Cardozo V Brooklyn V Stjohns with 25k/year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ns0291

Cardozo V Brooklyn V Stjohns with 25k/year

Postby ns0291 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Hey everyone!

I was accepted at Cardozo (no scholly), Brooklyn (no scholly yet), and St Johns (25k/year & stipulation is top 50%). I plan on trying to land a job with the IRS (I have a strong Accounting/tax background) and eventually either try to get into BigLaw with my tax background or starting my own tax law practice.

Which school should I go to?

Justathought

Re: Cardozo V Brooklyn V Stjohns with 25k/year

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

ns0291 wrote:Hey everyone!

I was accepted at Cardozo (no scholly), Brooklyn (no scholly yet), and St Johns (25k/year & stipulation is top 50%). I plan on trying to land a job with the IRS (I have a strong Accounting/tax background) and eventually either try to get into BigLaw with my tax background or starting my own tax law practice.

What's your situation? How adverse are you to 75k more in debt? I am really against St. John's these days(not because of their drop in the rankings), so I say if you can stomach the extra debt - go to Cardozo.

ns0291

Postby ns0291 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Justathought wrote:

What's your situation? How adverse are you to 75k more in debt? I am really against St. John's these days(not because of their drop in the rankings), so I say if you can stomach the extra debt - go to Cardozo.

The debt worries me but it seems I have no choice but to take on the student loans. The question is is it worth it to settle for St Johns in order to lower my debt from 150k to 75k. I'm not sure.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm

ns0291 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

The debt worries me but it seems I have no choice but to take on the student loans. The question is is it worth it to settle for St Johns in order to lower my debt from 150k to 75k. I'm not sure.

I'm from NY, I assume you might be too, and I have a few friends at St. John's. They tell horror stories with regards to employment prospects. I don't know anyone at Cardozo, so it might not be much better, but it certainly can't be worse.

ns0291

Postby ns0291 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Justathought wrote:
ns0291 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

I'm from NY, I assume you might be too, and I have a few friends at St. John's. They tell horror stories with regards to employment prospects. I don't know anyone at Cardozo, so it might not be much better, but it certainly can't be worse.

Wow that's spooky. Do you think getting a job with the IRS would be difficult coming out of St.Johns?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

ns0291 wrote:Wow that's spooky. Do you think getting a job with the IRS would be difficult coming out of St.Johns?

Well you said you have a tax background, so of course that will be helpful, but I have no idea how hard it would be to secure a job with the IRS. My gut tells me, just like the DoJ, very very very competitive and extremely difficult from St. John's.

And from Cardozo too. I think Cardozo may offer better alternative exit options though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”