. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TubzEsq

New

Post by TubzEsq » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Last edited by TubzEsq on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Re: Duke vs Michigan vs UVA

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Visit them all and pick the one you like the most.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:43 pm

I picked Michigan because it's probably where I'm going and I think it's awesome. But there's probably no wrong answer.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

src42 wrote:I picked Michigan because it's probably where I'm going and I think it's awesome. But there's probably no wrong answer.
Second this. Mich also has great dual degree programs and is FWIW supposed to be great with international law (though I am always skeptical of people talking about a school's "specialities."). I would also look into the study abroad programs but really as src said, there's probably no wrong answer, and I am also biased.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Dual degrees are worthless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Michigan!!!!!!!

Especially now that it climbed to 7th place.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Dual degrees are worthless.
inb4 aschup

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Curry wrote:
inb4 aschup
Never trust a ginger unless he agrees with me.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Curry wrote:
inb4 aschup
When they agree with you, doesn't that mean you're wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Curry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Curry wrote:
inb4 aschup
Gingers aren't always wrong, they are just untrustworthy.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Curry wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Curry wrote: inb4 aschup
Gingers aren't are always wrong, and they are just untrustworthy.
ftfy

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm

if SO is interested in "international law" and you guys got scholarships at all these schools then you should probably look at some of the higher ranked schools you got into. The best way to do international law is to either target a magic circle firm or to get into academia.

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:34 pm

src42 wrote:I picked Michigan because it's probably where I'm going and I think it's awesome. But there's probably no wrong answer.

I love Michigan, and that's what I voted for. However, I completely agree that you should visit all three and investigate the "feel" of each school (as well as the quality of the faculty, etc.) to make your decision.

As for the markets you mentioned:

NYC: considered the "easiest" biglaw market. No ties required. ("So you'd like to practice law in New York. Fascinating. Why on earth would you want to come HERE for that?" <-- Extremely Infrequently Asked Question)

DC: no ties required here, and as far as I can tell picking a local school (e.g. GULC) does absolutely nothing for you. However, it's the exact opposite of NYC in that it's BRUTALLY selective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 pm

This is a ranking of world wide reputation of universities. Might matter for the international aspect but probably not.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... kings.html

Also, I think you might want to think about whether you would rather work in Chicago or the South more just in case you change your mind.

théo

New

Post by théo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:33 pm

AreJay711 wrote:This is a ranking of world wide reputation of universities. Might matter for the international aspect but probably not.

Also, I think you might want to think about whether you would rather work in Chicago or the South more just in case you change your mind.
I've been living in Paris for the past three years, and you would be surprised at the international reputation of U.S. schools abroad. I assure you that none of the three schools in your poll have any name recognition here. People are obsessed with 1. Harvard 2. Berkeley 3. anything located in New York City or with "New York" in the name.

It's sort of like how Americans think the Sorbonne is the best school ever in France, but it has the reputation of Random State School here. :|

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:31 pm

théo wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:This is a ranking of world wide reputation of universities. Might matter for the international aspect but probably not.

I've been living in Paris for the past three years, and you would be surprised at the international reputation of U.S. schools abroad. I assure you that none of the three schools in your poll have any name recognition here. People are obsessed with 1. Harvard 2. Berkeley 3. anything located in New York City or with "New York" in the name.

It's sort of like how Americans think the Sorbonne is the best school ever in France, but it has the reputation of Random State School here. :|
I'm from Europe and one thing i can say is that if someone was to go and say Berkley-they would say Berkley what? Berkley is not a popular school in Europe.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Miracle wrote:I'm from Europe and one thing i can say is that if someone was to go and say Berkley-they would say Berkley what? Berkley is not a popular school in Europe.
Berkley isn't famous in America either =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:51 pm

What matters is what the international legal community thinks of certain schools. FWIW, those rankings are geared towards science/research.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:54 pm

théo wrote:

By this logic, NYLS would be a top school. Even the French aren't that stupid.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:56 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
théo wrote:

By this logic, NYLS would be a top school. Even the French aren't that stupid.
+1 that statement just doesn't make sense.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:20 pm

The schools with the best international reputations are the Ivy League schools (yes, including Cornell) plus Stanford. After that, they look at the U.S. News rankings, including the historical ones. With that in mind, I'd give Michigan a slight edge over Virginia unless you have personal reasons to prefer UVa.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zeus

New

Post by Zeus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:43 pm

This poll and the associated comments tend to make me believe TLS users do nothing more than refer to USNWR most recent rankings and formulate an opinion 100% based on that. Do people really think that Michigan's stock has significantly risen simply because it is now #7 on this years list?

There are plenty of other reasons to choose a law school besides USNWR. That said, all these are good choices. I wouldn't let rankings factor in at all, the difference between 7, 9, and 11 are inconsequential when you see the actual scores the schools received from the USNWR.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:46 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Visit them all and pick the one you like the most.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Visit them all and pick the one you like the most.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:49 pm

This is ridiculous. This means absolutely nothing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”