Intramural/Club Sports in Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whitman

Intramural/Club Sports in Law School

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Which top schools have decent club/intramural sports? I was pretty pumped to see that Georgetown seems to have a Georgetown Law Rugby Club team.

alexonfyre

Re: Intramural/Club Sports in Law School

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 am

I hear Yale's Intramural Shaping-the-future-of-society league is pretty competitive year after year. Though they recently changed the scoring to 8 points for ending a decades old civil war, 2 points for every statue built in a player's honor, and 1 point per billion dollars of US National debt reduction.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:09 am

I'm curious about ultimate frisbee intramurals. Any law school teams?

IIRC UVA is super in to softball

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:18 am

akili wrote:I'm curious about ultimate frisbee intramurals. Any law school teams?

IIRC UVA is super in to softball

Ultimate frisbee would be legit. Specifically interested in that, rugby, basketball, triathlons, football, cycling...

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:21 am

Probably any school that has good undergrad intramurals. Just a guess.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:24 am

Are you talking about intramural or club sports? Every school, even ones without an undergrad, will have intramural sports. I went / goto to UG and LS at large state schools that have lots of club sports. I play on a team. We travel like 5 or 6 weekends a year for tournaments and practice once or twice a week. I am a 2L and did not play as a 1L, it would have been tough time-wise. There is 1 other graduate student on the team (MA program) and the rest are undergrads.

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 am

What about PE classes?

You can learn archery at Cornell! http://pe.cornell.edu/physed/

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:41 am

IDK how UVA wouldn’t win this hands down. Softball is by far the most popular intramural sport among lawyers. UVA has a massive law school softball league and they host the national law school softball tournament every year. They also have a drunk softball league where everyone playing has to have a beer in their hand.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:48 am

pjo wrote:IDK how UVA wouldn’t win this hands down. Softball is by far the most popular intramural sport among lawyers. UVA has a massive law school softball league and they host the national law school softball tournament every year. They also have a drunk softball league where everyone playing has to have a beer in their hand.

Wasn't a competition, bro. I like your spirit though and I'd definitely pick you first or second.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:56 am

AreJay711 wrote:
pjo wrote:IDK how UVA wouldn’t win this hands down. Softball is by far the most popular intramural sport among lawyers. UVA has a massive law school softball league and they host the national law school softball tournament every year. They also have a drunk softball league where everyone playing has to have a beer in their hand.

Wasn't a competition, bro. I like your spirit though and I'd definitely pick you first or second.

:lol:

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:56 am

AreJay711 wrote:

Also, I'd be interested in breadth of athletic offerings, not just lots of one. What about people who hate softball? I'm not one of them, I have nothing against softball, but I can see how having a variety of athletic offerings would be preferable.

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 am

AreJay711 wrote:

Haha sorry, I thought everything on TLS was a competition/ranking.

NotImportant

Postby NotImportant » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 am

Georgetown has a Law Rugby Team? Now I really feel jilted that they didn't let me in. I would have had a blast with that.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:54 pm

whitman wrote:I was pretty pumped to see that Georgetown seems to have a Georgetown Law Rugby Club team.

What position do you play?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:56 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whitman wrote:I was pretty pumped to see that Georgetown seems to have a Georgetown Law Rugby Club team.

You trying to start a Michigan Law Ruby Club?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I love intramural sports. I am really looking forward to flag football/soccer/frisbee/softball. I need to make sure I dont play too many because I will end up just playing IMs all day.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

You trying to start a Michigan Law Ruby Club?

We had a grad student club that a few law students played on, but I was under the impression that it stopped playing this year. It played/practiced over by the med school, and since I don't have a car (and was focused on 1L courses) I never gave it a shot last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they started something up again, and I also wouldn't be surprised if some grad/law students practice with the UG club. Of course, I'm also always down to play some touch if you want to play next year.

As far as intramural sports go, Michigan as a whole has a ton, and law students are almost always playing/making teams. The only law school-specific sporting event we have each year, though, is the kickball tournament. It's easily one of my favorite days of the year.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:36 pm

My friend is a 1L at Fordham and said that there is an intramural basketball league where the NY schools play each other. If I end up at STJ or BLS I'll definitely be doing that.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Haven't played since high school, but I played outside center, 13, then. I'd love to play again.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:53 pm

whitman wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Haven't played since high school, but I played outside center, 13, then. I'd love to play again.

Nice, I started out as an outside in high school as well.

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whitman wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Solid. Where'd you end up?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:10 pm

whitman wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
whitman wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:What position do you play?

Solid. Where'd you end up?

Started off at wing/fullback during my first year of UG, and transitioned to regularly playing just fullback (and placekicking duties) by junior/senior year. God I miss playing that sport.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Softball is for over-the-hill former wanna-be athletes.

OP: Any big state school is gonna have good IM leagues. I'm a 1L at a state school w/a big undergrad population, and the football and basketball intramurals have lots of great competition.

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:

Softball is for over-the-hill former wanna-be athletes.

OP: Any big state school is gonna have good IM leagues. I'm a 1L at a state school w/a big undergrad population, and the football and basketball intramurals have lots of great competition.

Not really

Return to “Choosing a Law School”