employment in ohio

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chewy

employment in ohio

Postby chewy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

How advantageous in employment is Ohio state over other in state schools such as cincinnati. Worth passing up larger scholarships elsewhere?

crm

Re: employment in ohio

Postby crm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

yes

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:09 pm

There are already too many law schools in Ohio, and more law school grads than jobs. The legal market is pretty insular, so you are better off going to OSU/Case/Cincy than a lower-ranked school or a non-T14 out-of-state school. Cincy is a pretty good deal if you are in-state and are okay working in Southern Ohio.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Case2L wrote:There are already too many law schools in Ohio, and more law school grads than jobs. The legal market is pretty insular, so you are better off going to OSU/Case/Cincy than a lower-ranked school or a non-T14 out-of-state school. Cincy is a pretty good deal if you are in-state and are okay working in Southern Ohio.

Is this true? I'm not familiar with the Ohio legal market, so I'm asking out of curiosity. Provided that one has ties to Ohio, would OSU really be advantageous over a Midwestern or East Coast T14?

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 am

HeavenWood wrote:Is this true? I'm not familiar with the Ohio legal market, so I'm asking out of curiosity. Provided that one has ties to Ohio, would OSU really be advantageous over a Midwestern or East Coast T14?

If you want to work in Ohio after graduation, I think OSU will provide you with more opportunities than similarly-ranked (and slightly higher-ranked) out-of-state schools. If you get into a T14, then by all means you should attend that school, but if it's between OSU and a non-T14 school, I'd go with OSU. OSU is a powerhouse in Ohio.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 am

I have personally had hiring partners tell me that they are willing to recruit the top 5% from Capital where they would look to at least 30%-40% at OSU. I'm sure this holds true, albeit to a lesser degree, with Case and any other Ohio school. With the possible exception of Cincy is southern Ohio.

Barring a T-14 (+Vandy) acceptance OSU is the way to go in Ohio.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”