Duke vs. Vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ashleyre
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Duke vs. Vandy

Postby ashleyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:49 am

Duke at sticker vs. Vandy with 60k....thoughts?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 am

See if you can bargain Vandy up to 72, they give those out to a lot of people.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Vandy is more fun, and Nashville blows Durham out of the water, but Duke places better and has more name recognition. Not to say Vandy's placement is bad, even ITE.

Check out the US News employment stats from the new rankings.

Personally, I think I would take Vandy. I got offered $84k at Vandy and was thinking I would taking that over Duke at sticker no question and was even considering it over Chicago at sticker. Then Duke offered me $54k and complicated everything...

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashleyre
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby ashleyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am

I just submitted my scholarship form to Duke so I could potentially get some $$, but since i'm a splitter with borderline numbers (170, 3.5) i'm just assuming I won't get anything. I'm fairly certain I want to go into Public Interest but don't want to limit myself in case I change my mind

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 am

duckmoney wrote:See if you can bargain Vandy up to 72, they give those out to a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure I heard Vanderbilt doesn't negotiate scholarships anymore. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby duckmoney » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

iwanta170 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:See if you can bargain Vandy up to 72, they give those out to a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure I heard Vanderbilt doesn't negotiate scholarships anymore. Does anyone have any information to the contrary?


They say this, but if they want you, they'll at least consider your offers. I've had terrible luck negotiating with everyone this cycle though.

User avatar
bep244
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby bep244 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:06 pm

ashleyre wrote:Duke at sticker vs. Vandy with 60k....thoughts?


I'm in a very similar situation. Still waiting to hear back from Duke about $$, and I got $77K from Vandy. Every day I seem to go back and forth about which one to choose.

Are you going to both ASWs? I'm waiting to make my decision until after those.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby Fred_McGriff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Duke, woof! Go to Vanderbilt.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby Moxie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 pm

ashleyre wrote:Duke at sticker vs. Vandy with 60k....thoughts?


Rock Chalk wrote:Goals?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke vs. Vandy

Postby Bosque » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:37 pm

ashleyre wrote:I just submitted my scholarship form to Duke so I could potentially get some $$, but since i'm a splitter with borderline numbers (170, 3.5) i'm just assuming I won't get anything. I'm fairly certain I want to go into Public Interest but don't want to limit myself in case I change my mind


I'm actually guessing you will get money, especially if you tell Duke about that Vandy Scholarship. Maybe not a matching offer, but even that is a possibility.

I hope to see all you accepted Duke students on Friday!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests