St. Thomas vs. Nova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Its the gel man

New

St. Thomas vs. Nova

Post by Its the gel man » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 am

They're both 4th tier, but which one is better? I would love to live in Miami, but am not sure about St. Thomas' reputation reputation. Well, both the school's reputation suck, to be honest, but I'm most likely going to have to choose between one or the other. One thing that appeals to me about Nova is the program they have in Barcelona where you can get boarded in both Europe and Florida. Is this worth anything? Which one would you choose?

P.S. Taking the LSAT over is not an option

RockyIII

Bronze

Re: St. Thomas vs. Nova

Post by RockyIII » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:08 am

Its the gel man wrote: P.S. Taking the LSAT over is not an option
Why?

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 am

I believe Nova has more options after you get your JD I have friends there and it is in a better area (safer, nicer).

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Maybe he took it 3 times already?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I cringe whenever I see the name St. Thomas.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex-Trof

Silver

Post by Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Off topic.

I worked with one "not-so-bright" individual who got a doctorate in education from Nova online. One time he was talking about his experience. The culmination of his studies was a trip to Florida for 2 weeks. And guess what, they stayed at Disney World. I wonder if law school experience there has anything to with Disney. Put on Mickey Mouse costumes and run around, entertain kids.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm

I didnt even know nova existed until reading this, I thought you were talking about villanova.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stardaze22

New

Post by Stardaze22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Its the gel man wrote:They're both 4th tier, but which one is better? I would love to live in Miami, but am not sure about St. Thomas' reputation reputation. Well, both the school's reputation suck, to be honest, but I'm most likely going to have to choose between one or the other. One thing that appeals to me about Nova is the program they have in Barcelona where you can get boarded in both Europe and Florida. Is this worth anything? Which one would you choose?

St Thomas. They have a ton of clinics to offer, more than any school in the state, and there is no limit to how many you can do. That is how you make connections, by doing things like clinics. They are well respected, especially in south fl/ miami. Much better than FIU too...moot court team is #4 in nation, beating out FSU and UF. A friend of mine graduated from there and is now working as an assistant attorney general and doing well for himself. Nova is embarrassing and caters more to second career people.

cmraider

Bronze

Post by cmraider » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Is Barry Law not an option?

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm

taxnstuff wrote:I didnt even know nova existed until reading this, I thought you were talking about villanova.
+1

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Stardaze22 wrote:
Its the gel man wrote:They're both 4th tier, but which one is better? I would love to live in Miami, but am not sure about St. Thomas' reputation reputation. Well, both the school's reputation suck, to be honest, but I'm most likely going to have to choose between one or the other. One thing that appeals to me about Nova is the program they have in Barcelona where you can get boarded in both Europe and Florida. Is this worth anything? Which one would you choose?

St Thomas. They have a ton of clinics to offer, more than any school in the state, and there is no limit to how many you can do. That is how you make connections, by doing things like clinics. They are well respected, especially in south fl/ miami. Much better than FIU too...moot court team is #4 in nation, beating out FSU and UF. A friend of mine graduated from there and is now working as an assistant attorney general and doing well for himself. Nova is embarrassing and caters more to second career people.
What?

I'm speechless

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:26 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
taxnstuff wrote:I didnt even know nova existed until reading this, I thought you were talking about villanova.
+1
Lol I thought it was a reference to Villanova at first too.

Edit: OP I just checked out Nova on Wikipedia. The entire section on Nova seems to have been written by a Nova representative. However, there was one line that stood out to me " There is a 22% attrition among 1L's". Plus, it's tuition is listed at like $34k or something like that. Definitely either retake or do something else besides getting a law degree.

Stardaze22

New

Post by Stardaze22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:01 pm

classix wrote:
Stardaze22 wrote:

What?

I'm speechless
you obviously don't know much about the school.

Stardaze22

New

Post by Stardaze22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm

another thing about St. Thomas..it is a smaller school with real camaraderie among the students. They are all pretty close, which is rare for law school, & it makes for a seriously nice environment to go to school in. The professors all have open door policies and are great about assisting from what I've heard and seen. I encourage you to visit, that is what really made me love the school even after hearing about it from friends who graduated from there. There is really a nice feel to this school, and the career service people are actually there to help the students (not make you feel like a number, like fsu or uf) I'd look more into it if I were you. T4 or not, it's respected.

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Stardaze22 wrote:
classix wrote:
Stardaze22 wrote:

What?

I'm speechless
you obviously don't know much about the school.
I know this:
They have "connections"?
#4 Moot court team
Your friend went there

--LinkRemoved--

Look at:

Attrition rate
COA
LSAT
GPA - this is most embarrassing, the median is below 3.0...

Did you know that much?

Don't misinterpret me though, the other is just as bad
NOVA
--LinkRemoved--

Basically the same. Higher GPA, lower LSAT

How is one more embarrassing than the other?

They are part of the failure florida four: Nova, St. Thomas, Barry, Ave Maria

(side note, don't at least 3 of these have christian affiliation? Coincidence or not?...)

I'd also like to see some substantive salary data for a real rodeo here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Retaking is always an option (if you can't now because you're maxed, then wait a year). So is not going to law school.

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Stardaze22 wrote:

another thing about St. Thomas..it is a smaller school with real camaraderie among the students. They are all pretty close, which is rare for law school, & it makes for a seriously nice environment to go to school in. The professors all have open door policies and are great about assisting from what I've heard and seen. I encourage you to visit, that is what really made me love the school even after hearing about it from friends who graduated from there. There is really a nice feel to this school, and the career service people are actually there to help the students (not make you feel like a number, like fsu or uf) I'd look more into it if I were you. T4 or not, it's respected.
Also, it's nice that you say that about the camaraderie, but that doesn't mean anything.

Looking at your post history you applied to at least FSU. Did you not get in and that's why St. Thomas is now more respected? Is that why FSU makes students feel like a number?

I don't want to crush your dreams and burst your imaginary bubble of this amazing school in Florida that no one is giving attention to, but you are only fooling yourself.

That being said, I will humbly take back everything I've said if you show me some decent employment stats. To me that represents "respect" IRL.

fdr123

New

Post by fdr123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:36 pm

St Thomas is a well respected school. It is a very new school and this is why most of you have never heard of it. And for employment, it is the person who gets the job not the school. Yes it helps to go to a tier 2 than a tier 4 but it is the person who goes through the interview and proves he or she can do the job. St. Thomas is up and coming and most of you TLSers only care about rank and prestige. Once you pass the bar and get your first job, the law school you went to means nothing. "In the real world-the world of clients and juries and judges-no one cares about your GPA or LSAT score...All that matters is how good and ethical a lawyer you are."

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 pm

This thread has to be one of the most elaborate troll attempts ever made.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:41 pm

aliarrow wrote:This thread has to be one of the most elaborate troll attempts ever made.
There must be multiple trolls who have been making posts for a month to set this shit up!

That being said,

LET'S TALK EMPLOYMENT, PEOPLE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

When I think of up and coming, I think of 26 year old schools. FIU has already passed them and has been around less than a decade, correct?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:48 pm

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 pm

gwuorbust wrote:QF this threads future: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=123722
haha good point. I guess some questions just have no answer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”