Is Emory really worth the cost?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Wake Forest w/ 22K scholarship
6%
Emory w/ 15K scholarship
21%
Indiana w/ full ride and joint MBA degree.
74%

Total votes: 68

Bless

Re: Is Emory really worth the cost?

Postby Bless » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:10 pm

drummerboy wrote:cool thanks for your input

HUH? I was backing you up, lmao.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't agree w/ all the Emory bashing, but IU is clearly the best deal here

Take the full ride, OP

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm

If you want to go into solo work, then ... yeah. Take the full ride. I think that's the obvious choice. (Only other factor might be: you might want to use the alumni network to get started working with some more experienced types for a while in small shops.)

I wouldn't say Emory is worth the cost, but I don't think it's so much worse than other schools it's often discussed alongside:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/7edd4baeb0.png

For comparison, Indiana doesn't seem to even show up on the NLJ 250 radar.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:33 pm

drummerboy wrote:patriot did you get into a better school? I hope so. It better be considerablly better for you to spew that kind of nonsense.

Not that it matters, because emory would be terrible no matter what school I go to. But I certainly will get into a much better school next year if my numbers are any indicator.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm

It isn't nonsense. The school is overpriced and pretends to serve biglaw firms when the reality is that a small fraction of its students get biglaw. Its a $150,000 price tag and three years of no income for the good chance of working in small firm, hopefully earning $50K, or otherwise its apply for government assistance for your loan repayments and hope to find public interest work. If building wealth interests you, its a poor choice.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Did you apply to IU's business and law schools concurrently?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm

I disagree with Patriot that Emory sucks (although I do like to give mickey a hard time about it). It is a fine school. It just isn't worth attending at or near sticker.

IUB is the winner here.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 pm

OP, where are you from? While Indiana seems like the obvious choice, remember, most law degrees are NOT mobile at all and most people wind up in the state where their law school is located or one of the surrounding states. So you'd better have some idea of where you want to practice. After doing significant research during my cycle, I would be hesitant to go to a non-t13 in a region that I had no ties to (for reference, I am a 1L who chose a school in my home state for that exact reason).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:01 pm

keg411 wrote:OP, where are you from? While Indiana seems like the obvious choice, remember, most law degrees are NOT mobile at all and most people wind up in the state where their law school is located or one of the surrounding states. So you'd better have some idea of where you want to practice. After doing significant research during my cycle, I would be hesitant to go to a non-t13 in a region that I had no ties to (for reference, I am a 1L who chose a school in my home state for that exact reason).

But OP wants to be a solo, which means that getting hired or being portable isn't really an issue.

Although obviously being a solo is a difficult and risky decision. But I'll suspend my thoughts on that for the time being.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:OP, where are you from? While Indiana seems like the obvious choice, remember, most law degrees are NOT mobile at all and most people wind up in the state where their law school is located or one of the surrounding states. So you'd better have some idea of where you want to practice. After doing significant research during my cycle, I would be hesitant to go to a non-t13 in a region that I had no ties to (for reference, I am a 1L who chose a school in my home state for that exact reason).

But OP wants to be a solo, which means that getting hired or being portable isn't really an issue.

Although obviously being a solo is a difficult and risky decision. But I'll suspend my thoughts on that for the time being.

If OP wants to be a solo, hometown connections are even more important, IMO. Also, commercial real estate is mostly done by large firms. If OP said he/she wanted to do residential real estate, I'd be more willing to buy the solo thing.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:24 pm

keg411 wrote:If OP wants to be a solo, hometown connections are even more important, IMO. Also, commercial real estate is mostly done by large firms. If OP said he/she wanted to do residential real estate, I'd be more willing to buy the solo thing.

The bolded is a good point.

I was focusing more on the question at hand ITT (where OP should go), but I do think OP needs to think more about this whole gameplan. Doesn't sound like he fully grasps the difficulty of going solo, especially in a field like commercial real estate. Maybe I'm wrong and he has, but I certainly hope he's done his homework.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:38 am

romothesavior wrote:I disagree with Patriot that Emory sucks. It just isn't worth attending at or near sticker.

Same thing to me

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 am

Yeah the idea that it is a great wonderful amazing school---that just happens to be overpriced---is being too kind. Cost is a huge part of equation. Where the money goes, which students pay full freight, salaries--it all matters.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:45 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I disagree with Patriot that Emory sucks. It just isn't worth attending at or near sticker.

Same thing to me

Well that's a pretty narrow view of law schools universities in general.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 am

Patriot1208 wrote:

Same thing to me

*eyeroll smiley*

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Same thing to me

We all make life decisions with some sort of rational calculator. The bottom line is that emory is a pretty terrible ROI for most students who attend. I don't fault someone for taking a significant scholarship there because that will change the equation. But when judging the school in general we have to look at what it offers the majority of students, not ten percent of them.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:06 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Same thing to me

We all make life decisions with some sort of rational calculator. The bottom line is that emory is a pretty terrible ROI for most students who attend. I don't fault someone for taking a significant scholarship there because that will change the equation. But when judging the school in general we have to look at what it offers the majority of students, not ten percent of them.

So the school sucks if you're going at sticker, but it doesn't suck if you have a full ride. I'm not following you.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Same thing to me

So the school sucks if you're going at sticker, but it doesn't suck if you have a full ride. I'm not following you.

let me rephrase, It doesn't suck, but it is a shitty investment for most who attend. But the consensus is that law schools are pretty much all the same, so how good of an investment it is is the best metric we have for differentiating between schools.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 am

IUB if you want to open your own business. Debt is a killer if you want to open your own business. Better said, debt for the business is ok, but school debt will hinder your ability to take risks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”