UT vs. Vandy?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT or Vandy?

UT (approx. 20k/year tuition)
47%
Vandy (approx. 25k/year tuition)
53%

Total votes: 75

akili

UT vs. Vandy?

Postby akili » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:42 am

I'm pretty excited to be making this thread and I'm interested to hear what people think.

My cycle is winding down and my two top choices are UT and Vandy (barring Michigan surprise acceptance off the WL, lol). Career goals: I'd like to be an ADA or work in public interest. I want to avoid spending unnecessary money, but for a variety of reasons I won't be going in to debt at all.

UT
Pros: I'm from Austin and grew up here. I know the town and I have a support system of my parents and church group. It looks like I could live for a bit cheaper in Austin. The scholarship I received at UT (plus in-state) means it will be less expensive than Vanderbilt per year. Additionally, my mom has some strong connections to lawyers here and I have been promised an internship for my 2L summer and a job during 3L (as long as I don't bomb). The job/internship aren't exactly in the field I want but it's not a bad option. UT has great clinical offerings and journals.

Cons: Austin is freaking hot. I hate hot weather. I don't think I want to be 'stuck' in Texas after graduating. The facilities are pretty awful.

Vandy
Pros: I love the Vanderbilt campus. My sister goes there for UG and there is a possibility we could share an apartment (cutting costs). I like the facilities. They have a clinics in very relevant topics for me. The climate is awesome and I could get back to Texas if I want, or look at new markets.

Cons: It's more expensive. I don't have any connections in Nashville or the South Atlantic area. COL seems to be a bit higher.

TL;DR --UT is a bit cheaper and I have local connections, Vandy might have a bit more 'reach' and is not located in a sauna...
Last edited by akili on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMA22

Re: UT vs. Vandy

Postby SMA22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Vandy--sounds like programmatically it's a better fit for you, and that you'd enjoy leaving the region and being with your sis! For a few dollars more, I think you'd be a lot happier at Vandy :D

angua

Postby angua » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm

SMA22 wrote:Vandy--sounds like programmatically it's a better fit for you, and that you'd enjoy leaving the region and being with your sis! For a few dollars more, I think you'd be a lot happier at Vandy :D

+1 to Vandy. Will having a few extra bucks in your pocket make you happier than going to Vandy? I would say don't close yourself off from new connections and opportunities -- you may be guaranteed an okay job in TX, but don't limit yourself to that!

You sound so much more excited about Vandy. Go where your heart takes you.

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 pm

angua wrote:
SMA22 wrote:You sound so much more excited about Vandy. Go where your heart takes you.

+1 :)

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

I chose vandy as well. You have connections in texas- so if you remain in contact, they will be there. Also, vandy will set you up with a network in nashville, so you could be networking at 2 placees at the same time. Also- having your sister at the school will give you a breather, and someone who knows you and will be able to help you if you get stressed. ( You also have this at UT- but it sounds like from your previous posts that you want a change of scenery). Both of these options are fantastic schools, but it seems as though you are more comfortable on the Vandy campus. From your other posts, you seem pretty set on seeing another part of the country. Vandy is close enough to Texas where if you need to you can get home soon, but its far away where you can grow and explore and make a decision to return or not on your own. If you go to texas, there is always the chance that you will wonder what if- going to vandy and keeping the texas network inteact ( while working onthe vandy networking) will possibly allow you to have the best of both worlds. Also- by attending vandy you will create your own network of people and contacts, so dont worry about that too much. Hope this helps. Remember that you got into 2 fantastic schools, and with a scholly at both- you are in a great place.

Moral_Midgetry

Re: UT vs. Vandy?

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 pm

On a serious note, I say Vandy because of two reasons: (1) Portability outside of Texas and (2) because of the environment at Vandy is awesome. I think the cost difference is negligible, especially since it won't be debt to you anyway. Go where you are happiest and it seems that Vandy fits the bill for that.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Congrats on your excellent choices! Let me address something, though:
akili wrote:Cons: Austin is freaking hot. I hate hot weather.

Nashville is very hot during the summers. For most of the summer, it's above 90 degrees. Also, the humidity's awful. I'm sure it's not as hot as Austin, but Nashville's not like Upstate New York or anything.

