how "regional" is UT Austin?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Alex-Trof

Re: how "regional" is UT Austin?

Postby Alex-Trof » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:UTexas has an entire day dedicated to NYC hiring where all the biglaw firms go down just for UT students. Similarly they have other big market days. People stay in Texas because they want to - but they certainly don't have to.

Take Texas in a heartbeat

I don't think it really matters even if they had entire month dedicated to each market outside of Texas. In the end of the day the only thing that matters is how easy it is for students at each class rank to get a decent job outside of Texas.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:In my experience, the firms are pretty accommodating. I personally know attorneys who have transferred to both my firm's New York and DC offices. Obviously, if you know you want to start out in those cities, you are better off interviewing initially with their branch offices. They would definitely be interviewing UT students.

So from your experience, firms in the northeast (NYC, Philly, DC, Boston, even Pittsburgh and Baltimore) will interview or recruit or consider UT kids?

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:14 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:In my experience, the firms are pretty accommodating. I personally know attorneys who have transferred to both my firm's New York and DC offices. Obviously, if you know you want to start out in those cities, you are better off interviewing initially with their branch offices. They would definitely be interviewing UT students.

Really?

I am too lazy to search the forum, but there was a thread where an associate at V100 was taking questions and one of the questions was about transferring. The consensus was that you should plan to stay in the office you interviewed for and firms are unwilling to transfer. The reason, as far as I remember, was that many would have opt out for secondary markets that are easier to get into, but would have tried to transfer to headquarters once they've gotten hired.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”