In @ WUSTL now with $ or ED @ NU in 2-3 years?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Youppi315

In @ WUSTL now with $ or ED @ NU in 2-3 years?

Postby Youppi315 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Splitter numbers (2.85, 170). No WE now but I could probably substitute teach or LSAT tutor and consult. Anyway, do I take WUSTL with the money (not a lot but some) now or try for NU later (ED)? The thing is, of course, I wouldn't be getting any money from Northwestern.

Preference to work in Chicago after graduation.

patrickd139

Re: In @ WUSTL now with $ or ED @ NU in 2-3 years?

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Get WE, Apply ED to NU, ?????, Profit.

You want to work in Chicago. IIRC, WUSTL claims to place only around 16% of its graduates in East North Central US (Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio). Even assuming the entire 16% went to Chicago (an absurd assumption in its own right), that's not a very high likelihood of landing Chicago, much less Chicago biglaw if that's what you're after.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:23 pm

WUSTL with minimal money sounds awful. It seems like you are probably right out of college so if I were you I think it is definitely worth it to take some time off. Note that NU is going to want full time work experience and 2 years (counted up until matriculation) should do. I'd also retake and get a 172+.

So yeah, I would go the NU route assuming you can do slightly better on the LSAT and you can accumulate 2 years full time w/e.

enron123

Postby enron123 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:27 pm

This question doesn't make sense. You probably aren't getting int Northwestern without stellar work experience/improved lsat neither of which is a guarantee.

Relevant questions include what was you practice test average? What are your job prospects / where do you work?

You can run from your GPA but it doesn't just disappear (I know)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:34 pm

enron123 wrote:This question doesn't make sense. You probably aren't getting int Northwestern without stellar work experience/improved lsat neither of which is a guarantee.

Relevant questions include what was you practice test average? What are your job prospects / where do you work?

You can run from your GPA but it doesn't just disappear (I know)

This.

You probably aren't getting into NW without a better score on a retake.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm in the exact same situation with a worse GPA. I'm basically positive I'm attending WUSTL next year. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding a decent job, and 170 just isn't going to cut it at NU. That means a retake is necessary. While I think I can pull off 172+ I'm not willing to put all of my eggs in that basket. I'm not sure I can turn down what might be my best case scenario for LS, WUSTL with $$, to take a wild shot in the dark at NU. It makes sense for some people. If I had a steady, well paying job, or was averaging higher than a 173 on my PTs, then I might go this root, but I'm nervous I'll have worse options and a lost year if I take the risk. You also have a higher GPA than me, might be significantly better than a 170 normally, and I'm assuming you got less money since you used one $. So, I don't really know what to say.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”