Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
babyoll7304
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby babyoll7304 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:
I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

I'm guessing gay prostitute who finally sucked off the right hiring partner. But at least the school could list you as employed at graduation.


Shockingly, I did not have to suck a single cock for work...


If you claim that law school is a life ruiner then offer up some alternative career recommendations.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:42 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:
I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

I'm guessing gay prostitute who finally sucked off the right hiring partner. But at least the school could list you as employed at graduation.


Shockingly, I did not have to suck a single cock for work...

Skepticalhippo.jpg

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:59 am

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:
I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

I'm guessing gay prostitute who finally sucked off the right hiring partner. But at least the school could list you as employed at graduation.


Shockingly, I did not have to suck a single cock for work...


If you claim that law school is a life ruiner then offer up some alternative career recommendations.



- Nursing. Good pay, right out of school with excellent job opportunities and job safety. Loan repayment offered in many cases. An opportunity to do good on a daily basis. A great profession. You could be a nurse in close to the same time as a lawyer.

- Engineering. Still a good profession. Opens lots of doors.

- Accounting. Generally, accountants are in demand and can usually find work, even now.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:
I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

I'm guessing gay prostitute who finally sucked off the right hiring partner. But at least the school could list you as employed at graduation.


Shockingly, I did not have to suck a single cock for work...


If you claim that law school is a life ruiner then offer up some alternative career recommendations.

To give you a semi-serious response, it's not that law school is a life ruiner by default. It's that a 225k investment with a 10% chance of making a positive return on that investment, is a life ruiner for 90% of people. Debt is no joke, yet you are advocating going into serious debt that it will likely take you your ENTIRE lifetime to pay off. Debt that will stop you from retiring when you want to, or switching jobs if you want to, debt that will strap you down and have stop you from living life the way you would have liked to. This is no joke and that what reasonable man wants you to realize.

babyoll7304
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby babyoll7304 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:

If you claim that law school is a life ruiner then offer up some alternative career recommendations.

To give you a semi-serious response, it's not that law school is a life ruiner by default. It's that a 225k investment with a 10% chance of making a positive return on that investment, is a life ruiner for 90% of people. Debt is no joke, yet you are advocating going into serious debt that it will likely take you your ENTIRE lifetime to pay off. Debt that will stop you from retiring when you want to, or switching jobs if you want to, debt that will strap you down and have stop you from living life the way you would have liked to. This is no joke and that what reasonable man wants you to realize.



I realize that debt is a serious concern -- if I didn't, I wouldn't be asking about which school is worth applying to. And while the professsions that you listed are great careers, they are all heavily math based. I studied language based majors in college and have not done serious math since early high school. Therefore, I am not qualified nor do I have the desire to be in any of those professions. I have done teaching for some time and do not find it at all what I want to do. Do you have a suggestions for someone with my background? (History/English)?

In addition, I am aware of how debilitaing debt can be. I have several friends who are paying of their undergraduate debt (or more than 150,000) and are working 35K jobs. School debt has become part of many people's lives. I was fortunate in that I have zero debt from my undergraduate education. Therefore, I am no worse off than any of my friends who seem to be doing just fine.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:

If you claim that law school is a life ruiner then offer up some alternative career recommendations.

To give you a semi-serious response, it's not that law school is a life ruiner by default. It's that a 225k investment with a 10% chance of making a positive return on that investment, is a life ruiner for 90% of people. Debt is no joke, yet you are advocating going into serious debt that it will likely take you your ENTIRE lifetime to pay off. Debt that will stop you from retiring when you want to, or switching jobs if you want to, debt that will strap you down and have stop you from living life the way you would have liked to. This is no joke and that what reasonable man wants you to realize.



I realize that debt is a serious concern -- if I didn't, I wouldn't be asking about which school is worth applying to. And while the professsions that you listed are great careers, they are all heavily math based. I studied language based majors in college and have not done serious math since early high school. Therefore, I am not qualified nor do I have the desire to be in any of those professions. I have done teaching for some time and do not find it at all what I want to do. Do you have a suggestions for someone with my background? (History/English)?

In addition, I am aware of how debilitaing debt can be. I have several friends who are paying of their undergraduate debt (or more than 150,000) and are working 35K jobs. School debt has become part of many people's lives. I was fortunate in that I have zero debt from my undergraduate education. Therefore, I am no worse off than any of my friends who seem to be doing just fine.


If you think your friends are doing just fine with a 35k a year job and 150k in debt you either aren't paying attention or they are going farther in debt. Or, I guess, possibly, they just haven't realized how royally fucked they are, yet.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby ran12 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:23 pm

OP is going to go to law school whether or not you guys convince her it's a bad investment for the risk/return tradeoff. With a History/English background, there are no jobs out there where she can really have a chance at a lucrative future so even if the debt is high out of law school, it's still worth taking if she's really committed to law.

Of the schools mentioned, Catholic is the best choice by far b/c it'll leave you in the least debt. At sticker they all cost the same and OP will not get money at Brooklyn, St. Johns, or Northeastern. You guys can tell her it's a bad investment but at this point the arguments are repetitive. Just give her solid advice based on the options.

If you build good relationships with the faculty and classmates, and network like crazy, you can get a decent job. The problem is that most people have no idea how to network even if they think they're good at it. Catholic's got a loyal enough alumni base in DC so a lot of persistent networking should pan out.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media and 5 guests