. :-)

androstan

Postby androstan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:45 pm

snapdragon wrote:Just updating because I like closure - depositing at UConn today. They ended up offering me a good scholarship for the first year, which will bring my debt below $100k regardless of whether I live at home or not. That combined with the way I felt about the campus and my desire to practice in New England sealed the deal for me. So unless something crazy happens in the next 2-3 days, it's UConn for me!

Congratz! I'll miss you at GW.

Sent in my deposit today.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”