If I were you, I'd choose the school you like best. Your connections aren't going anywhere, Vandy has a good reputation, and, since you said you're not accruing any debt, you can afford to pick based on other factors.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:17 pm

ATR wrote: Let me address something, though:
Nashville is very hot during the summers. For most of the summer, it's above 90 degrees. Also, the humidity's awful. I'm sure it's not as hot as Austin, but Nashville's not like Upstate New York or anything.

Credited.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:13 pm

akili wrote:Cons: Austin is freaking hot. I hate hot weather. I don't think I want to be 'stuck' in Texas after graduating.

Hi Akili!

Aw man, I've heard only great things about Austin. South by Southwest? Austin City Limits? KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD? I guess nowhere seems cool once you've grown up there.

I'll pile on here and say that Nashville averages a high of a very humid 90 in July. Austin is a few degrees warmer than that, but far less humid. As anyone from the southeastern US knows, it will FEEL hotter in the summers of Nashville than it did back in Austin. But if you're working somewhere during your summers, it won't necessarily be in Nashville.

I think you're probably right about the national reach thing. Vandy grads certainly spread out a lot more than Texas grads after their three years are up. And you really can't stay in the same city all your life and get as complete a world view as you'd get from exploring a few different places.

I voted for Vandy, so I just hope you're not much of a college sports fan (in that regard, Texas > most everyone else in the world > Vandy). :P

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Attorney wrote:
I voted for Vandy, so I just hope you're not much of a college sports fan (in that regard, Texas > most everyone else in the world > Vandy). :P

TITCR.
I should add that I'm a HUGE UT football fan.

Is it really that hot in Nashville? I looked online and it looked like Austin was significantly hotter in the summer. If it really is as hot, I would have to consider. I really really hate hot weather. I hate sweating when I walk to my car...

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 pm

I like Vandy for you too. Expand your connections by removing yourself from TX for 3 years. Plus it sounds like Quality of Life is higher there based on your preferences. Two good options though, really can't go wrong.

angua

Postby angua » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:23 pm

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... h/USTN0357

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... h/USTX0057

Nashville is, on average, cooler than Austin during the hottest months of the year. HTH

Edit: Durr. This is a link that will show you the comparison so you don't have to click two links:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... 2=USTX0057
I fail at internets.

Anyway, pretty much everywhere south of North Carolina is going to be nasty hot and humid during the summers. No matter where you go, fans or AC will be useful. Just try to get summer jobs up north and you'll be fine! :-P

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Vandy b/c I want your spot at UT :lol:

Honestly, tho, I agree that you sound more excited about Vandy. Understandably so...it's something new and it's a great school. Go where you want to be! Congrats on these options.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 pm

akili wrote:If it really is as hot, I would have to consider. I really really hate hot weather. I hate sweating when I walk to my car...

angua wrote:http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USTN0357

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... h/USTX0057

Nashville is, on average, cooler than Austin during the hottest months of the year. HTH

Austin may be a few (okay, 5) degrees warmer on average in July (the hottest month) but it is farrr less humid than Nashville. What we need to find is an average heat index for July instead of average temperature. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find such a thing on the Internetz. Maybe we need to allow more than 17 years for the world's web programmers to deliver the useful information to us?

But anyhoo: Austin is relatively arid, while Nashville is sticky. Nashville is no Houston or Tampa, but sticky it is. Although the temperature would be higher in Austin, I bet you'd sweat as much or more in Nashville whilst walking to your car. THEN AGAIN, what are the odds that you'd actually be at your law school in the summers?

So, then this:
angua wrote:Just try to get summer jobs up north and you'll be fine!

Agreed. New England or the Pacific Northwest are your best bets if you don't want to sweat AT ALL walking to your car in July. :o

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:39 pm

I said 5 above, angua's link actually says 6 (95 vs. 89). The Wikipedia figures from NOAA say 95.0 and 88.7 so let's say 6½. That's really just about enough to make up for any amount of humidity in a heat index, I suppose. Also, I didn't take into account that like most arid places, Austin is actually hotter in August than July. In August, you're looking at 95.6 and 87.8, so a whopping 8 degrees higher in Austin.

