Michigan State vs. Syracuse vs. Rutgers - Newark Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mrtoren

Silver

Michigan State vs. Syracuse vs. Rutgers - Newark

Post by mrtoren » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:35 pm

I've got a 158 and an LSAC GPA of 3.22. Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance!

legendkiller

New

Re: Michigan State vs. Syracuse vs. Rutgers - Newark

Post by legendkiller » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Need more info

Scholarships?
In state at any (Rutgers??)
Etc

Career Goals?
COA?
etc

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Here's the deal:

State is a school that doesn't put a lot of emphasis on their law school until late. They get destroyed by U of Mich and Wayne State within the state of MI (I'm a Michigander). In my opinion, the ONLY reason to go to state is if you want in-state-pricing within the state of Michigan but don't want to practice in MI. You can place in the top 10-20% of your class and get out because everyone in America knows who Tom Izzo is (google machine if you don't).

Syracuse if kind of the same... not a fantastic school surrounded by God's gift to law schools on the east coast. Your competition: a few schools called NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Penn, etc. No big deal.

Rutgers is a good place to get killed.

With a 158, your best shot is to find a market that you will have little competition. Indiana-Indianapolis would be a good choice. So would any of the Ohio schools in their respective cities (Case, Cinci, Toledo, Clev Marshall, etc.).

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:30 pm

However, if those are your only options: stay away from Michigan State and go to Rutgers or Syracuse.

Ha, both good schools that put emphasis on their law programs in a great way. Just be sure to work hard there and place up in your class. You'll get a solid job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:32 pm

BruceBarr wrote:Here's the deal:

State is a school that doesn't put a lot of emphasis on their law school until late. They get destroyed by U of Mich and Wayne State within the state of MI (I'm a Michigander). In my opinion, the ONLY reason to go to state is if you want in-state-pricing within the state of Michigan but don't want to practice in MI. You can place in the top 10-20% of your class and get out because everyone in America knows who Tom Izzo is (google machine if you don't).

Syracuse if kind of the same... not a fantastic school surrounded by God's gift to law schools on the east coast. Your competition: a few schools called NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Penn, etc. No big deal.

With a 158, your best shot is to find a market that you will have little competition. Indiana-Indianapolis would be a good choice. So would any of the Ohio schools in their respective cities (Case, Cinci, Toledo, Clev Marshall, etc.).

The section of Newark Rutgers is located in (University Heights) is actually pretty safe.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 pm

get it to x wrote:

The section of Newark Rutgers is located in (University Heights) is actually pretty safe.
Hey X, since you're online, let me ask you a question. I was out in Newark today; I did the drive from Hoboken to Newark this morning, just to get a feel for the commute. How bad is traffic between the two locations on the weekdays?

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Justathought wrote:
get it to x wrote:

Hey X, since you're online, let me ask you a question. I was out in Newark today; I did the drive from Hoboken to Newark this morning, just to get a feel for the commute. How bad is traffic between the two locations on the weekdays?

I'd say normal NY metro area traffic akin to the BQE/Belt/Bronx River Parkway. Can't cut it close if you're going to be driving. People do arrive late to class sometimes because of traffic. Time-allotment is key.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:39 pm

get it to x wrote:
Justathought wrote:
get it to x wrote:

I'd say normal NY metro area traffic akin to the BQE/Belt/Bronx River Parkway. Can't cut it close if you're going to be driving. People do arrive late to class sometimes because of traffic. Time-allotment is key.
That's what I figured. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:46 pm

BruceBarr wrote:However, if those are your only options: stay away from Michigan State and go to Rutgers or Syracuse.

Ha, both good schools that put emphasis on their law programs in a great way. Just be sure to work hard there and place up in your class. You'll get a solid job.
don't listen to this guy, MSU has put a great emphasis on their law school recently and it is on the rise. And lol at them getting destroyed by Wayne

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:57 pm

chalhou1 wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:However, if those are your only options: stay away from Michigan State and go to Rutgers or Syracuse.

don't listen to this guy, MSU has put a great emphasis on their law school recently and it is on the rise. And lol at them getting destroyed by Wayne
This kid probably goes to Michigan State. I don't. Nor do I go to Wayne. Nor do I go to Michigan.

