Cumberland for free vs. UF @ sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Poll ended at Sat May 07, 2011 12:29 am

Cumberland @ full ride
28%
UF @ sticker
72%

Total votes: 60

mpj_3050

Re: Cumberland for free vs. UF @ sticker

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Florida isn't that (relatively speaking) expensive at sticker. UF is vastly superior.

AU2010NC

Postby AU2010NC » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Also just got a one time $7500 offer from FSU today, which gives me another option to consider

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm

mst wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
seriously???? wrote:networking, networking, networking...that can only be done at UF, not cumberland?

It is possible anywhere, but it is easier at a school that is respected.

oh snap. but yeah, this. and if you're gonna say "cumberlands respected" you might have a case but i think the vast majority of the people on this board, in the profession, and in the real world would agree that uf surpasses it in that regard by a longshot.

the view of this board does not matter too much, since we're not actually practicing, i am not familiar with this market, so i can't tell you what the profession thinks, but i must say, most people in the real world if you tell someone you are going to law school are going to be like "o snap, that is awesome" regardless of the school. the average person knows nothing of prestige of law schools.

again, you can't speak of UF like it is a T14 though. There is the addage, go either to a T14, or full ride anywhere else. So it isn't like taking a full ride is a horrible idea. and sticker at UF is not necessarily a good deal, it is just the cost that all law schools should be before scholarships. we seem to forget how overpriced law schools are, and when a state school has a price fixed where it really should be, we think it is a bargain.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm

sundance95 wrote:
seriously???? wrote:completely agree, but it is not like UF is harvard. Further, say a community has 1000 lawyers. 800 respect UF, while only 200 respect Cumblerland. obviously, a huge advantage for UF...but how many people fully utilize all of their networking opportunities. If one can really get 100% value out of the 200 attorneys who respect cumberland, that person is in a better position than one who half asses his networking with the attorneys who respect UF. and if it really comes down to networking, id take the 50plus K id save by not going to UF and take my chances...
but again, OP, reevaluate your connections, and if you feel like you can definitely land a job no matter what...again, a tossup.

800>200. HTH

not to mention this logical fallacy: why would somebody who goes to cumberland and doesn't half-ass it go to uf and half-ass it? IT MAKES NO SENSE.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:02 pm

seriously???? wrote:completely agree, but it is not like UF is harvard. Further, say a community has 1000 lawyers. 800 respect UF, while only 200 respect Cumblerland. obviously, a huge advantage for UF...but how many people fully utilize all of their networking opportunities. If one can really get 100% value out of the 200 attorneys who respect cumberland, that person is in a better position than one who half asses his networking with the attorneys who respect UF. and if it really comes down to networking, id take the 50plus K id save by not going to UF and take my chances...
but again, OP, reevaluate your connections, and if you feel like you can definitely land a job no matter what...again, a tossup.

UF may not be Harvard, but it's more comparable to Harvard than Cumberland is to it.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:02 pm

seriously???? wrote:
mst wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
seriously???? wrote:networking, networking, networking...that can only be done at UF, not cumberland?

It is possible anywhere, but it is easier at a school that is respected.

oh snap. but yeah, this. and if you're gonna say "cumberlands respected" you might have a case but i think the vast majority of the people on this board, in the profession, and in the real world would agree that uf surpasses it in that regard by a longshot.

the view of this board does not matter too much, since we're not actually practicing, i am not familiar with this market, so i can't tell you what the profession thinks, but i must say, most people in the real world if you tell someone you are going to law school are going to be like "o snap, that is awesome" regardless of the school. the average person knows nothing of prestige of law schools.

Orly, lay persons don't know shit when it comes to law schools? So what? They aren't the ones who hire lawyers. :roll:

Your point only supports the idea that OP should attend UF.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:02 pm

AU2010NC wrote:Also just got a one time $7500 offer from FSU today, which gives me another option to consider

If you want less debt, I'd recommend that over Cumberland.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm

seriously???? wrote:i am not familiar with this market, so i can't tell you what the profession thinks

well then let the people who ARE familiar with the local market, the school and the professionals hiring in it give the advice and stop giving this guy the worst advice possible.

SoupIsGoodFood

Postby SoupIsGoodFood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Please for the love of God don't go to Cumberland. If you can't pay sticker at UF, try negotiating or if that fails, retake and reapply next cycle.

AU2010NC

Postby AU2010NC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 am

I am in the process of trying to negotiate. Although it is not near as good of school, it might help that it is full tuition and in the same region. It was slightly successful at FSU as I got $7500. That may give me a little more leverage for negotiating at UF, but not much time as the FSU deadline is April 1.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:00 am

AU2010NC wrote:I am in the process of trying to negotiate. Although it is not near as good of school, it might help that it is full tuition and in the same region. It was slightly successful at FSU as I got $7500. That may give me a little more leverage for negotiating at UF, but not much time as the FSU deadline is April 1.

The FSU money will probably be more useful in negotiating money from UF than the Cumberland money will be. People with #s from UF are capable of getting large schollys at MANY other schools...it's the peer schools that matter to UF. Also, let UF know about the impending deadline for the FSU money. Good luck.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 pm

cumberland is closer in comparison to UF, than UF is to harvard. Harvard is pretty much guaranteed success, the other two schools are far from it...

and the 800 and 200...what i was trying to say is that most people halfass at networking, or either begin too late...im just saying if one goes into school fully utilizing alumni and other connections, going to cumberland should not be a problem with that regard...

again, i am not saying goto cumberland, but to say it is a horrible idea...i mean how can so many people knock a debt free education...UF still puts one leaps and bounds away from a high paying job, which one could argue the OP would need to eradicate his debt...and the argument with cumberland will be good luck even finding a job...
but the OP says he has connections, plus he has a full ride, so arguably he could be a top student, with connections, and no debt...sure that is a what if scenario, but if he somehow crashes and burns, at least he has a JD and is debt free. if he does the same at UF, hell be paying the gov't for a long time...

OP, sure if you goto cumberland you will take shit...people may laugh at you, but then again, you can ask the same people how their debt is working out for them...

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Just give it up, dude. Also, there are forms of punctuation other than the ellipsis. HTH

Return to “Choosing a Law School”