Attorney wrote:What we need to find is an average heat index for July instead of average temperature. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find such a thing on the Internetz.

I still can't find this, and by this point am sure that it does not exist. However, I did find these quotes comparing the two cities elsewhere.

Austin is less humid than Nashville, Nashville less humid than where I am, Houston. But be careful about using humidity as a measure of appeal, for the following reasons. Austin in July and August in a normal year gets no or almost no rain, and brother it is hot. The city takes on a brown look, not totally of course, but all over you will see dead herbal matter, like in parks, medians, vacant lots. The trees often start to wilt, further hiding their green.
Nashville's summers are much more tolerable than Austin's. You're regularly pushing 100 in Austin, and it can sometimes be humid on top of it. Nashville is humid, but several degrees (around 6 to 8 ) cooler in the summer (12 to 14 cooler in the winter).

Also? At the end of the day, I feel like Vandy's degree is more mobile than that of Tejas. In case you do ever want to visit the NE or NW or Californ-i-a. :)

angua

Postby angua » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Attorney wrote:Also? At the end of the day, I feel like Vandy's degree is more mobile than that of Tejas. In case you do ever want to visit the NE or NW or Californ-i-a. :)

I think that one might be the clincher. I also tried to find some figure that accounted for the humidity. HOW THE HELL IS THIS NOT ON THE INTARWUBS. It's kind of the only thing I care about when traveling to any part of the South.

But yes... to get back on track, Vandy can take you more places, and more of those places are likely to be less humid. Plus, who wouldn't want to go to a school named after "Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt? That's a pretty badass name.

P.S. I might be biased because I want you to come to the Northeast and party with me.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:02 pm

radio-edit wrote:
angua wrote:
SMA22 wrote:You sound so much more excited about Vandy. Go where your heart takes you.

+1 :)

+2. It has always sounded like you wanted a reason to go there. However, you absolutely need to wait on the decision until after your visit!

Edit: The poll may be close, but everyone who comments says Vandy. Makes me think people who are just voting are just going "durrrr higher ranked school for cheaper"

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 pm

angua wrote:Plus, who wouldn't want to go to a school named after "Commodore" Cornelius Vanderbilt? That's a pretty badass name.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Wait until you visit. In your position I'd probably take Vanderbilt. For one, I've heard from numerous people on these boards with frsthand experience that Vandy's COL estimates (and thus the amount you can take out in loans) are pretty reasonable, while Texas apparently lowballs what you'll need to live on which makes it very difficult to get by.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Vandy. Get out of Austin for a bit; both are great schools so might as well try something new.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

It's interesting that the poll is so close when the comments are all pro-Vandy. Does anyone who voted for UT want to say why?

angua

Postby angua » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 pm

akili wrote:Thanks for all the responses!

It's interesting that the poll is so close when the comments are all pro-Vandy. Does anyone who voted for UT want to say why?

Trolls.

(Also maybe a knee-jerk reaction to US News rankings?)

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

I voted Texas and the reason is that I've got a handful of friends who have gone to Vandy Law recently and they all painted a very grim picture of job prospects. They all told me the same information separately, that they recommend I re-consider law at all, but if I *really* want to study law, to go to the top State school wherever I'd like to practice. For me, that's Texas. And with your ties in state, I'd make the same choice.

I live in the southeast now, grew up in Texas, and the humidity here is a bear. I'm used to being hot, but humidity takes it to another level. You get sweaty twice as fast. At times it feels like you are walking in a sauna, particularly in the summer months. The slightly lower temps do not convey how it really feels compared to Texas heat.

Also, I'm a Texan, so what else do I really need to say?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:06 pm

I think you will really like Vandy. You also know you will like UT. Location should be a factor, but weather, at least in this case, maybe not so much. I know that Texas sees summers of 100-110, but the humidity in Nashville will make it seem just as hot. I know others have discussed this above me, but I don't think avoiding hot summers should be a reason to choose Vandy over UT. In the end, though, if Vandy sets you up somewhere in the New England area, you would probably like the climate there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”