Lets just clear this up: Until 5 days ago, every big ten school had a top 100 law school with two exceptions: MSU and Purdue. MSU has had a law school since 1891 (previously known as Detroit College of Law). If a Big Ten school puts emphasisinto their law school: they make the top 100. Why? Cause all it takes to be in the top hundred is time and money. They've had 100+ years... so where did they go wrong? You decide what took them over a 100 years to grace us with their presence in the top 100.

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:01 pm

You keep proving that you have no idea what you're talking about. MSU took over the detroit college of law in 1995, it takes time to develop a reputable school, especially since the Detroit college of law was mediocre. Also you say that students can leave the state because of Izzo. That is funny, since it usually only places in Michigan and ocassionaly Illinois

I'm a 0L who was offered a full ride to both Wayne and MSU, it is just hilarious how wrong you are.
Last edited by chalhou1 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voltage88

Bronze

Post by voltage88 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm

MSU law isn't a public law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm

OP, two questions:
1) Where do you want to live and work after law school?
Michigan - MSU
Upstate NY - Syracuse
North NJ - Rutgers

If you want to work anywhere besides these places, do NOT go to these schools.

2) How much $$ did you get at each school? Are there any stipulations on the scholarships?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:12 pm

chalhou1 wrote:You keep proving that you have no idea what you're talking about. MSU took over the detroit college of law in 1995, it takes time to develop a reputable school, especially since the Detroit college of law was mediocre. Also you say that students can leave the state because of Izzo. That is funny, since it usually only places in Michigan and ocassionaly Illinois

I'm a 0L who was offered a full ride to both Wayne and MSU, it is just hilarious how wrong you are.

Is it hilarious? Ok, good then. As long as it's funny. I won't argue with you because I'm a real law student who goes to a real law school who argues enough as is. That said, I hope you go to MSU on that full ride.

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah Penn State is a super duper real law school! I guess you didn't take your own advice?

With a 158, your best shot is to find a market that you will have little competition.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Yeah Penn State is a super duper real law school! I guess you didn't take your own advice?

With a 158, your best shot is to find a market that you will have little competition.
You applied to Wayne? Why are you calling me out in any way?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Ha, and besdies: If you're reading the Penn State forums it means you're interested. Hope you make it out here. I'd love to meet.

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Because you are giving out wrong information? You also act like a douche who goes to a top law school, when you go to Penn State.

and before you try to take jabs, I've been accepted to the super prestigious Penn State!

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:31 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Because you are giving out wrong information? You also act like a douche who goes to a top law school, when you go to Penn State.

and before you try to take jabs, I've been accepted to the super prestigious Penn State!
I would say it's hard for me act like I go to an elite school when I openly talk about where I got to school and who I am. Shit, you can plug my username in facebook and even see my smiling face. I'm not taking jabs at all. If you got a full ride to Wayne it probably means you got in to Penn State at cost. Congrats?

Go where you get a full ride, but if not, feel free to come to Penn State and I'll buy you a drink, even though with your stellar attitude I'm sure you'll have no issues making friends.

Oh, and while you're at it: fuck yourself. Michigan State sucks.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Newark is not that bad, especially around University Heights. It is certainly a far better place than Detroit (and a short ride to NYC or Hoboken)

That being said---it is only worth it at instate tuition

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Justathought wrote:
get it to x wrote:

Terrible---TAKE THE LIGHT RAIL!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson%E2% ... Light_Rail

And it's only 1.50 one way, very clean and nice, and a great place to read

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:41 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
get it to x wrote:

Terrible---TAKE THE LIGHT RAIL!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson%E2% ... Light_Rail

And it's only 1.50 one way, very clean and nice, and a great place to read
That's actually what I wanted to do, but I've heard of people (including students) being mugged at the train stop. I'm actually somewhat concerned about this, since I imagine a lot of late nights at the library.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Which train stop? I found the one on Broad street quite safe (near the Rutgers Business School) but I've never been there past 9pm. I mean, I suppose, but I'm not someone who studies at the school library alot

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:51 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Which train stop? I found the one on Broad street quite safe (near the Rutgers Business School) but I've never been there past 9pm. I mean, I suppose, but I'm not someone who studies at the school library alot
I couldn't say which one. A few weeks ago, my student tour guide said something along the lines of - "The area around the school is safe, and the campus keeps students updated about crime. Most muggings seem to happen at the train station when people are waiting for the train, and there was one student who was mugged last year."

After that I gave up on the train and started thinking about the horror of driving from Hoboken, and what that would entail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”