Having a tough time with this one... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go??

Michigan (15,000/year)
56%
GULC (15,000/year)
5%
UCLA (30,000/year)
38%

Total votes: 39

jfb

Bronze

Having a tough time with this one...

Post by jfb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:38 pm

A bit about me: Lived my whole life and went to UG in Michigan; very eager to move on. Will be married by the time I begin LS this fall so minimizing debt is an important factor for me. GULC would be my first choice, but given the other offers, I am unsure if it is the wisest. Would be happy working on either coast (LA, SF, DC, Boston) after LS, but would prefer the west. Not sure what kind of work I want to do yet, but previous work experience has been in public policy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TheFactor

Silver

Re: Having a tough time with this one...

Post by TheFactor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:41 pm

West coast preference + desire to minimize debt + eagerness to move on from UMich = UCLA BABY

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Cost of living in DC is probably double what it would be in Ann Arbor. Combined with Michigan's better employment prospects and national reach compared to Georgetown, I'd say suck it up and spend 3 more years in Michigan.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:51 pm

src42 wrote:Cost of living in DC is probably double what it would be in Ann Arbor. Combined with Michigan's better employment prospects and national reach compared to Georgetown, I'd say suck it up and spend 3 more years in Michigan.
I'd do this as well. If you were all CA focused, I'd say UCLA. UCLA probably won't translate well to DC or Boston, while Mich would (as would Gtown, but COL + lower job prospects make UMich a much better choice).

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:52 pm

I say if you prefer the West Coast take UCLA. Living in LA will also be better than living in MI I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

UCLA for the West...

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:35 pm

So, it seems that the only real reason to pick GULC over the other two would be to live in DC during school because UMich would place as well (if not better) in East coast markets and UCLA and UMich would both place better in LA/SF area?? Is this a pretty accurate statement?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:56 pm

having not read the thread at all, UMich is the correct response.

charliebrownwn

New

Post by charliebrownwn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:02 pm

jfb wrote:So, it seems that the only real reason to pick GULC over the other two would be to live in DC during school because UMich would place as well (if not better) in East coast markets and UCLA and UMich would both place better in LA/SF area?? Is this a pretty accurate statement?
GULC would likely have a stronger public policy focus, in terms of networking/convenient opportunities, which you mentioned. How important this is is up to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”