Pittsburgh Buffalo or Syracuse

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which would you choose

pittsburgh
81%
buffalo
13%
syracuse
6%

Total votes: 31

esq

Re: Pittsburgh Buffalo or Syracuse

Postby esq » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:07 pm

My reasoning goes that for over a century, the University of Pittsburgh School of Law has educated many of the most influential lawyers in and around the Pittsburgh area. Through its wide variety of elective courses, clinical opportunities, and concentration programs, the school ensures that its students can tailor their legal education to their interests and that they are prepared to practice in any field of the law. For residents of the state of Pennsylvania, the school is an especially attractive option, since its public standing allows it to offer in-state tuition to such applicants. Applicants interested in working in and around Pennsylvania should give the school serious consideration as well, as the University of Pittsburgh School of Law has long established its ability to place its students into many of the top law firms of the state.

And because they're pretty good at sports.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:09 pm

thank you

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Northwood, I'm going to be a bit of a dissenter on Pitt because I went to the ASD last year and loved it... then I started thinking about costs and where my legal connections were and they did not favor Pitt. It's a great school, but I knew it was not a practical choice for me, and it doesn't sound like it's one for you. I will give you that they do a very nice job selling the school and the city.

PA is a state that is notoriously difficult to get in-state tuition. You will likely be paying out of state sticker all three years which means Pitt will cost you like $150k no matter how cheap COL is. And while Pitt is a great school and has solid opportunities, it just isn't worth the money with the types of job prospects available.

If I were you, I would go to Buffalo. It may be unexciting, but it will cost far less and this is where your family and legal connections are.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:32 pm

thanks!

Ive been looking at that- and weighing it all out. The more i think- the more confused i am. I really loved it at pitt- but theres something that i cant put my finger on thats keeping me from signing on the dotted line. Maybe its my insecurity or lack of confidence in myself but im not sure( at least i have more time to figure it out!)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:59 pm

If you have any specific questions on Pitt you can always PM me.

Pitt is a great school, there really is nothing about it I don't love. The community is very supportive and judges are even known to take more externs than they need because they know the market is tough. In-state as a 2L is a mixed bag from what I heard. Some say its easy some say its hard. I think it heavily depends on the ties you can establish once you are here. Good luck in whatever you decide.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Pittsburgh by a mile, as long as you can definitely get instate tuition for 2L and 3L.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:20 pm

any more thoughts??

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:22 pm

northwood wrote:any more thoughts??

I think you are super cool :)

Did you visit cuse yet??

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:30 pm

snapdragon wrote:

Did you visit cuse yet??

I viist cuse on Rebecca Black day ( friday). however, im leaning heavily towards pitt- but i dont want to fully committ there yet

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 pm

northwood wrote:
snapdragon wrote:

Did you visit cuse yet??

I viist cuse on Rebecca Black day ( friday). however, im leaning heavily towards pitt- but i dont want to fully committ there yet

Gotcha - I'll be interested to see what you think then. It really does make such a difference. Til then, I remain solidly pro-Pitt

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 pm

I had the same choices 3 years ago and chose pitt. (I wasn't from any of the areas).
I've loved my 3 years in Pittsburgh and at Pitt law.
Of course, now I'm trying to get a job and it's a real bitch! But that would probably be the case at any of these schools.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Pitt made ATL today:
--LinkRemoved--

esq

Postby esq » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

keg411 wrote:Pitt made ATL today:
--LinkRemoved--

Wow. Well that certainly scared the shit out of me, and tbf, their bball team did choke pretty hard over the weekend.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Bumping for more information:
Visited Syracuse's Admitted Student Day yesterday. Really liked the facilities and the campus vibe. the class I sat on was a 1l property course. Was able to talk to the students in the class. The class size was small, and the students got along fine with eachother ( and they all thought one kid was too annoying) Professor caught a gunner, and put him in his place during class, but did so in a way that was appropriate and funny. Was a bit worried about the job prospects from the 3Ls and 2Ls, but they all said they would attend again ( i pulled them aside from the rest of my group and talked one on one) Really liked the clinics and the ability to be able to get another degree while in law school and be able to do something with it, that would be fitting for a legal career and this would be a bonus. Cost of living is rather cheap, and apartments are decent sized. Right now, i would rank this school as a close 2 to pittsburgh. It blew buffalo out of the water ( I cant see myself in buffalo, either for law school, or afterwords- its just not a good fit.

Right now i have a 30k a year scholly. Hoping to get more- will know results from this by end of next week ( they claimed to have a glitch with the computer system- they dont email financial aid info- but upload it to each individual students account).

conclusion: Pittsburgh is my number one choice. I will go there if their final number is close to Syracuse's. Syracuse is a close second, but if they sweeten the offer and mkae it much more appealing, it will be hard to say no to that. Buffalo is out, unless they counter with an even better offer, but i just dont think i will be happy in that city. The school is decent, but the city just isnt for me- so i wont go there.
I will changemy tar when i send in the seat deposit. Thanks for the help and suggestions. THis was a great sounding board!

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Pitt.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Last post before this thread falls into oblivion:
Decided to go with pittsburgh. Got the final numbers from the last 2 schools- taked to some important and trustworthy people about the decision, wrote and rewrote my thought process down, slept ( and drank) on it for a few days. In the end, I followed my gut- and decided to send the seat deposit to Pittsburgh!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”