. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

No votes
No votes

Total votes: 0

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Last edited by TheFactor on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheFactor

Silver

Re: Wake v. Vandy v. GW

Post by TheFactor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:16 pm

shameless bump

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:38 pm

i would cross wake off your list

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:58 pm

The way I look at it:

GW is worth 30k more than Wake.

Vandy is worth 41k more than GW.

Therefore, Vandy.

edit: fwiw, I'll probably be happily going to GW with the 106k.
edit2: less words

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:13 am

I'll bite.

I would take GW off your list, if I were you. I don't even know how good of a school Wake is exactly, but I do know that a lot of NC firms hire Wake people. If it was me, the question would be: do I want to go to Wake, where I will have less debt but still the ability to get hired in NC, or do I want to go to Vandy, where I will have more debt but the ability to get interviews with a lower GPA? (Since you are a NC native, I would expect you to get interviews with NC firms at Vandy's OCI with a halfway decent GPA.)

I don't feel qualified to make these kinds of decisions for other people, but it comes down to what you are most comfortable with. There is no "right" answer. I'd love to see you at Vandy, but I'm not going to tell you not to go wherever you want to go.

FWIW, though, I would go ahead and forget about Cornell. Too expensive, and I don't see any real benefit over Vandy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Vandy. Given your career goals, it's well worth the extra cost over the other two schools.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Leaning toward Vandy at this point. Hopefully, my decision will be made easier after I visit in April. Obviously, this decision is about finding somewhat of a happy medium between debt and job prospects.

I do have another question, and would be especially interested to get drylo/rad's opinion on this. Is the general consensus that Vandy at that price is a pretty safe investment, even ITE? Is there a price at which any of you would recommend Wake over Vandy? I know the answers to these questions are quite subjective, but given my career goals, what do you think?

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:09 pm

TheFactor wrote:Thanks for the input guys!

Leaning toward Vandy at this point. Hopefully, my decision will be made easier after I visit in April. Obviously, this decision is about finding somewhat of a happy medium between debt and job prospects.

I do have another question, and would be especially interested to get drylo/rad's opinion on this. Is the general consensus that Vandy at that price is a pretty safe investment, even ITE? Is there a price at which any of you would recommend Wake over Vandy? I know the answers to these questions are quite subjective, but given my career goals, what do you think?
Well, some preliminary thoughts... if you are getting $20k/year at Vandy, that's close to half tuition. So you would be paying approximately $24k/year plus books and living expenses. Certainly not everybody, but the majority of people who want firm jobs will get them 2L summer (and some will get paying jobs 1L summer). Even in a secondary market, you could make enough to almost cover a year of tuition at that price (depending on how many weeks the summer program(s) is (are))--in NYC, you could make $30k.

Really, it's a judgment call for you to make. Lot's of people go to Vandy with less of a scholarship than that. Some turn it down for a higher scholarship elsewhere. All I can say for sure is that it's definitely a safe investment if you do well 1L year. Beyond that, there are no guarantees, and the worst case scenario of graduating last in the class with that much debt would be no fun, but you probably aren't going to be the worst case scenario.
Last edited by drylo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:11 pm

If you want to clerk, Vander-cize it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”