Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reasonable_man

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Where did you go to law school reasonable_man?

I do not, as a rule, release that information as it would out me. There are just not enough TTT grads with good jobs in the NYC area for me to safely blend in. I will say that it is a bottom ranked school. Damn near embarrassing if you ask me.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

I do not, as a rule, release that information as it would out me. There are just not enough TTT grads with good jobs in the NYC area for me to safely blend in. I will say that it is a bottom ranked school. Damn near embarrassing if you ask me.

Or it's because he sent it as a joke. He cannot hire me because most law firms, except those one person offices run by lawyers who went to your school, because of nepatism. But, he has arranged a number of opportunities for my 1L summer employment, which, if I play my cards right, will lead to a job. But by your reasoning, my shit schools and terrible reasoning skills probably won't get me the quality Educaution I need to get any job other than chuckee cheese. By the way, could you seriously go take your negativity and pessimissm somewhere else ? You've already tainted a perfectly good post.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 pm

No. I like it here.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm

reasonable_man wrote:No. I like it here.

Because you don't have a life and spent spend your hours on an anti-TTT law school crusade when you should be working as a lawyer if the big fancy hard to get job that you claim to have.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:34 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:

Because you don't have a life and spent spend your hours on an anti-TTT law school crusade when you should be working as a lawyer if the big fancy hard to get job that you claim to have.

You can feel free to ask operasoprano, paratactical, betasteve and rayineer what type of job I have and where I have worked. They will be glad to confirm my credentials. I'm not an anonymous troll... Many on here know exactly who I am and what I do.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:34 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Or it's because he sent it as a joke. He cannot hire me because most law firms, except those one person offices run by lawyers who went to your school, because of nepatism. But, he has arranged a number of opportunities for my 1L summer employment, which, if I play my cards right, will lead to a job. But by your reasoning, my shit schools and terrible reasoning skills probably won't get me the quality Educaution I need to get any job other than chuckee cheese. By the way, could you seriously go take your negativity and pessimissm somewhere else ? You've already tainted a perfectly good post.

A lot of people mistake realism for pessimism and negativity.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:

Please learn basic grammar before you attack others.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:36 pm

Look, I totally understand if someone has done their homework and decides to go to law school. But you came in here spouting stuff like this:

babyoll7304 wrote: Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.

That's why I said reasonable is doing you a service. Everyone knows that the employment data is gamed. Not just on TLS. Anyone anywhere will confirm this. Your post indicates a thought pattern that is common among naive 0Ls, which goes something like: "Oh well, if I don't end up in the top 5% and make $160,000, I'll just make $120,000 or $100,000." I hope you realize salaries are extremely bimodal. FWIW, if you want to get back to your original topic as you say, if you look at my first reply I don't think Catholic is a terrible choice for you with a favorable stip. Coming out with poor job prospects and $50k in debt is far better than poor job prospects and $200k BLS sticker debt.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Wholigan wrote:Look, I totally understand if someone has done their homework and decides to go to law school. But you came in here spouting stuff like this:

babyoll7304 wrote: Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.

That's why I said reasonable is doing you a service. Everyone knows that the employment data is gamed. Not just on TLS. Anyone anywhere will confirm this. Your post indicates a thought pattern that is common among naive 0Ls, which goes something like: "Oh well, if I don't end up in the top 5% and make $160,000, I'll just make $120,000 or $100,000." I hope you realize salaries are extremely bimodal. FWIW, if you want to get back to your original topic as you say, if you look at my first reply I don't think Catholic is a terrible choice for you with a favorable stip. Coming out with poor job prospects and $50k in debt is far better than poor job prospects and $200k BLS sticker debt.

I agree with this completely. The actual salary of the vast majority of employed law grads (those lucky enough to be working as lawyers), is right around 50k. Paying down 200k worth of debt on 50k is fucking awful. Especially in NY. And if you think that number increases quickly, you're out of your damn mind.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Wholigan wrote:Look, I totally understand if someone has done their homework and decides to go to law school. But you came in here spouting stuff like this:

Thank you. I do appreciate your valid and honest opinion. I will take that into consideration. Less debt overrides sticker price in TTTs apparently.

As for the comment about not knowing basic grammar, I'm typing on an iPhone and apologize for the grammatical errors.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 am

reasonable_man wrote:

Yes, in a city of 8 million people, you're one of the few from a TTT school with a good job. Come on man, I know job prospects are shitty but you're not that anomalous.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 am

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Yes, in a city of 8 million people, you're one of the few from a TTT school with a good job. Come on man, I know job prospects are shitty but you're not that anomalous.

Well, he has posted what year he graduated on this site. In his defense, if he went to a true TTT school, he has probably already narrowed it down to less than 20 people who graduated his year from a TTT school who are working in firms of 100+ in NYC. If he names the school, he will probably narrow it down to less than 5. I wouldn't out myself either.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 am

Wholigan wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Well, he has posted what year he graduated on this site. In his defense, if he went to a true TTT school, he has probably already narrowed it down to less than 20 people who graduated his year from a TTT school who are working in firms of 100+ in NYC. If he names the school, he will probably narrow it down to less than 5. I wouldn't out myself either.

Assuming what he posts in true. But what lawyer at a 100 plus law firm has the desire, time and energy to waste on telling people how horrible their choices for schools Are? It's questionable to say the least.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:38 am

babyoll7304 wrote:Assuming what he posts in true. But what lawyer at a 100 plus law firm has the desire, time and energy to waste on telling people how horrible their choices for schools Are? It's questionable to say the least.

