Will an LLM in Taxation from Florida get noticed by Biglaw?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LoyalRebel

Will an LLM in Taxation from Florida get noticed by Biglaw?

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Florida currently has a top 3 nationally ranked tax LLM program. Will an Accounting undergrad degree, experience as a tax accountant, and a Florida LLM in tax law get me noticed by biglaw if my JD is from a T3 school.

I feel it's necessary to respectfully request that the conversation not drift to the perceived disadvantages of T3 schools.
Last edited by LoyalRebel on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FuManChusco

Re: Will an LLM in Taxation from Florida get noticed by Biglaw?

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm

are you planning on getting a JD?

nice ninja edit.

also, you're doing it backwards.
Last edited by FuManChusco on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Opps! I meant my JD will be from a T3 school.

Original post edited

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:57 pm

TTT? Probably not, unless you have stratospheric grades. General rule is if you're not competitive for biglaw before the LLM, you're not competitive after.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:58 pm

No not really. You already have tax experience and biglaw must have not cared.

Biglaw will take the top x% of kids just like they did from your T3. It could help you get a small firm tax gig I imagine.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 am

0L here, but from what I've gathered your J.D. school matters a lot more for getting Big Law. It's possible the Florida LLM would help (I'm sure it will help, I just don't know if it will make a difference). An LLM from GULC would probably give you a puncher's chance... maybe?

I think the general consensus around here is that getting a job prior to the LLM is best, because then the employer will pay for it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 am

birdlaw117 wrote:0L here, but from what I've gathered your J.D. school matters a lot more for getting Big Law. It's possible the Florida LLM would help (I'm sure it will help, I just don't know if it will make a difference). An LLM from GULC would probably give you a puncher's chance... maybe?

I think the general consensus around here is that getting a job prior to the LLM is best, because then the employer will pay for it.

GULC tax LLM probably won't give you a better fighting chance than UF tax LLM.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 am

rad law wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:0L here, but from what I've gathered your J.D. school matters a lot more for getting Big Law. It's possible the Florida LLM would help (I'm sure it will help, I just don't know if it will make a difference). An LLM from GULC would probably give you a puncher's chance... maybe?

if anything, NYU, and still not really.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 am

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:

FYI, NYU and GULC co-host their tax LLM OCI in DC. I'm aware of someone with a JD from American who did well at this OCI. Not saying it's a good bet, but it definitely can give you a chance at Biglaw. Of course, American isn't T3 and it is also has local ties to DC, which he says helped in the interview process.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 am

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:

Agreed, I was just trying to go one step up rather than going with NYU.

LoyalRebel

Postby LoyalRebel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 am

What are some arguments for getting an LLM?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:17 am

LoyalRebel wrote:What are some arguments for getting an LLM?

I'm guessing a big one would be your employer wants you to have one and is willing to pay for it. In exchange, they will pay you more once you get it.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 am

working in tax law... if you already work for a big firm, they'll probably pay for this and you're basically golden to get into a top 3 program. hence the, he's doing it backwards.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:19 am

FuManChusco wrote:

working in tax law... if you already work for a big firm, they'll probably pay for this and you're basically golden to get into a top 3 program. hence the, he's doing it backwards.

Truth

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am

1. It is beneficial if you want to clerk in a tax court

2. It can serve as a 2nd chance if you were competitive for biglaw but just happened to strike out at OCI

3. It's a good education to have if you're actually interested in tax law

edit: also, obviously, if you're already working in biglaw and a firm pays for you to get it

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:

2. It can serve as a 2nd chance if you were competitive for biglaw but just happened to strike out at OCI

edit: also, obviously, if you're already working in biglaw and a firm pays for you to get it

my question is, are you talking about missing out at biglaw from like NYU/CLS, a Fordham, or Brooklyn/Cardozo? basically can it add any prestige to a lower ranked JD or are you specifically saying it's helpful if you should've gotten a biglaw job but got extremely unlucky?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 am

FuManChusco wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:

my question is, are you talking about missing out at biglaw from like NYU/CLS, a Fordham, or Brooklyn/Cardozo? basically can it add any prestige to a lower ranked JD or are you specifically saying it's helpful if you should've gotten a biglaw job but got extremely unlucky?

I mean, it's hard to speak in absolutes, but much moreso the latter. Kids who finished top 20% of UVA but just happened to bid on all the wrong firms in DC, a Columbia JD who got Latham'd, those are going to be the ones who benefit from a second pseudo-OCI much moreso than the kid who was 40th percentile at Wisconsin but got good grades in all his tax classes and was admitted to Gtown.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:48 am

All this said, I would imagine (though I'm talking out my ass) that a tax LLM would make you very employable. Not necessarily BigLaw, but I would think you'd have good prospects.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 am

Judging by the comments over on http://www.taxtalent.com it's pretty hard to justify buying your own LL.M.(tax). You don't really need it to get the BigLaw job; that depends on your J.D. school and class rank.

Qualifying for and PASSING the CPA exam might be a better use of your financial resources (though this is somewhat controversial). It would certainly be cheaper. A decent M.S.T. might also be worth considering since that degree might be more readily accessible and substantially cheaper than an LL.M. It can even be done online.

I recommend taxtalent strongly. The site is moderated by some of the people who actually do recruitment for the kind of jobs the OP seems to be interested in and they are willing to give specific advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”