Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
babyoll7304

Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:01 pm

I am hoping that someone might be able to offer up their sagacious opinion.

Alright...Here we go....

I am in the process of figuring out where to attend law school next year. I was accepted to Catholic with a 40,000 scholarship and wait-listed at both American and Brooklyn. I am waiting to hear from St. John's and Northeastern. Geographically, Brooklyn is where I want to be. But I've been hearing that the school is not worth it's sticker price. (70,000+ is ridiculous). Assuming that I can get off the wait-list (which means studying for the LSAT again and retaking in June), it would definitely mean zero scholarship for me.

In your opinion and from your experiences, is money or the actual school more important? (Brooklyn is where I want to be but money is somewhere else)

Any light you can shed on this situation is helpful.

ndirish2010

Re: Brooklyn WL vs. Catholic $$ vs. St. Johns vs. NE???

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

In before retake.

Out of these schools, if you want to go at all, you should go to the cheapest one (Catholic).

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Go with Catholic. If you plan to retake the LSAT, do it in a smart way and really try to do a lot better and go to better schools.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Each of these schools is pretty awful. That said, I'd advise against leaving NY to attend a TTT if your ultimate goal is to come back to NY. I would also advise against attending any of the NY TTTs at sticker.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Each of these schools is pretty awful. That said, I'd advise against leaving NY to attend a TTT if your ultimate goal is to come back to NY. I would also advise against attending any of the NY TTTs at sticker.

I asked for sagacious and helpful advice -- not elitist and discouraging.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Each of these schools is pretty awful. That said, I'd advise against leaving NY to attend a TTT if your ultimate goal is to come back to NY. I would also advise against attending any of the NY TTTs at sticker.

It's realism. Though maybe a little harsh, it's going to be tough to get a good job out of any of these schools.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Brooklyn if they admit you...and you are a trust fund baby

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:50 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:

It's realism. Though maybe a little harsh, it's going to be tough to get a good job out of any of these schools.

Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:

Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.

Fix a splinter prick with a gun shot blast.. I like it.. 92% employment rate counts in a lot of bull shit like baristas, Lsat tutoring, part-time costume cleaner at chuckee cheese and street prostitute (all of which are jobs currently being filled by 2009 graduates of SJU and BLS. I have friend from the 2009 class at the top half of BLS that haven't had an interview yet. Believe me, 2009 employment data from these schools is the same it has been for decades, completely exaggerated and mostly untrue. The lucky grads from these schools are working in insurance defense sweat shops hoping to make 45k AFTER a bonus.

As far as the elitist jab.. Not quite. I attended a way worse TTT than any of the blithering TTTs you're looking at.. I'm not an elitist my any measure sweetheart. I'm a realist.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:06 pm

What is the stip on your scholarship at Catholic? $40k is pretty much full tuition, right? That's the most reasonable out of any of these options, assuming the stip is fair.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.[/quote]

Fix a splinter prick with a gun shot blast.. I like it.. 92% employment rate counts in a lot of bull shit like baristas, Lsat tutoring, part-time costume cleaner at chuckee cheese and street prostitute (all of which are jobs currently being filled by 2009 graduates of SJU and BLS. I have friend from the 2009 class at the top half of BLS that haven't had an interview yet. Believe me, 2009 employment data from these schools is the same it has been for decades, completely exaggerated and mostly untrue. The lucky grads from these schools are working in insurance defense sweat shops hoping to make 45k AFTER a bonus.

As far as the elitist jab.. Not quite. I attended a way worse TTT than any of the blithering TTTs you're looking at.. I'm not an elitist my any measure sweetheart. I'm a realist.[/quote]

It sounds like the rants of a jaded law student to me. Yes, there's going to be anomalies of students who just can't find of a job. There's always horror stories that people try to use as "standards". 54.5% of 2009 Brooklyn law grads went into law firms. So obviously, the majority of them (seeing as how they're 50%) are not part-time costume cleaner at chuckee cheeses or a street prostitutes. As for the elitist jab, sorry. We can't all get into T14 schools. Good thing they have lots of "blitering TTTs" that idiots like us can attend.

chicago520

Postby chicago520 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:10 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.

As far as the elitist jab.. Not quite. I attended a way worse TTT than any of the blithering TTTs you're looking at.. I'm not an elitist my any measure sweetheart. I'm a realist.[/quote]

It sounds like the rants of a jaded law student to me. Yes, there's going to be anomalies of students who just can't find of a job. There's always horror stories that people try to use as "standards". 54.5% of 2009 Brooklyn law grads went into law firms. So obviously, the majority of them (seeing as how they're 50%) are not part-time costume cleaner at chuckee cheeses or a street prostitutes. As for the elitist jab, sorry. We can't all get into T14 schools. Good thing they have lots of "blitering TTTs" that idiots like us can attend.[/quote]

wow. hopeless.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:Listen, I realize that law school is going to be difficult. I've known this for the 3 years I've spent debating it. And now with the economy gone to shit -- it's going to be even more difficult than ever. That said, the 2009 class employment rate for Brooklyn and St. John's was 92.00%. Were the jobs paying 160,000 a year? No. But did they have jobs? Yes -- which is a lot more than I can say for someone with just a college degree, like myself, in a struggling economy.

It sounds like the rants of a jaded law student to me. Yes, there's going to be anomalies of students who just can't find of a job. There's always horror stories that people try to use as "standards". 54.5% of 2009 Brooklyn law grads went into law firms. So obviously, the majority of them (seeing as how they're 50%) are not part-time costume cleaner at chuckee cheeses or a street prostitutes. As for the elitist jab, sorry. We can't all get into T14 schools. Good thing they have lots of "blitering TTTs" that idiots like us can attend.[/quote]

Best of luck to you. With reasoning skills like these, you'll make a terrific lawyer. There will be DWI AND traffic infraction firms just chomping at the bit to get their hands on you after graduation!!!

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:16 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

As far as the elitist jab.. Not quite. I attended a way worse TTT than any of the blithering TTTs you're looking at.. I'm not an elitist my any measure sweetheart. I'm a realist.

Best of luck to you. With reasoning skills like these, you'll make a terrific lawyer. There will be DWI AND traffic infraction firms just chomping at the bit to get their hands on you after graduation!!![/quote]

Thanks! Maybe after I attend law school, we can face off in court...that is if you're not working as a street prostitute or at chuckee cheese. If you are, say hi to the mouse for me.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I can say with absolute certainty, unless something goes horribly wrong in my career, that we will not see each other in court, unless of course I'm walking briskly past the foreclosure part on my way to the Commercial Division for a hearing and I accidentally bump into you in the hall way. But the likelihood of that is low as they usually keep the trash near the basement, far far away from any of the Court rooms I frequent. Though I must admit, I did handle a pro bono land lord tenant matter for a nice girl I went to high school with in need of some help, so I suppose it is technically possible we would see each other, but again, highly unlikely.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:25 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I can say with absolute certainty, unless something goes horribly wrong in my career that we will not see each other in court, unless of course I'm walking briskly past the foreclosure part on my way to the Commercial Division for a hearing and I accidentally bump into you in the hall way. But the likelihood of that is low as they usually keep the trash near the basement, far far away from any of the Court rooms I frequent. Though I must admit, I did handle a pro bono land lord tenant matter for a nice girl I went to high school with in need of some help, so I suppose it is technically possible we would see each other, but again, highly unlikely.

Since you're holding your career in such high esteem and you did graduate from a TTT, I guess that gives me hope for attending my schools and having a successful career in law.

Thanks for this great advice. I must have met you when I was doing volunteer work for AmeriCorps. You definitely seem like a giving person who must do a lot of pro bono and actually make a difference with your JD.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:28 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I can say with absolute certainty, unless something goes horribly wrong in my career that we will not see each other in court, unless of course I'm walking briskly past the foreclosure part on my way to the Commercial Division for a hearing and I accidentally bump into you in the hall way. But the likelihood of that is low as they usually keep the trash near the basement, far far away from any of the Court rooms I frequent. Though I must admit, I did handle a pro bono land lord tenant matter for a nice girl I went to high school with in need of some help, so I suppose it is technically possible we would see each other, but again, highly unlikely.

Since you're holding your career in such high esteem and you did graduate from a TTT, I guess that gives me hope for attending my schools and having a successful career in law.

Thanks for this great advice. I must have met you when I was doing volunteer work for AmeriCorps. You definitely seem like a giving person who must do a lot of pro bono and actually make a difference with your JD.

I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:46 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:

I'm the exception, not the rule and frankly, what I went through to get where I am is something that a) most won't do and b) required a lot of luck for things to fall into place. As far as my commitment to pro bono, I take on pro bono cases when I believe I should and do take time out of my schedule to help people when I think that someone is deserving of a helping hand. Unlike volunteers in Americorps and the like, I do it quietly, without recognition and only for the discrete purpose of helping someone out.

You just said you are discrete with your purpose of helping someone out but sentences before you also categorized helping a girl from high school as "pro bono". If you simply were helping her out for the sole purpose of helping someone in need with the intent of being discrete, I highly doubt you would consider it pro bono -- wouldn't it just be a favor? It must right next to helping old ladies cross the street in your pro-bono portfolio.

And yes, many people help out others for the simple joy of helping them out. If AmeriCorps volunteers didn't, they wouldn't be coming together to join an organization bigger than themselves, get paid zero money for two years, live off rice and beans and still have the desire to help people out. Luckily, those who do join AmeriCorps and similar programs, have the brains to realize that in order to make drastic change and help the most amount of people at a time, there is strength in numbers.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Dude, stop arguing with reasonable man. Just stop. He actually IS quite reasonable and does a good service here, in my opinion, and is not here to personally attack anyone. Do a search and try to find his Hofstra thread and let's not have a repeat of that pwnage.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Take the money or take the test again, says I.

..I'd go with the retake-- invest in a tutor/class whatever. A huge bump in your score will == 10s of thousands of dollars in scholarships, so I'd make the investment.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Wholigan wrote:Dude, stop arguing with reasonable man. Just stop. He actually IS quite reasonable and does a good service here, in my opinion, and is not here to personally attack anyone. Do a search and try to find his Hofstra thread and let's not have a repeat of that pwnage.

Seriously? (PS: I'm giggling at the irony of his name) All he does is go onto peoples' posts about which TTT school to choose and shits on them -- literally (no, not literally...that's just disgusting). The posts are all about WHICH law school to choose -- not about should I go to law school. These people have already chosen that they are going to law school and are asking for advice on which to choose. Sitting there telling them how awful the schools are is not helpful. 3 years of hearing negative feedback from jaded people like him hasn't deterred me from applying to school -- so why does this anonymous man think that replying to a post to tell me how shitty my schools are is going to change my mind? I'm going to one of these schools -- telling me not to is like talking to a brick wall. SO LEAVE THE POST AND go attempt to save others from law school. K THANKS BYE.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:
Wholigan wrote:Dude, stop arguing with reasonable man. Just stop. He actually IS quite reasonable and does a good service here, in my opinion, and is not here to personally attack anyone. Do a search and try to find his Hofstra thread and let's not have a repeat of that pwnage.

Seriously? (PS: I'm giggling at the irony of his name) All he does is go onto peoples' posts about which TTT school to choose and shits on them -- literally (no, not literally...that's just disgusting). The posts are all about WHICH law school to choose -- not about should I go to law school. These people have already chosen that they are going to law school and are asking for advice on which to choose. Sitting there telling them how awful the schools are is not helpful. 3 years of hearing negative feedback from jaded people like him hasn't deterred me from applying to school -- so why does this anonymous man think that replying to a post to tell me how shitty my schools are is going to change my mind? I'm going to one of these schools -- telling me not to is like talking to a brick wall. SO LEAVE THE POST AND go attempt to save others from law school. K THANKS BYE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:16 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

Been there -- seen it. My uncle, who is managing partner at a firm, actually sent it to me. If he can't convince me, no one can. Keep the post moving -- onto your next victim.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Where did you go to law school reasonable_man?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

If your uncle, who knows you, and is also a "managing partner" at a law firm and thus would be in a position to employ you (therefore eliminating the worst risk in attending law school - economic ruin), is telling you not to go to school... Maybe its because he knows you're an idiot and shouldn't waste your time, but is, at the same time, too nice to tell you that directly? Because honestly, you have the temperament of a stubborn child and the reasoning skills of a inanimate object.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”