how "regional" is UT Austin? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
idratherbetraveling

New

how "regional" is UT Austin?

Post by idratherbetraveling » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:18 am

Trying to decide whether I want go to school there - I have a feeling I'd love law school there for 3 years but then hate my life if I lived in TX long term. How easy is it to get a job outside of Texas? I'm not necessarily looking for a biglaw job, and at this point in my life, I'd actually rather end up in public interest law. I would like to work on the East Coast (specifically DC) or Chicago. Can someone give me an idea of how easy it is to get out of Texas after going to school there?

(Note: right now, GWU is out of my price range, unless they agree to give me more money and I didn't get apply to/get in to UChicago/NW)

alexonfyre

Bronze

Re: how "regional" is UT Austin?

Post by alexonfyre » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 am

idratherbetraveling wrote:Trying to decide whether I want go to school there - I have a feeling I'd love law school there for 3 years but then hate my life if I lived in TX long term. How easy is it to get a job outside of Texas? I'm not necessarily looking for a biglaw job, and at this point in my life, I'd actually rather end up in public interest law. I would like to work on the East Coast (specifically DC) or Chicago. Can someone give me an idea of how easy it is to get out of Texas after going to school there?

(Note: right now, GWU is out of my price range, unless they agree to give me more money and I didn't get apply to/get in to UChicago/NW)
UT employed 31% of students out-of-state two years ago, 17% of them were on the East Coast.
I would definitely say that UT is more of a regional school, but more accurately a regional super-power. Going to UT you are in anywhere in Texas, OK, NM and some parts of Louisiana. As I have mentioned before, because not many UT grads aim out of state, it is hard to tell how much reach they actually have, however by the same token, schools build rep on the backs of successful alums, and if UT doesn't produce many biglaw alums out of state, it will be hard for it to grow that reputation.

That said, if you have any sort of connections, then you should be fine where ever you go with a UT degree, and if you do well, top ~20% I would imagine you could probably get back to the East Coast, simply based on the numbers.

If anyone knows from personal experience, please correct me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:06 am

Have any ties to Chicago? If not, gonna be difficult. DC is a crapshoot even with awesome grades.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:13 am

rad law wrote:Have any ties to Chicago? If not, gonna be difficult. DC is a crapshoot even with awesome grades.
I thought Texas was officially national now after, well you know...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:25 am

idratherbetraveling wrote:Trying to decide whether I want go to school there - I have a feeling I'd love law school there for 3 years but then hate my life if I lived in TX long term. How easy is it to get a job outside of Texas? I'm not necessarily looking for a biglaw job, and at this point in my life, I'd actually rather end up in public interest law. I would like to work on the East Coast (specifically DC) or Chicago. Can someone give me an idea of how easy it is to get out of Texas after going to school there?

You apply to ND? If they give you $$$, it's a worthwhile consideration (for Chi at least, and it leaves you some safety valve flexibility w/r/t region).

I didn't apply to UT, and it was my single greatest regret in the admissions process. I didn't apply purely b/c so many of their grads stay in Texas, but I'm really convinced now it's self-selection driven.

One of my buds from UG is a 3L (not on LR that I know of; SBA kid) who has a pretty sweet midlaw gig lined up in FL (if this anecdote encourages you at all).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 am

Its tough to tell because around 66% of the class are in staters. So obviously a large portion of the class probably doesnt want to leave texas. Id say that the amount of texas residents who want to leave texas roughly equals the number of out of staters who want to start a career in texas so about 33% of the class or so wants to work out of state while the rest probably arent that interested. That is just my hunch though. Texas does have alot of out of state firms come to OCI, but I would suspect you may need to do a little more networking/legwork when trying to secure a job out of state.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:56 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:Its tough to tell because around 66% of the class are in staters. So obviously a large portion of the class probably doesnt want to leave texas. Id say that the amount of texas residents who want to leave texas roughly equals the number of out of staters who want to start a career in texas so about 33% of the class or so wants to work out of state while the rest probably arent that interested. That is just my hunch though. Texas does have alot of out of state firms come to OCI, but I would suspect you may need to do a little more networking/legwork when trying to secure a job out of state.
UTexas has an entire day dedicated to NYC hiring where all the biglaw firms go down just for UT students. Similarly they have other big market days. People stay in Texas because they want to - but they certainly don't have to.

