USC vs. Others

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flexityflex86

USC vs. Others

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:15 am

Just got into USC two seconds ago - don't know about any $ yet, but what would it take you to take USC over these options if you love America and could be happy anywhere, but really, really, really, really love LA and had been a screenwriter/filmmaker since you were a little kid, but gave up that dream for stability:

ND: 60K
MN: 60K
EMORY: 60K
IU: B: 120K

Danteshek

Re: USC vs. Others

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:16 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Just got into USC two seconds ago - don't know about any $ yet, but what would it take you to take USC over these options if you love America and could be happy anywhere, but really, really, really, really love LA and had been a screenwriter/filmmaker since you were a little kid, but gave up that dream for stability:

ND: 60K
MN: 60K
EMORY: 60K
IU: B: 120K

Take a deep breath. You cannot seriously be considering these other options given your ties to Los Angeles. Go to USC.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:20 am

I've never even been to LA. never had the $ to venture out there. it's just a place people my entire life told me i belonged, but i am debt adverse so it is still a question.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:24 am

flexityflex86 wrote:if you love America and could be happy anywhere

Lolz. I love America, but I would not be happy in some places
Any state that Bush won

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:25 am

who cares man? mountain dew, hot girls who speak english, the dollar menu!!!!

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 am

flexityflex86 wrote:I've never even been to LA. never had the $ to venture out there. it's just a place people my entire life told me i belonged, but i am debt adverse so it is still a question.

Oh. In that case go to the school that is located closest to where you are right now.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 am

Danteshek wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:I've never even been to LA. never had the $ to venture out there. it's just a place people my entire life told me i belonged, but i am debt adverse so it is still a question.

Oh. In that case go to the school that is located closest to where you are right now.

I don't like it here. I like hot weather.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:31 am

Ok. Then USC. Have fun hitting on the undergrads. I highly recommend it.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:35 am

I'm from a faith that norm marries into the faith. I've hit on UG's before, but I'll prob meet my wife at an engagement party or through hillel. I'm not a very religious person, but I possess a strong case of the Jew-guilt.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:39 am

flexityflex86 wrote:I'm from a faith that norm marries into the faith. I've hit on UG's before, but I'll prob meet my wife at an engagement party or through hillel. I'm not a very religious person, but I possess a strong case of the Jew-guilt.

Perfect. Tons of Jews at any good law school. But I would recommend hitting on the undergrad Jews.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:40 am

you cant really, really, really, really love a place you've never been to. Go visit USC and check it out first

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:46 am

i will do that, but is the added prestige from USC significantly greater than ND, MN, Emory, IU: B.

i know the lingo is what region, and that's true - all non t-14's are pretty regional, but what if i could be happy in any region as long as i had a good job that can make me enough $ to live a comfy life.

dukey

Postby dukey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:06 am

negotiate aid at ND and MN - prolly able to get 15 - 20k more. IUB seems to have gotten a push in the last 3 years, but ND & MN have a greater lay prestige.

USC's rep across the nation isn't very good; it's mostly a regional school. So if you're keen on LA, USC would be your best bet. But having a 75 - 80k scholarship really makes a difference (paying it back with interest over the years).

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for ND/MN $$ and trust my existing ties with LA to get a job there. Firms will interview you assuming that you have solid connections (which you've mentioned? sorta? your grammar's a bit off so I can't understand fully..no offense)

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:25 am

He doesnt' have ties to LA. He wants to have ties to la.

You need to visit USC. LA is definitely not for everyone. The glitz and glamor that people make it out to be is quickly forgotten when all the bad things about LA become apparent. I love the great things about LA and absolutely hate the bad things. To make any kind of informed decision about this you have to come visit.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 am

Curry wrote:He doesnt' have ties to LA. He wants to have ties to la.

You need to visit USC. LA is definitely not for everyone. The glitz and glamor that people make it out to be is quickly forgotten when all the bad things about LA become apparent. I love the great things about LA and absolutely hate the bad things. To make any kind of informed decision about this you have to come visit.

^^ this. Though tbh you really aren't gonna get that great of a sense of LA just from a weekend or whatever there. I did a month-long summer program at USC before senior year of high school and I'm not positive I got a full feeling for what LA's all about. I suppose I can say from that experience that tales of USC's "ghetto" neighborhood are pretty overblown though.

Also, congrats! I just got into USC just a couple hours ago too :)

dukey

Postby dukey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:36 am

Curry wrote:He doesnt' have ties to LA. He wants to have ties to la.

Oh well, in that case, yeah...visit USC :) I've heard mixed responses from friends.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”