GSU/FSU/SC/others

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

GSU (in-state)
19%
FSU (small scholly)
44%
South Carolina (in-state)
13%
Stetson (CoL only)
No votes
Tulane (sticker)
No votes
Wait for UF or UA
25%

Total votes: 16

pinkcamellia

GSU/FSU/SC/others

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:37 pm

So here's the breakdown:

I am impressed by the value at GSU, but I grew up near Atlanta and I'm not a fan of the city. If need be though, I would make it work. I have many legitimate connections in ATL.

FSU has gone out of their way to make me feel wanted, and I love Tally. I'll gain in-state by 2L.

South Carolina has offered in-state equalizer, and being the only not-for-profit school in the state is a plus. However, I've read some terrible things about the state of the building and the program in general.

Stetson is basically a safety. I like Tampa but I am concerned about the job prospects of their grads.

Getting into Tulane was a nice surprise for my cycle, but the cost is making me think it isn't such a hot idea. I like New Orleans a lot.

Then there's Florida and Alabama. I have been on hold at both for some time. I think they will both end up being WLs, but I think I have a shot at UA because I'm a current undergrad. I've heard that UF doesn't remove many applicants from the waitlist. Great connections in Alabama due to summer firm job, etc.

As for what I am interested in - I'm very open. I'd like a little work-life balance, and I realize that I don't have much of a shot at Biglaw from these schools.

TL;DR: Open-minded about location, fairy debt-averse candidate. Want school with best midlaw options.

pinkcamellia

Re: GSU/FSU/SC/others

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

bump - only two votes and no responses.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 pm

I voted wait for UA because its the best school you're looking at and you're instate. But if it came down to your current options I would go with GSU or FSU depending on which you like better after visiting.

USC - Bad market, bad facilities, and perennial TT/TTT.

Tulane - Too expensive.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm going to FSU so I'm probably biased, but if you liked it there, they are giving you decent money, and you want to practice in Florida, it seems like a pretty solid option.

I can totally relate to the feeling of FSU making me feel wanted. The scholarship definitely helped, but the way they reached out to me in a way UF didn't made the decision easier for me.

The courthouse they are getting is badass, too.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:11 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I voted wait for UA because its the best school you're looking at and you're instate. But if it came down to your current options I would go with GSU or FSU depending on which you like better after visiting.

USC - Bad market, bad facilities, and perennial TT/TTT.

Tulane - Too expensive.

I agree, just wanted some good 'ol TLS advice. I'm leaning towards making a deposit at FSU and then seeing how things pan out.

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm going to FSU so I'm probably biased, but if you liked it there, they are giving you decent money, and you want to practice in Florida, it seems like a pretty solid option.

I can totally relate to the feeling of FSU making me feel wanted. The scholarship definitely helped, but the way they reached out to me in a way UF didn't made the decision easier for me.

The courthouse they are getting is badass, too.

The money isn't going to make it a better deal than GSU, but in-state there is rock bottom. I love Tally but I am scared that after living as many places as I have, employers might favor someone who's been in FL longer, while I have friends at firms in ATL.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 am

How good are those connections? If they are legit, then I think you are fine with either GSU or FSU.

Actually, after looking at the rankings, I'm totally behind FSU. For some reason I thought GSU was above them. Wooooo

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am

I voted FSU: You have a desire to be in florida, and its close enough to get you back home. You dont want to go to school in ATL- but you have networks allready there so you can maintain them and network at 2 places at once. FSU instate is cheap, and its the second best school in the state. IF you need more time to decide or ride teh WL train- put a deposit down at FSU and wait and see. However, if you dont hear back by the second deposit- plan on matriculating htere. If you get into alabama then thats a good option, but for now i would consider it not an option( but if you want ot ride the wl for a bit longer, give it a whirl) Be sure to visit the schools and see how you fit in, if you havent done so allready. I found this to be very important in my own decision making process, in addition to your pro and cons list for each school. Finances are important, so that should be a consideration, but you need to be comfortable at wherever you end up. hope this helps

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:How good are those connections? If they are legit, then I think you are fine with either GSU or FSU.

Actually, after looking at the rankings, I'm totally behind FSU. For some reason I thought GSU was above them. Wooooo

The connections are legit - I'm just worried about competing with Emory, UGA, and T14s that favor ATL.

northwood wrote:I voted FSU: You have a desire to be in florida, and its close enough to get you back home. You dont want to go to school in ATL- but you have networks allready there so you can maintain them and network at 2 places at once. FSU instate is cheap, and its the second best school in the state. IF you need more time to decide or ride teh WL train- put a deposit down at FSU and wait and see. However, if you dont hear back by the second deposit- plan on matriculating htere. If you get into alabama then thats a good option, but for now i would consider it not an option( but if you want ot ride the wl for a bit longer, give it a whirl) Be sure to visit the schools and see how you fit in, if you havent done so allready. I found this to be very important in my own decision making process, in addition to your pro and cons list for each school. Finances are important, so that should be a consideration, but you need to be comfortable at wherever you end up. hope this helps

Thanks Northwood. :) That's really helpful advice.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:29 am

Northwood killed it, good job...

Also: If you go to GSU, you'll have a good shot at Atlanta, but that pretty much shuts out Florida.

With FSU/UF, the state of Florida is pretty available to you, plus you can always use your connects to ATL should you want to practice there.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:34 am

pinkcamellia wrote:"Thanks Northwood. :) That's really helpful advice.

glad to help!! :D :D :D sorry about my horrendous typing skills. let me know how it all turns out!!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”