bioethics

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laurified

bioethics

Postby laurified » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 pm

anyone else hoping to concentrate on bioethics? what schools are you looking into? would an excellent ranking for that particular field trump a subpar overall ranking?

fakemoney

Re: bioethics

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Minnesota supposedly has a great program

laurified

Postby laurified » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 pm

i got in there, and case western too, both with decent scholarships, but i'm kind of partial towards WUSTL even though it doesn't seem to specialize in bioethics

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 pm

I was seriously looking into this, in part through influence from a very prominent Bioethicist whom I work with closely at my undergrad. Here's what she had to say: Minnesota is the best law program in that vein. UPenn's JD/MBE is a nice credential and an ok program, but mostly its meant as a credential for professionals and not a serious academic pursuit in its own right.

Georgetown's program is the best at elite schools. WUSTL doesn't seem to have a specialty in it at all, but does have some courses. Their environmental law program is great though.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:45 pm

You should be asking this: How will bioethics help me get a job?

Most likely it will not. It's not worth the extra year of debt to obtain a Master in bioethics.

If you really want to (a) go into academics and (b) focus on bioethics as a research area; then, you should be focusing on Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:35 am

vamedic03 wrote:You should be asking this: How will bioethics help me get a job?

Most likely it will not. It's not worth the extra year of debt to obtain a Master in bioethics.

If you really want to (a) go into academics and (b) focus on bioethics as a research area; then, you should be focusing on Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Who said anything about an extra year? The 3 year at Upenn takes no extra time or cost.

Otherwise, VAmedic is right- unless you're gonna get a terminal degree, Bioethics is not worth paying for.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”