I've never talked to him one-on-one, but he's been posting on this site for years and has never changed his story. His content backs up what he's represented himself as. It looks like he's named several mods and other long-time members of this site who will confirm the accuracy of his content, so I'd believe he's who he says before I'd believe you're who you say. As for taking the time, if I made good friends in law school, only to find the vast majority of them in six-figure debt and unemployed or employed in shitty jobs, that'd be motivation enough for me to spend some time informing others.

BTW this is the post I was referring to last night. Good stuff.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =3&t=75883

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:56 am

Add to that the fact that I left that largeish firm for a small wall street firm with a niche practice and the group becomes even smaller. A simple google search with some basic info I have provided on here would point directly to me.. I've tried.

Op. Since you're so unsure, why not simply ask one of the posters I named about my background? Instead of this absurd rant about questioning my credentials which I have proven time and time again.

As for why I do what I do. I post on here probably no more than a few times a week, at most. It takes very little time. That said, if I can interpose a bit of reality into what is, often times, absurd conversation, then I've done my job. Law school can actually ruin your fucking life. Its a debate that should be had.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Not to be a jerk but OP if you're this easily effected by what people say on this board, it might be tough for you in law school and as a lawyer. With that said, if you're really dead set on law school, go to the one that leaves you in the least debt. But you have to understand that especially in the current law climate, chances of you getting a good job out of one of those schools without significant connections is going to be hard so you're going to have to network like crazy from now until you get a job. Also, considering your situation, forget about picking a region you want to work in; it's all about going where you can get a job.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:59 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Add to that the fact that I left that largeish firm for a small wall street firm with a niche practice and the group becomes even smaller. A simple google search with some basic info I have provided on here would point directly to me.. I've tried.

Op. Since you're so unsure, why not simply ask one of the posters I named about my background? Instead of this absurd rant about questioning my credentials which I have proven time and time again.

As for why I do what I do. I post on here probably no more than a few times a week, at most. It takes very little time. That said, if I can interpose a bit of reality into what is, often times, absurd conversation, then I've done my job. Law school can actually ruin your fucking life. Its a debate that should be had.

Law school can ruin your fucking life. So can a lot of other things. Sitting on a board, telling people how shitty their law schools are and how they will never get a job is not helpful. If you want to do your job, speak openly about your experiences in a polite and respectful manner -- so that people will respond in a positive way instead of posting about how awful peoples' school options and people might actually listen to you.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:41 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Add to that the fact that I left that largeish firm for a small wall street firm with a niche practice and the group becomes even smaller. A simple google search with some basic info I have provided on here would point directly to me.. I've tried.

Law school can ruin your fucking life. So can a lot of other things. Sitting on a board, telling people how shitty their law schools are and how they will never get a job is not helpful. If you want to do your job, speak openly about your experiences in a polite and respectful manner -- so that people will respond in a positive way instead of posting about how awful peoples' school options and people might actually listen to you.

You really just don't get it; do you?

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:48 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:

You really just don't get it; do you?

No. You really just don't get it. You don't know me, my background or the motivation behind going to law school. You don't realize that my entire academic background in college has been leading up to going to law school but it is what I'm PASSIONATE about. Sure, the idea of making good money is appealing but it is more about the education -- whether I practice law as an attorney or use my JD to do something else. I would rather spend 3 years in school (because I LOVE school and miss it) and come out with some debt than spend the next 3 years in a dead end job doing something I hate. At least having graduated from law school I will have more knowledge than I do now. It is not about the money -- it has never been about the money or getting a high paying job -- it's about getting into a career that I am passionate about.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
No. You really just don't get it. You don't know me, my background or the motivation behind going to law school. You don't realize that my entire academic background in college has been leading up to going to law school but it is what I'm PASSIONATE about. Sure, the idea of making good money is appealing but it is more about the education -- whether I practice law as an attorney or use my JD to do something else. I would rather spend 3 years in school (because I LOVE school and miss it) and come out with some debt than spend the next 3 years in a dead end job doing something I hate. At least having graduated from law school I will have more knowledge than I do now. It is not about the money -- it has never been about the money or getting a high paying job -- it's about getting into a career that I am passionate about.

And what reasonableman is trying to tell you is that your choices could very well keep you from getting into a career that you are passionate about.

Also, IBromoshowsupwithhis"whichwayshouldikillmyself"analogy.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 pm

reasonable man wrote:
I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

I'm guessing gay prostitute who finally sucked off the right hiring partner. But at least the school could list you as employed at graduation.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Last edited by Wholigan on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:
I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

I'm guessing gay prostitute who finally sucked off the right hiring partner. But at least the school could list you as employed at graduation.

Shockingly, I did not have to suck a single cock for work...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
reasonable man wrote:

Shockingly, I did not have to suck a single cock for work...

I would suck a cock for a permanent associate job. No homo. Okay, some homo.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:44 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:

And what reasonableman is trying to tell you is that your choices could very well keep you from getting into a career that you are passionate about.

Also, IBromoshowsupwithhis"whichwayshouldikillmyself"analogy.

Which brings up a good point. Is going to a better school and not being in the top percent better than going to a less ranked school and being in the top percent? I have heard that it is always better to be in the top percent of your class than to be in the bottom (I'm not talking T14 but higher TTT)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”