UT vs. Vandy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT or Vandy?

UT (approx. 20k/year tuition)
47%
Vandy (approx. 25k/year tuition)
53%

Total votes: 75

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Re: UT vs. Vandy?

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:12 pm

UT unless you want to work in the south east.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Slevin Kelevra 2011 wrote:UT unless you want to work in the south east.

Why would UT have more portability out of the SW than Vandy out of the SE? It is my understanding that this is backwards.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Now the poll is a 50/50 split!

Texas is very humid in the summers as well. I'm not sure how it compares to Nashville humidity, but it's pretty miserable.

I was also under the impression that Vandy had more reach vs. Texas just dominating in Texas.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:26 pm

rupret1 wrote:I voted Texas and the reason is that I've got a handful of friends who have gone to Vandy Law recently and they all painted a very grim picture of job prospects. They all told me the same information separately, that they recommend I re-consider law at all, but if I *really* want to study law, to go to the top State school wherever I'd like to practice. For me, that's Texas. And with your ties in state, I'd make the same choice.

I live in the southeast now, grew up in Texas, and the humidity here is a bear. I'm used to being hot, but humidity takes it to another level. You get sweaty twice as fast. At times it feels like you are walking in a sauna, particularly in the summer months. The slightly lower temps do not convey how it really feels compared to Texas heat.

Also, I'm a Texan, so what else do I really need to say?

Really??? Could you expand upon this a bit. And if Vandy is a bloodbath, could UT be much better?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:31 pm

akili wrote:Now the poll is a 50/50 split!

Texas is very humid in the summers as well. I'm not sure how it compares to Nashville humidity, but it's pretty miserable.

I was also under the impression that Vandy had more reach vs. Texas just dominating in Texas.

go where you feel most comfortable at. Read your previous posts about UT and Vandy- and listen to what you are saying in them. this is a very personal decision- and you know where you want to be. I still say vandy, and will vote vandy all day, every day, and thrice on sundays!( but i only voted once so i wouldnt skew the voting process)

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
rupret1 wrote:I voted Texas and the reason is that I've got a handful of friends who have gone to Vandy Law recently and they all painted a very grim picture of job prospects. They all told me the same information separately, that they recommend I re-consider law at all, but if I *really* want to study law, to go to the top State school wherever I'd like to practice. For me, that's Texas. And with your ties in state, I'd make the same choice.

I live in the southeast now, grew up in Texas, and the humidity here is a bear. I'm used to being hot, but humidity takes it to another level. You get sweaty twice as fast. At times it feels like you are walking in a sauna, particularly in the summer months. The slightly lower temps do not convey how it really feels compared to Texas heat.

Really??? Could you expand upon this a bit. And if Vandy is a bloodbath, could UT be much better?

I'll expand what little I know. I've got 3 friends (really more like acquaintances or friend of friends) who went to Vandy recently. Two graduated recently, one is a few years out. The two who graduated haven't found a job in law. One is waiting tables in the Atlanta area and another is working data-entry at her parents business. They weren't tip-top of their class at Vandy, but they were in the top half. They both said job prospects are bad, and that they don't recommend going to Vanderbilt, and that they would not do it again if they knew where they would be now.

The guy who is a few years out works for a firm in Nashville, but he said that hiring at his firm is almost at a standstill, as are most of the others he knows of. He laughed when I told him I was thinking law school, asked what I do now, and said to stick to that. Then he backtracked and said, if you really want to do law, go to the top school in whatever state you want to practice if you want a job when you graduate.

I'm not trying to sway anyone, and these experiences and opinions may not be typical. I just know these are fairly smart, nice people and if they can't find a job, then what makes me any different?
Last edited by rupret1 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm

rupret1 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

I'll expand what little I know. I've got 3 friends (really more like acquaintances or friend of friends) who went to Vandy recently. Two graduated recently, one is a few years out. The two who graduated haven't found a job in law. One is waiting tables in the Atlanta area and another is working data-entry at her parents business. They weren't tip-top of their class at Vandy, but they were in the top half. They both said job prospects are bad, and that they don't recommend going to Vanderbilt, and that they would not do it again if they knew where they would be now.

The guy who is a few years out works for a firm in Nashville, but he said that hiring at his firm is almost at a standstill, as are most of the others he knows of. He laughed when I told him I was thinking law school, asked what I do now, and said to stick to that. Then he backtracked and said, if you really want to do law, go to the top school in whatever state you want to practice if you want a job when you graduate.

I'm not trying to sway anyone, and these experiences and opinions may not be typical. I just know these are fairly smart, nice people and if they can't find a job, then what makes me any different?

I don't have a lot of specifics about the

:shock:

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
rupret1 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

+1

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:56 pm

akili wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

+1

+2. This is the only time I've heard anything negative about Vanderbilt, ever.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm

I wouldn't put much stock into the anecdotal evidence of dim job prospects at Vandy. This is more a function of the current economy for all law students and does not reflect on Vanderbilt specifically. These are dark days at Vanderbilt, relative to the past, but the story is very similar at Texas and most everywhere else as well.

Every placement ranking I've seen, whether including only Big Law or even when including Article III clerkships and the like, has put Vanderbilt not only in the range of Texas but usually a bit ahead of it.

Now with regard to firms outside of Big Law, and I certainly think everyone should consider options outside of that miserable rat race, perhaps Austin is a larger home market to put some legwork into than Nashville. But it sounds like akili has fallback options available in Austin whether she goes to Texas or Vandy.

One last point I haven't seen brought up is that akili, if I recall, is interested in public interest law? Maybe? So then perhaps the LRAPs might come into play. I haven't got a clue as to whether Vandy or Texas has a better LRAP but I'm sure someone else can comment intelligently on that facet.

EDIT:
akili wrote:Career goals: I'd like to be an ADA or work in public interest. I want to avoid spending unnecessary money, but for a variety of reasons I won't be going in to debt at all.

If only I could read! So LRAPs may not come into play at all. But I still find it hard to believe that Texas places better for ADA/PI than Vandy.

juevonate

Postby juevonate » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 pm

UT has a better LRAP in my opinion, based on the fact that it is not unbindingly linked to IRB, and seems more secure....If your salary was 35K or below, UT definitely will almost have the better deal with LRAP's.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm really lucky to have debt not be a problem (i.e. I won't have any with either school due to family help and savings). Because of this, I wouldn't qualify for LRAP (IIRC)

eta: and RC fail for me too, Attorney totally saw that. Whoops!

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 pm

akili wrote:I'm really lucky to have debt not be a problem (i.e. I won't have any with either school due to family help and savings). Because of this, I wouldn't qualify for LRAP (IIRC)

then go where you want to go. see both- visit both, and spend a few days in vandy and ut

Return to “Choosing a Law School”