Take Texas in a heartbeat

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:35 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
rad law wrote:Have any ties to Chicago? If not, gonna be difficult. DC is a crapshoot even with awesome grades.
I thought Texas was officially national now after, well you know...
while you meant that to be tongue-in-cheek, you'd need ties to Chicago even if you went to a "true T13"

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Regional? UT is a NATIONAL school, it places all throughout Texas.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SoupIsGoodFood

New

Post by SoupIsGoodFood » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm going to be the stereotypical parochial Texan and ask why you would ever want to leave our fine state after attending UT?

I think the main reason a UT degree is less portable than some of its peer schools is the feedback effect from that sort of behavior. People who go to UT want to stay in Texas --> Fewer alumni living out of state to network/hire other alumni who leave the state. It's kind of like the opposite of what happens at Duke.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Subtle GeorgeTTTown trolling.

For reals, you can get out of Texas with a UT law degree.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Veyron wrote:Regional? UT is a NATIONAL school, it places all throughout Texas.
I approve of this post.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Oh lord. Here's this argument again.... :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jhw123

New

Post by jhw123 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:06 am

UTexas has an entire day dedicated to NYC hiring where all the biglaw firms go down just for UT students. Similarly they have other big market days. People stay in Texas because they want to - but they certainly don't have to.

Take Texas in a heartbeat[/quote]

I like it! One of the things that sold me on Texas over other options was the sheer number of recruiters that come to campus. Big school + big name = lots of recruiters from across the country. Admitted students should have received a list of last year's recruiters in the mail.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm interested in this, too. I have some T14 acceptances (and even a little money) and a lot of money at some T25s. Texas is like a compromise -- not as much money as say WUSTL, but better placement, and not as good as Michigan's placement, but more money. Penn is my dream school and I'll pay an arm and a leg to go there but I haven't heard from them yet. Thus, right now Texas is very intriguing to me. Plus, unlike Cornell or Michigan, they are located in an awesome city and not some small ass town. As an urbanite this is a big deal to me. However, I fear being stuck in Texas (and not working in Austin) after graduation; I really want to be working in Philly, DC, NYC, Boston, or even Pittsburgh or Baltimore after graduation. Someone qualm my fears or get me into Penn. :lol:

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:46 pm

lmfao +1, solid post

and besides OP, this is relative right? what are your other options?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 pm

UT as a whole has a very large and aggressive alumni network. It would surprise me if the law school were somehow an exception to this.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:12 pm

haus wrote:UT as a whole has a very large and aggressive alumni network. It would surprise me if the law school were somehow an exception to this.
Well I only know 1 UT Law grad: Joe Jamail.

He is both large and aggressive.

idratherbetraveling

New

Post by idratherbetraveling » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Going to head out to UT's ASD and see how I feel after that...

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:13 pm

bump

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:18 pm

haus wrote:UT as a whole has a very large and aggressive alumni network. It would surprise me if the law school were somehow an exception to this.

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:28 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious, most of the major Texas firms have DC and NYC offices. Whether you interview directly for those offices or transfer at some point, there are plenty of UT grads in both cases. Indeed, the head of the NYC office of one of the big three Houston firms is a UT grad. Good luck

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:46 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious, most of the major Texas firms have DC and NYC offices. Whether you interview directly for those offices or transfer at some point, there are plenty of UT grads in both cases. Indeed, the head of the NYC office of one of the big three Houston firms is a UT grad. Good luck
I don't think it works like this. You can't just transfer. It is very difficult to do and you have to have very compelling reasons to do so. Also, I think there is a Villanova law graduate in the senate, it still doesn't make it a good option for a political career.

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:57 pm

In my experience, the firms are pretty accommodating. I personally know attorneys who have transferred to both my firm's New York and DC offices. Obviously, if you know you want to start out in those cities, you are better off interviewing initially with their branch offices. They would definitely be interviewing UT students.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”