University of Maine or Gonzaga?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PartyLikeALawStar

University of Maine or Gonzaga?

Postby PartyLikeALawStar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:40 pm

So this last week I got into Gonzaga and the University of Maine. They are obviously on polar opposite sides of the U.S. I grew up in Oregon and think eventually I would like to end up back in the Pacific Northwest, but I also think it would be cool to live on the East Coast for a little bit. Neither of these schools are ranked super high (they both usually fall between 90 and 100), so I know that regional job lock is probably a reality for my first job out of college. Anybody have any insight into these two schools? Any pros and cons could help, neither one stands out in a big way.

Thanks

thedive

Re: University of Maine or Gonzaga?

Postby thedive » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Are you paying sticker? I would choose Maine if you want Maine, but if you want to end up back in the Pacific NW(Eastern Washington) go with Gonzaga. I wouldn't take Gonzaga at anything close to sticker and wouldn't pay OOS for Maine. Maine does however have the benefit of being the only law school in the state.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 pm

yea i was going to say Maine b/c it is the only law school in the state so your chances of getting a job wouldn't be horrible but you'd have to accept living in Maine, I don't know much about Gonzaga but I'd have to imagine it's overshadowed by U Washington in a region that has a small and selective market

PartyLikeALawStar

Postby PartyLikeALawStar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm expecting about 10K off the top for Gonzaga. My ex girlfriend got in there and got a decent scholarship and I have a considerably better GPA and a better LSAT score than her. I still need to get the financial aid packages from both of them though. Does anyone know the feasibility of working in Maine for a couple years and then being able to find a job in the Pacific Northwest? Is that a pretty common move. I would be ok with being there for a couple years after graduating.

thedive

Postby thedive » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:50 pm

The hardest part about moving back with a degree from Maine would be that their alumni network in the PNW would be non-existent. If you want to move back to an area you are originally from that might help some as it shows you have ties to the region but I'm not really sure.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Emphatically Gonzaga. Both are extremely regional schools, and Maine is literally across the country from the region you want to work in after graduation. Further, Maine pretty much feeds the state and smaller NE towns closeby, with intense competition from other NE schools (BC, BU, VLS, etc.). Moreover, Portland (your best shot at midlaw as a Maine law grad) is a very, very insulated market that has (anecdotally) been tough to break into without significant ties. I seriously doubt your ability to overcome the flight-risk you'll pose to firms in NE.

Since you're expecting money from Gonzaga, go there if you can't retake and reapply next year. Just beware of scholarship stipulations.

PartyLikeALawStar

Postby PartyLikeALawStar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 pm

The toughest part of the decision is I can re-take and re-apply next year. Part of the decision is trying to decide if either of these schools is worth it right now.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 pm

PartyLikeALawStar wrote:The toughest part of the decision is I can re-take and re-apply next year. Part of the decision is trying to decide if either of these schools is worth it right now.

They're not. Retake. Reapply. ????? Profit.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 pm

If you can retake, then reatke. Otherwise I guess Zaga unless you are willing to live in Maine.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Maine is going to be a good choice for that state, Portland ME isn't a bad city either.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:Maine is going to be a good choice for that state, Portland ME isn't a bad city either.

Both excellent points. OP, however, is not even from that side of the country, much less Maine or Portland. My suspicion is that being from the latter two are what land you a comfortable job in Maine.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd do Maine but that's only because I love lobster.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:54 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I'd do Maine but that's only because I love lobster.

I'd do NYC, but that's only because a love Broadway plays.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Rather have the lobster. Never was much good at sitting in the dark.

thedive

Postby thedive » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:45 am

Generally how much do markets in regions such as Maine care whether you have previous ties to the region? Wouldn't employers at mid-law(or the larger firms in the area) think that by choosing the only law school in a state, which is known to be regional, that you want to stay in that region and establish a career there?

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:45 am

PartyLikeALawStar wrote:So this last week I got into Gonzaga and the University of Maine. They are obviously on polar opposite sides of the U.S. I grew up in Oregon and think eventually I would like to end up back in the Pacific Northwest, but I also think it would be cool to live on the East Coast for a little bit. Neither of these schools are ranked super high (they both usually fall between 90 and 100), so I know that regional job lock is probably a reality for my first job out of college. Anybody have any insight into these two schools? Any pros and cons could help, neither one stands out in a big way.

Thanks

These are two of the most extreme polar opposite regional schools I can think of. Literally. I can't name 2 schools that are more regionally isolated from each other.

First things first: have you ever been to Maine? Technically yes, it is on the east coast.. but when someone say's "east coast", my first thought is not Maine. Definitely give the school, and the state, a visit before you dig yourself into a hole of only being able to find employment for the rest of your life in a place you've never been to.

Consider taking a year off and reapplying, unless you feel you'll be truly comfortable at one of these schools.. and in that case don't let anyone on TLS talk you out of it. Though, they'll do their best. Figure out where you want to live and go with it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”