Penn State vs. Temple vs. Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigkahuna2020

Re: Penn State vs. Temple vs. Villanova

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:44 pm

jwjbaek wrote:
phillaw wrote:As for quality of life, Temple beats Villanova and PSU. You just live in center city/university city/fairmount and take the subway to school. You never go more than 100 yards on Temple campus because the law school is next to the subway. If you live at Villanova or PSU, you have to drive or take a longer train ride to go anywhere enjoyable on the weekends. At Temple, you live where you want to hang out on the weekends.

What are these areas like? (Center City/University City/Fairmount) Can someone tell me what these areas are like? Maybe some pros/cons? I have no idea where I should live... I guess somewhere safe and clean for around $1500/month.

If you are talking rent you can spend SIGNIFICANTLY less (especially with rommates) in Philly and live in a nice area

jwjbaek

Postby jwjbaek » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Apparently, I suck at searching for apartments. lol

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:13 pm

jwjbaek wrote:Apparently, I suck at searching for apartments. lol

Even in Center City, you can find studios for ~1200 a month. If you share an apartment in the University area near UPenn you can easily keep your rent and bills to 700 or so.

usmcjag

Postby usmcjag » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 am

Agreed, Philly is cheap. Fairmount is where people who are new to Philly live, but its not bad. The southern end of center city is also nice, and not too expensive south of spruce, but be careful looking farther south than washington ave. it gets spotty.

jwjbaek

Postby jwjbaek » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 pm

usmcjag wrote:Agreed, Philly is cheap. Fairmount is where people who are new to Philly live, but its not bad. The southern end of center city is also nice, and not too expensive south of spruce, but be careful looking farther south than washington ave. it gets spotty.

North Broad St./ Wallace St. - I think this is Center City, but is this a safe area?

Thanks! :shock:

usmcjag

Postby usmcjag » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 am

Yea, Broad and Wallace is nice, you're looking at the 640 Lofts I take it? Yes, those are very nice, Ive had friends who have lived there and liked it. Definitely a good choice. Plus, the italian restaurant on the first floor is one of the best in the city.

PennStateBoy

Postby PennStateBoy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm also trying to decide between Temple and Villanova. I have a large scholarship to Villanova and also a scholarship to temple so overall the prices are not that far off, but temple still comes out to be a little cheaper. The thing that I have been thinking about is that the 163 LSAT average at Temple is significantly higher then the recently announced 160 at Nova. So if they have basically the same placement rates at big firms, do you think that it would be easier to succeed at Villanova because of less competition. Just an idea, let me know your thoughts.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 pm

jwjbaek wrote:How's the neighborhood in Temple btw?

This song directly answers that question for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAX2JepcIv8

But your best choice is Temple. You have a scholly there and it's a solid school. I visited the campus and loved it.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 pm

PennStateBoy wrote:I'm also trying to decide between Temple and Villanova. I have a large scholarship to Villanova and also a scholarship to temple so overall the prices are not that far off, but temple still comes out to be a little cheaper. The thing that I have been thinking about is that the 163 LSAT average at Temple is significantly higher then the recently announced 160 at Nova. So if they have basically the same placement rates at big firms, do you think that it would be easier to succeed at Villanova because of less competition. Just an idea, let me know your thoughts.

Go to Temple. Villanova is in some shitty place way outside of town, and Temple alums seems to own the DA and PD offices.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 am

johnnyutah wrote:
PennStateBoy wrote:I'm also trying to decide between Temple and Villanova. I have a large scholarship to Villanova and also a scholarship to temple so overall the prices are not that far off, but temple still comes out to be a little cheaper. The thing that I have been thinking about is that the 163 LSAT average at Temple is significantly higher then the recently announced 160 at Nova. So if they have basically the same placement rates at big firms, do you think that it would be easier to succeed at Villanova because of less competition. Just an idea, let me know your thoughts.

Go to Temple. Villanova is in some shitty place way outside of town, and Temple alums seems to own the DA and PD offices.

And how do you know this isn't because of self-selection? Last time I checked, all available employment statistics indicate that it's a wash. I agree, as a young twenty-something, I'd rather live in Center City than a ritzy suburb, but as far as job placement goes, there's very little difference. Pick the one you like more.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 am

Temple. Minimize your debt as much as you can. Philly employment prospects from Villanova and Temple are pretty even.

harrison_chrysler

Postby harrison_chrysler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 am

HeavenWood wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

And how do you know this isn't because of self-selection? Last time I checked, all available employment statistics indicate that it's a wash. I agree, as a young twenty-something, I'd rather live in Center City than a ritzy suburb, but as far as job placement goes, there's very little difference. Pick the one you like more.

FWIW, while biglaw prospects have historically been virtually identical from Temple and Villanova (though past results do not guarantee future performance, esp. if Nova enrolls weaker students and loses its better faculty going forward - YMMV), the most recent class of new hires at the Philly DA's office were dominated by Temple JDs (7 out of 11); this one-sidedness towards Temple is actually pretty typical in recent years. It's admittedly a little odd, given that Seth Williams adjuncts at both schools. This is worth considering for those interested in prosecution or criminal defense (ADA is a trad. path to crim defense). Could be self-selection of course, or could be Temple alums in the DA office favoring Temple hiring.

If you think you will only be happy in biglaw (ironically, virtually no one is once they get there), you probably should avoid all 3 of the schools you're choosing from.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”