Decision Time: Duke, Georgetown or Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ascher86

Decision Time: Duke, Georgetown or Cornell?

Postby Ascher86 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 pm

So unless something miraculous happens and I get into Columbia or NYU, these are my top choices. Almost definitely not interested in Biglaw unless I can work abroad, preferably in China (I translate Chinese novels for a minimum wage living). Not sure what I want to specialize in, was leaning towards Georgetown for the International Law stuff and seemingly wide range of strengths, but it has that huge class size and I'm not sure its reputation can compare to Duke or Cornell's. I live in New Orleans now (originally from Western Massachusetts), so I don't mind living in the South, but I've heard Durham is none too exciting. I visited friends at Ithaca a while back and it was beautiful, but I've heard the best time of year is the summer, when unfortunately we'll all be off slaving away in some other city/country then.

I'm going to visit Duke and Georgetown in April, and possibly Cornell again (but take a real law school tour this time), but as of right now I really have no idea. I'm leaning towards Duke, but for no other reason than because of its ranking, name recognition, job placement stats and the isolation of Cornell and size of Georgetown...though I do think I'd like living in D.C.

So what do you folks think, my ears are open to any and all suggestions. (Scholarships not a factor in this discussion).

Thanks in advance.

:mrgreen:

fatduck

Re: Decision Time: Duke, Georgetown or Cornell?

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Cornell if you want NYC, otherwise Duke

Ascher86

Postby Ascher86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Anyone else?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:58 pm

I like Cornell alot, but probably would have gone to Duke if $ were the same. So Duke barring a money difference or other strong consideration in the other direction. For me it would be between those too unless you love D.C., need to work there etc. Really, all are peer schools so go where you will be the most comfortable.

StickyIcky

Postby StickyIcky » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 pm

I am in the exact same situation. I dreamed of Columbia/NYU, but realize that it probably aint happening and am now choosing between Cornell, Duke, and GULC.

Duke is leading for me right now, and what you said here:

I'm leaning towards Duke, but for no other reason than because of its ranking, name recognition, job placement stats and the isolation of Cornell and size of Georgetown...though I do think I'd like living in D.C.

is exactly what I'm thinking. It's weird how close our situations are.

Please keep me updated on your thought process and decisions.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:49 pm

what fatduck said

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm

I'd do Cornell. But I think between those schools it's just a personal choice.

edit: read money is not a factor.
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Duke.. I want to get into GULC and Cornell

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Duke or Cornell, better prospects and lower CoL at each, especially since you are not interested in BigLaw.

Law school is only three years long. Live in DC when you have cashflow.

Edit: I live in DC, and IMO it's not all that great. But I went to UG here and this will be my sixth year here. YMMV.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”