Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Go to where?

Vanderbilt (30k total)
38
66%
Wash. U in St. Louis (75k total)
20
34%
 
Total votes: 58

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby Grizz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:14 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:How does the statement: "My school X places primarily in Y but it's best secondary market is NYC" turn into "My school X is good for NYC"

You are an idiot.


That's a gross oversimplification of what I said.

Go back, read, and you will find the link and the reasoning, you illiterate fuck.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:32 pm

rad law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:How does the statement: "My school X places primarily in Y but it's best secondary market is NYC" turn into "My school X is good for NYC"

You are an idiot.


That's a gross oversimplification of what I said.

Go back, read, and you will find the link and the reasoning, you illiterate fuck.


How will I go back and read "the link and reasoning" when they don't exist?

Only thing you state is how you go to Vandy and you know and how people should "come down there". That's convincing evidence -- a bunch of Vandy law students talking about how good Vandy is for NYC? Provide me some statistics. I can bet you Vandy isn't "good" for NYC -- it's probably barely the same as worse schools such as BU/BC that don't place primarily into NYC either. HERP DERP

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby jenesaislaw » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Regardless of what you think about Vandy's ability to place in NYC - perhaps you should inquire with Vandy's career services for the GPA requirements from NY firms to get an idea about where their cutoff is (it's anywhere from roughly top half and beyond for firms like S&C) - a very, very large percentage of people in the 3L class this year (and the Class of 2010) has no interest in New York. I know I did not personally bid any NY firms. We put a ton of our top students in the south because that is where they want to be, despite having access to V10 firms.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:Regardless of what you think about Vandy's ability to place in NYC - perhaps you should inquire with Vandy's career services for the GPA requirements from NY firms to get an idea about where their cutoff is (it's anywhere from roughly top half and beyond for firms like S&C) - a very, very large percentage of people in the 3L class this year (and the Class of 2010) has no interest in New York. I know I did not personally bid any NY firms. We put a ton of our top students in the south because that is where they want to be, despite having access to V10 firms.


Key word "Top students". Top students (top 10%) at most any T25ish school will have access to firms all over.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
rad law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:How does the statement: "My school X places primarily in Y but it's best secondary market is NYC" turn into "My school X is good for NYC"

You are an idiot.


That's a gross oversimplification of what I said.

Go back, read, and you will find the link and the reasoning, you illiterate fuck.


How will I go back and read "the link and reasoning" when they don't exist?

Only thing you state is how you go to Vandy and you know and how people should "come down there". That's convincing evidence -- a bunch of Vandy law students talking about how good Vandy is for NYC? Provide me some statistics. I can bet you Vandy isn't "good" for NYC -- it's probably barely the same as worse schools such as BU/BC that don't place primarily into NYC either. HERP DERP

Ah, back on TLS I see. I always though you were way underrated as the worst poster on this site.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Regardless of what you think about Vandy's ability to place in NYC - perhaps you should inquire with Vandy's career services for the GPA requirements from NY firms to get an idea about where their cutoff is (it's anywhere from roughly top half and beyond for firms like S&C) - a very, very large percentage of people in the 3L class this year (and the Class of 2010) has no interest in New York. I know I did not personally bid any NY firms. We put a ton of our top students in the south because that is where they want to be, despite having access to V10 firms.


Key word "Top students". Top students (top 10%) at most any T25ish school will have access to firms all over.

I am by no means a t-14 or bust snob, but this just isn't true. If you talk to firms in NYC, they're substantially more likely to take someone from Cardozo than Indiana: Bloomington.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby TheFactor » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:23 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
rad law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:How does the statement: "My school X places primarily in Y but it's best secondary market is NYC" turn into "My school X is good for NYC"

You are an idiot.


That's a gross oversimplification of what I said.

Go back, read, and you will find the link and the reasoning, you illiterate fuck.


How will I go back and read "the link and reasoning" when they don't exist?

Only thing you state is how you go to Vandy and you know and how people should "come down there". That's convincing evidence -- a bunch of Vandy law students talking about how good Vandy is for NYC? Provide me some statistics. I can bet you Vandy isn't "good" for NYC -- it's probably barely the same as worse schools such as BU/BC that don't place primarily into NYC either. HERP DERP

Quite impressed by this troll's high post count.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:47 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Regardless of what you think about Vandy's ability to place in NYC - perhaps you should inquire with Vandy's career services for the GPA requirements from NY firms to get an idea about where their cutoff is (it's anywhere from roughly top half and beyond for firms like S&C) - a very, very large percentage of people in the 3L class this year (and the Class of 2010) has no interest in New York. I know I did not personally bid any NY firms. We put a ton of our top students in the south because that is where they want to be, despite having access to V10 firms.


Key word "Top students". Top students (top 10%) at most any T25ish school will have access to firms all over.

I am by no means a t-14 or bust snob, but this just isn't true. If you talk to firms in NYC, they're substantially more likely to take someone from Cardozo than Indiana: Bloomington.


Access =/= equal opportunity employer.

Still no stats to back up Vandy as being anything other than mediocre at NYC placement. Guess it's time to wear my crown as the king of this thread.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby flcath » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:52 pm

This thread would have gone better if it were limited to romo and radlaw, who could each provide objective information on (and reasonable advocacy for) their respective schools.

I personally would pay the extra money at Vandy (where I didn't get in, despite getting into CG... congrats, btw), but no one would call you an idiot for going to WUSTL for an extra $45K.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby Grizz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:33 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Still no stats to back up Vandy as being anything other than mediocre at NYC placement. Guess it's time to wear my crown as the king of this thread.


We don't have stats on self-selection herp derp

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Regardless of what you think about Vandy's ability to place in NYC - perhaps you should inquire with Vandy's career services for the GPA requirements from NY firms to get an idea about where their cutoff is (it's anywhere from roughly top half and beyond for firms like S&C) - a very, very large percentage of people in the 3L class this year (and the Class of 2010) has no interest in New York. I know I did not personally bid any NY firms. We put a ton of our top students in the south because that is where they want to be, despite having access to V10 firms.


Key word "Top students". Top students (top 10%) at most any T25ish school will have access to firms all over.



Job well done with defining a term I used to your advantage, while ignoring the rest of the post, especially the GPA cutoff part.

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: Vandy $ vs. WUSTL $$

Postby drylo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:55 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:Regardless of what you think about Vandy's ability to place in NYC - perhaps you should inquire with Vandy's career services for the GPA requirements from NY firms to get an idea about where their cutoff is (it's anywhere from roughly top half and beyond for firms like S&C) - a very, very large percentage of people in the 3L class this year (and the Class of 2010) has no interest in New York. I know I did not personally bid any NY firms. We put a ton of our top students in the south because that is where they want to be, despite having access to V10 firms.


Key word "Top students". Top students (top 10%) at most any T25ish school will have access to firms all over.


You are an idiot. I hate to be rude, but good grief...

I think its rather uncontroversial to say that the majority of my class (2012) has no interest in working in NYC. Like jenesaislaw, I did not bid a single NY firm--and I know a lot of other students at/near the top of the class (both in my class and in the two classes ahead of me) who did not bid in NY at all. And with that in mind, Vandy still places a significant percentage of students in NYC firms. I have heard of people taking NYC jobs after coming up empty in a preferred Southern market.

I could go on, but the point is that you make a fool of yourself when you act like Vandy students don't have an appreciable shot at getting a NYC biglaw job.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest