Given this situation, which school is the best option?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School is the best option given the situation

George Washington
42%
St. John's
8%
Seton Hall
No votes
Fordham
17%
Villanova
8%
Boston University
25%

Total votes: 12

HGale

Given this situation, which school is the best option?

Postby HGale » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey everyone,

For the last several months I have been hearing back from schools that I applied, attending accepted students days and heavily researching the potential law schools I could be attending this spring. Despite this, I am still struggling to make a decision on a school and was hoping some of the very knowledgeable forum members could perhaps offer some guidance with selecting a school. It is important to note that I am not looking to practice law in the private sector, but rather, am looking to work in government. Due to this I do not expect to be making the salary that those in the private sector do and as such loans could be tremendously difficult for me to manage in the future. Below are the schools that I am still heavily considering with a brief explanation of why I am considering attending each. There are three major areas that are factoring into my decision: The school's reputation and ranking, the school's location and the amount of financial assistance / scholarships that are being offered.

George Washington University: GW is not offering any money towards tuition. Despite this, I still am heavily considering GW because of its location (being that I want to work in government) and because I feel that academically it is the best of the schools I was accepted to. In addition, GW holds a reputation that many of the other schools that I am considering do not.

St. John's University: This is the frontrunner for me so far. They are offering full tuition as long as I remain in the top 40% of the class. The scholarship is structured in a way that the amount of money offered scales down incrementally based on class rank. Furthermore, being that I live in NJ the fact that St. John's is only an hour from home is very convenient. Although I have no intentions of commuting I like the idea of being able to get home with little difficulty.
Seton Hall: SH offered 35,000 a year as long as I remain in the top 50% of the class. This offer does not scale down based on rank, but if I was to fall below the 50% mark I would lose the scholarship. Like St. John's, SH is not far from home either .

Villanova: Villanova offered about half the cost tuition each year if I was to keep a 3.15 GPA. Although they are not offering as much money I like the fact that maintaining the offer is based on GPA and not class rank.

Boston University: Like GW, BU is not offering much money towards tuition. However, I still am considering BU because I like what the school has to offer. Also, I spent my undergraduate years in Boston and loved the city and am familiar with the area.

Fordham University: Fordham is not offering any assistance with tuition. I like Fordham a lot. Fordham has a good reputation and of the New York schools it is the highest rated one that I was accepted to. I know several alumni who enjoyed their time at Fordham immensely and believe it would be a good fit for me. Also, being that it is located in NY it would not be far from home.

Any information, input or advice anyone could give me would be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated. Of course, in the end, I know this is a decision I have to really make on my own, but any guidance that can be given is always beneficial. Thanks for taking the time to read through this and thanks for any help you can give.
Last edited by HGale on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cool of law

Re: Given this situation, which school is the best option?

Postby cool of law » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:59 pm

How are you planning on paying for school? Or rather, are you extremely debt averse?

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Be careful with stipulations like SJU's. From my knowledge many of those schools stack sections in such a way that you are placed with everyone who has a scholarship to keep and thanks to the curve more than a few lose them. I would choose Seton Hall before St. John's. I think it's more between Seton and GW.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:03 pm

TL;DR

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:08 pm

BigBlueLaw wrote:Be careful with stipulations like SJU's. From my knowledge many of those schools stack sections in such a way that you are placed with everyone who has a scholarship to keep and thanks to the curve more than a few lose them. I would choose Seton Hall before St. John's. I think it's more between Seton and GW.

I feel like SJU might be somewhat risky, it seems like Seton is a better deal, personally though and people may disagree if you are looking for the best school i think BU > GW, Fordham, just b/c it is basically the best school (not counting H) in a very insulated market and i'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to land a public sector job in Boston/MA from there so I would definitely consider that, but I guess Seton would prolly give you some good opportunites in NJ w/ less cost

edit: you might want to make a poll

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:12 pm

You are up a creek my friend.

HGale

Postby HGale » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Wow, thanks for the input guys, I have found everyone's thoughts quite insightful and really appreciate you posting them.

As for section stacking at SJ: I have heard this rumor as well and have not overlooked that possibility.

As for the question about whether I am extremely adverse to debt; I would probably say no more so than most of others. I will be paying for school (except housing) and I would really prefer to have as little as I could (Who wouldn't), however, it is not the determining factor in my decision, although it certainly will exercise some influence on it.

Good idea to set this up as a poll and will do that now.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:57 pm

If you are deadest on working for the government, you would qualify for IBR. I would probably go with BU or GW if you are sure that is what you want to do after law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”